Author Topic: Are older games better than newer ones?  (Read 3999 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
Re: Are older games better than newer ones?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2015, 01:56 »
*snip*

I think with games that have relatively simpler interfaces in general you will find stuff like this all over the place.  I do believe that you are correct though - they're trying to 1up presentation and "fun factor" and it strips away some good design.  Other times they're trying to add new things and they don't spend as much time balancing it.

It also seems like there's a lot more stingy time constraints so you end up with games that the company pushes out a bit sooner than the designers would like so you end up with a slapdash job.  Look at the second half of FE Awakening to get a better idea of what I mean, cause the first 1/3 is actually pretty well-done and a few chapters after that but the quality just goes down quickly in map design and plot right afterwards.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Are older games better than newer ones?
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2015, 02:40 »
I think with games that have relatively simpler interfaces in general you will find stuff like this all over the place.  I do believe that you are correct though - they're trying to 1up presentation and "fun factor" and it strips away some good design.  Other times they're trying to add new things and they don't spend as much time balancing it.

It also seems like there's a lot more stingy time constraints so you end up with games that the company pushes out a bit sooner than the designers would like so you end up with a slapdash job.  Look at the second half of FE Awakening to get a better idea of what I mean, cause the first 1/3 is actually pretty well-done and a few chapters after that but the quality just goes down quickly in map design and plot right afterwards.

Yeah definitely, I remember a couple of years ago we were promised one new main-series Pokemon game a year and while I'm dying for Pokemon Delta Emerald or whatever I'm happy to wait for it and I'm glad we haven't seen annual Pokemon games, too much would get regurgitated otherwise and it'd just feel like routine.

I think it's because the video game market has become so much more valuable in recent years. It's not so much the case right now in 2015 but in 2011-2014 video game tech was driving a lot of the progress in the overall technological world because there was a lot of money and funding in the industry for breakthrough tech. I'm glad we had that bubble and that it's not totally over, but I want them to focus more on really fleshing the games out now.

My first nostalgia will always be the SNES and GBC because of Pokemon and Mario but I'm quite nostalgic for the first DS era. They do feel a bit ancient now but there were so many great games for the Nintendo DS once it picked up momentum. It was like the gift that kept giving, definitely one of my favorite video game golden-eras so far.