Author Topic: Moves/abilities you thought were introduced in later gens  (Read 1020 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

E.C.A.M.B.S.

I was looking at the move Me First today, which I had always thought was introduced in Gen 5, and realized that it came in the 4th Gen. This may be because I associate Me First with After You, which is a Gen 5 move for sure. The same happened with Rock Wrecker, which was apparently Rhyperior's signature move in Gen 4. I had only seen Gen 5 Pokemon such as Crustle and Conkeldurr use it

As for abilities I always thought that Adaptability was Gen 5 but I guess not. The same goes for Leaf Guard. Which abilities or moves did you think were introduced later than they actually were?

Offline Mockery for One

• Was never a...
  • Rex Fan
  • Naah, this ain't cool.
    • View Profile
Re: Moves/abilities you thought were introduced in later gens
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:38 »
Not moves, but Pokemon, but I mistook Slugma, Skarmory, and Phanpy for Hoenn natives.

Many people thought Waterfall was a 2gen move, but it existed in 1gen, and only the Goldeen line could learn it... At Lv. 39.

Offline The name master

• The name rater's rival!
  • Joeno Fan
  • I rate your nicknames (unofficially)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:59 »
Not moves, but Pokemon, but I mistook Slugma, Skarmory, and Phanpy for Hoenn natives.
I thought skarmory and Slugma were hoenn pokemon too till I found out they were from johto. I knew Phanpy was a johto pokemon though...
Thanks to Inferna for one of the many reasons why I love Dragonite!

E.C.A.M.B.S.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:15 »
I was looking at smogon's suggested sets for Drapion in DP earlier today and noticed that its ability was Sniper. I had always thought that Sniper was introduced in Gen 5 as a hidden ability of Spinarak, since a whole slew of hidden abilities like Rattled and Moody came in Gen 5.

I also thought that Super Luck was Gen 5 because I only found out about it when I saw it on Pidove. Another of one of Pidove's abilities, Big Pecks, I mistook for a Gen 4 ability, maybe because it reminds me of Thick Fat

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 10:06 »
wait moody came in gen 5? i thought bidoof had in in gen 4-
looked it up, so apparently it did come in gen 5. huh! that's one of the examples i'll provide then lmao

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

MonsterMon64

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 00:21 »
My memory's a bit iffy about it, but I think the first time I had even heard of Kinesis was in a Gold and Silver Player's Guide... unless it was listed in the Red and Blue player's guide, which is even weirder, considering Kinesis wasn't legitimately learned by anything until Yellow.

Either way, the move is pretty much fated to be obscure. Never mind that lawsuit, it's an inaccurate, accuracy-reducing move which hasn't seen any improvement since its debut, and you'd need to pay a Move Reminder just for the novelty of having the move. Even Flash got better treatment Gen 4 and up, yeesh.

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 01:25 »
I always thought that Spark was Gen 1 until RSE came out and the Internet was more common.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!