Author Topic: World Cup Brazil 2014  (Read 8570 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup Brazil 2014
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 23:16 »
I agree that the players aren't as good, but I don't think that's England's problem. our problem is that we manage to have a good squad, but consistently fail to make them play like a good team. The whole "Gerrard and Lampard can't play together" thing people always used to talk about really applies to the whole team. In friendlies against what should be far weaker teams, the general quality of our play makes us look on about the same level. I can't remember too many games I've watched and thought "we actually had a really good game there."

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 23:23 »
The Lampard Gerrard problem arose because neither of them were suited to playing in a 4-4-2 with both as CMs because they did very similar roles at their clubs in their prime (as in offensive minded box-to-box midfielders) and then as time went on England got progressively worse and worse. Without that central fire as it were which should have been our strongest position we really struggled. A change of formation would have worked best but then that may have sacrificed other players; at that point neither Rooney or Owen would have been capable as playing as a lone striker and there would have been a massive backlash if Heskey was picked ahead of them. We've always needed an influential left winger too, something we still lack now (although I do think Lallana could be a productive impact sub there).

Now our team just isn't great. Our defence is pretty weak bar left back and our midfield is getting old (plus Wilshere hasn't been great this season and Cleverley hasn't developed as well as predicted). We just need that spark that Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney had that just wasn't applied consistently enough. Barkley could be it in years but this WC will come too soon for him to properly influential I feel.

Really is more of a transitional period for England more than anything. 2018 could be okay but the U21s have also been under performing so maybe they're not that good either :P

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 23:50 »
2018 might be interesting, not for the U21s as much as the players who are starting to emerge who are first team already. Henderson as you've mentioned, Lallana, maybe sterling, Phil jones if he has a position.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 00:02 »
2018 might be interesting, not for the U21s as much as the players who are starting to emerge who are first team already. Henderson as you've mentioned, Lallana, maybe sterling, Phil jones if he has a position.

As a prediction I expect it to be

Rooney

Lallana Barkley Ward-Prowse
Wilshere Chalobah

Shaw Jones Smalling Clyne

Hart

Depends how the likes of Will Hughes, Zaha and Morrison develop though

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 14:46 »
The other problem is that if you don't play for United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea you've got no chance of playing for England. Even though there's players at Everton (Jags and Baines being an exception) and Southampton that could get in.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 18:42 »
I was gonna say you missed out Man City Milsap then I realised that they don't do English players :laugh:

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 20:29 »
The other problem is that if you don't play for United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea you've got no chance of playing for England. Even though there's players at Everton (Jags and Baines being an exception) and Southampton that could get in.

Tbf to Hodgson he's been giving more chances to players outside the big clubs

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 22:51 »
I was gonna say you missed out Man City Milsap then I realised that they don't do English players :laugh:

Richards, Hart and Milner are their only three I think :P
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel