Author Topic: Ridiculously Defensive Fire/Steel  (Read 5106 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

quack98

Re: Ridiculously Defensive Fire/Steel
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 12:48 »
That looks awesome! But, like you said, maybe not quite Pokémon like. It looks a little like a Golurk counterpart.

I had an idea of a Fire Breathing armoured dinosaur that looks something like this:

(excuse the absolutely awful drawing, it was more just to show a suggestion)

If you wanted a recovery move for the robot, what about Morning Sun? Say it's a guardian of a desert temple or something, so it used the sunlight to recover HP? I don't know... That's the best I can think of.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 12:54 »
Thank you! Golurk did come to mind while I was drawing it, haha. But yeah, at least we agree it could use a redesign...

I actually like the idea of an armored dino. Was toying with making the knight-thingy part salamander, too, but the tail looked out of place on it. I'll see what I can do!

As for Morning Sun... I think that'd work best in a Sunny Day team, and even then it's highly situational. I'll have to look up other recovery moves when I get a chance...

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 12:58 »
Solar panel design features!

(cool concept Monstermon :) )

quack98

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 13:01 »
Instant Recovery moves that arent affected by weather are:

Recover; Roost; Softboiled; Milk Drink; Slack Off; Heal Order & Rest

Damaging recovery moves are:

Absorb; Mega Drain; Giga Drain; Horn Leech; Drain Punch; Leech Life; Dream Eater; Present (sort of) & Leech Seed (sort of)

Constant recovery moves are:

Aqua Ring; Leech Seed (again) & Ingrain

Weather dependent Recovery moves are:

Synthesis; Moonlight & Morning Sun

I think that's all, if that helps you choose one.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 13:28 »
@Liam: Thanks! I'm thinking maybe keeping the "absorb heat with metal" thing is a good idea.

...which leads me to the dino-thing!

A lot happier with how this one came out; it looks a lot more like a Pokemon imo. Maybe this thing could learn Stealth Rock and Dragon Tail, too?

@ディック: Ah, thanks for the list! Out of the straight-up healing moves, Slack Off is a bit of a stretch flavor-wise, but it's the most plausible for the dino-thing, I think. Wouldn't work at all for the knight, though. Best bet is probably Morning Sun for the dino, if I had to pick one.

quack98

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 13:34 »
I love that drawing! I think that would take the place of Victini in my usual team ;D

Looking at that drawing, It'd be quite cool if it learned some sort of cannon based move, because the things on its back look like mortars (or motorbike exhausts...).

If you wanted to use recover, the entry for recover says it 'replecates it's own cells', not completely out of the question if it fitted into the story. (Something Mewtwo-esque, maybe? Especially with the new antagonists being called what they are.)

MonsterMon64

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 13:43 »
^Haha, thanks!  ;D

Well, I looked up what other Pokemon have a Base Stat of 580, and a seems a lot of them are part of some sort of "Trio", so having two more and having them all be genetically engineered would be interesting, at least! Thinking Electric/Steel for one of them, can't decide on the third*,  but they'd all be armored dinos of some sort... This is sort of turning out to be pretty cool! Still iffy on giving it recover just because it's genetically engineered, though. I'll wait to see what others have to say.

*I'm leaning towards Water/Steel for the third. I'd say Ice/Steel, but hoo baby, the weaknesses on that thing...

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 13:52 »
Ice/Steel would be decent offensively, focusing on the Ice type without taking damage from Stealth Rock.

Anyway, I like the design! It reminds me of Terrakion too! With the above design, I'd say Solid Rock isn't an entirely implausible ability for it either, and it'd help it defensively. Especially if it burned coal in those tails! :3
Discord - richardblaziken

quack98

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 13:55 »
Water/Steel or Ice/Steel could be interesting, maybe a Plesiosaur type thing? And then Electric/Steel could be based on a Quetzalcoatlus, to do a Land/Sea/Air sort of trio?

Solid Rock would be an awesome ability for it, it'd certainly make Earthquake and Close Combat less threatening.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 13:58 by ディック »

MonsterMon64

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 14:01 »
Yes! Solid Rock sounds pretty perfect to me. And yeah, definitely Plesio for the Water or Ice one. If we did a Land/Sea/Air thing for sure, then I can actually see the Electric/Steel getting Levitate, haha.

Anyway, now that we have some base stats, an ability, and a concept of what the darn thing looks like, maybe we can start focusing on learnset, strategies, etc. (Obviously not all the level-up moves have to be GREAT, just believable. For example, I can see this thing using Smokescreen but competitively it's pretty bleh.)

quack98

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 14:04 »
Although it wouldn't be particularly useful, I can see this thing getting Head Smash as an egg move.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 14:05 »
Well that's assuming it can even breed, haha. I definitely see it as something it can learn naturally, though!

quack98

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 14:07 »
I suppose it would be a little hard to find an egg group for  ;D

Maybe the movesets for the three should link up? E.g.
Level 50: Fire Blast/Thunder/Hydro Pump (or Blizzard)

That's just an example, of course, but you know what I mean?

MonsterMon64

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 14:10 »
That's usually how the trios do it, yeah. They also have similar stats, which is why I'm sort of hesitant to make a defensive Ice/Steel. Either way, I can see the Plesiosaur getting Marvel Scale...

quack98

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 14:19 »
Yeah, that definitely makes sense.

Maybe as a rough thing for the first 20 levels:
Level 1: Ember/Water Gun/Thunder Shock
Level 1: Leer
Level 4: Withdraw
Level 8: Metal Claw
Level 12: WoW/Aqua Ring/Thunder Wave
Level 16: Flash Cannon
Level 20: Flame Wheel/Water Pulse/Shock Wave