Author Topic: Describe your social media presence  (Read 7875 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline q.c.™

• Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
  • Sentret Fan
  • Hi, I'm Marcus.
    • View Profile
Describe your social media presence
« on: June 25, 2014, 18:24 »
So. I recently deactivated all of my social media accounts.

I was at one point an avid user of tumblr. Deleted that last summer along with an embarrassing twitter account. And then the other day (after watching a documentary on internet privacy) I deleted my remaining Instagram account and closed my Facebook account. I also closed any other remaining internet accounts that I have and if I remember anymore I'll delete those too.

So as of now I only have an account on this forum and a google/gmail account. And a YouTube channel but it's connected to the google account.

So I'm curious to know what others do in terms of social media and how do u feel about having a presence in the digital world.

Wolstenholme

Re: Describe your social media presence
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 18:48 »
I'm not addicted to social media, but I AM in love with it - I like finding out about people's opinions and thoughts and the sort of things you just wouldn't ask about in any normal conversation. I also like the way that social media now keeps you quickly updates with news and stuff that you're interested in. I think tumblr in particular is good for using social media to do good as I had the address to my blog on the CV I handed in to sixth form for my tutor to look at a couple of months ago and she actually went to my blog and said that [a book reviewing blog link] in my CV would help me get the sort of job that I wanted. I also use social media a lot for making plans and doing group homework.

Sometimes, though, I go on social media too much and it is a procrastination machine. Some people also say that having social media on our phones is a bad development but I don't think that's true because having social media on my phone with push notifications reduced my need to go on line because I know when something is happening that concerns me, which is good when I'm trying to boycott it to do homework haha.

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:23 »
tumblr 100% of the time

twitter/fb/youtube/instagram/whatever else like .01% of the time

i care about tumblr more because i have better friends there. fb just reminds me of how bitter i am and the rest are just like w/e.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 05:58 »
i use facebook, occasionally instagram, and snapchat.

i typically use facebook to keep in touch and as a way to kind of caption my own life so i can look back on it. i hardly text or call and a lot of my friends use facebook groups and stuff to arrange hanging out so it just makes things easier

instagram is for when i take a picture thats decent quality / funny

snapchat is where random moments in my life go to be shared and then promptly die

i think its fun, but some people definitely go nuts with it. i see some of my friends on facebook just go... nuts -- i'm talking 1,000+ friends, and posting stuff every few hours every day. kind of sad, because you wonder how many opportunities for things they're missing out on by spending so much time sitting in front of a screen blowing their friendships and general life activities out of proportion.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:00 by еcho »

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 09:50 »
I've got a tumblr, Facebook, instagram and snapchat.
I post the most on tumblr, it's my little bubble away from people I know irl where I can be myself. I've had it for almost 4 years this year, thinking of making a new blog but I'm not sure lol. Only just hit 3000 posts the other night.
I only really post good news things or photos on Facebook, don't sit and update my status 6 times a day, usually once or twice a week. Like Liz says it's good to use to talk to friends easily, we had a class pm group which was handy if you were stuck or needed to vent. I only have about 240 friends on it, these are all people I actually know online/offline and I've spoken to. I don't get those people who have like 2000 friends??
I only just made an instagram a few weeks ago, quite like it. I like taking photos anyway ha.
Snapchat is fun and dumb, I tend to use it most when I'm drunk though :u

I did have a Twitter but I deleted it when I realised how petty some people were on it and the passive aggressive tweets were annoying.

I lurk on Facebook more than I post, too much of a time waster sometimes. Same for tumblr.
Also pro tip if you have Facebook a lot of prospective employers look you up now so don't have 1000 photos of you falling out a taxi into your own vomit. Privacy settings are useful in that way. Only thing I dislike is how much Facebook mines information :|
I tend not give my fb out and my tumblr is only posted on forums etc, I don't have it listed on any places like Facebook purely because I like having my own space.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:55 »
I used to use Steam, and now I use Skype and this site.

I left Steam because of all the dramas you already know, and Skype... there I have the most enjoyable people of Steam + some other guys I like. This site is this site, you know.
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:37 »
I use facebook to share photos with my friends as memories and use the chat pretty much every day. I have snapchat as well, but I don't really use it that often. I used to have twitter but that was kind of boring.

Offline q.c.™

• Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
  • Sentret Fan
  • Hi, I'm Marcus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 17:16 »
Hmm. I forgot to mention that when I deleted my facebook i had cut my friends down to 86. And I had a photography show last month and we kept it organized and updated with a facebook group so I had to have a facebook for my class, essentially.

And I did have a snapchat as well but it was really pointless imo. I think tumblr appeals to people because of the exposure to art and out of all social media I've used it's the one where I made the most friends on the internet that I actually still talk to.

I did have a Twitter but I deleted it when I realised how petty some people were on it and the passive aggressive tweets were annoying.

I had a twitter when I was going through an intense infatuation with Justin Bieber so most of my twitter was dedicated and revolved around that. You want to see some petty people, hit up the Bieber fandom.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 17:32 »
Twitter / Facebook / Youtube is all I have. I really don't want to bother with tumblr, to be honest.

I use Twitter often but I rarely tweet, Facebook is used occasionally and I almost never post on there and Youtube is used everyday but I never upload videos.

I'm not too bothered about having presence on social media though, so that's probably why I don't post / tweet often.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 17:53 »
I watch YouTube videos and sometimes lurk some stuff on Reddit but that's about it.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 17:57 »
got my email account, a youtube, facebook and twitter

and my tumblr has 800ish followers but only cause i'm doing a giveaway atm :B it was a 300 follower giveaway and i've p much tripled  my followers

also on a few other sites like dragcave (man, remember dragcave), flight rising (i'm obsessed with coatls help me), deviantart and a couple rp sites
also here obviously

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 22:26 »
I lurk on Facebook more than I post, too much of a time waster sometimes.

Mostly this. Only FB. I check it more than I should but it's more of a boredom habit kinda thing. I guess like PUK used to be for me "back in the day". I only really use it to take the mickey out of people and message friends. Oh, and to do those stupid quizzes.

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 22:39 »
I think the term is "lurker". I use facebook purely for messaging and have 1 picture of me hidden away in it, I have a twitter account just to follow funny things and had a tumblr because I wanted to know what the hell it was...turns out it's mostly angsty teenage girls screaming about fandoms and posting irritating gifs. That and tumblr feminists, which make the former seem like a delight in comparison.

At least I'm consistent online and offline I suppose, no fake persona here.

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 22:48 »
there's a couple of forums i go on to talk to mysterious things i've acquired apparently called "friends", i think i spelled that right?? 

got a facebook so my family could contact me, they're all i've got on there aside from a few others i'm close to, they use it quite a lot so if i don't go on it then i miss out on things. 
and i use the facebook chat function when i can't be bothered to text or am feeling cheap. 

i've a tumblr too which is rubbish (i think that's a requirement for me on social media) where i can get overexcited over the existence of insects and laugh at how most people on there are almost as embarrassing as me. 

think i made a twitter once after being convinced to, then never used it. same for last.fm. never bothered with instagram. have an imgur and youtube, but just use em to keep track of pictures and videos rather than doing any of that newfangled communication stuff that all the young'uns are raving on about these days when they're not trespassing on my property /shakes walking stick/ 

so yeah i hover about, think a couple of people on here are aware of the car crash which is my tumblr but if you aren't then your life is greatly enriched. 

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 16:45 »
All I have is facebook, and all I use that for is the games. That's it. So... not much presence. Well, FB and a Yahoo email account.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN