Author Topic: Rules and tips in a nutshell!  (Read 23376 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
Rules and tips in a nutshell!
« on: November 14, 2008, 20:30 »
I don't need any introduction, just post more and get to know me!  I'll start with the most important thing; if you want the full set of rules, click here!  I'll be condensing it for you so you can be wary of some of the more commonly broken rules.  Trust me, they're really easy to follow.

Three Word Minimum - Anything below 3 words is forbidding, but 3 words is allowed.
No Spamming - Should be self-explanatory, make your posts relevant and try to avoid redundancy!
Avatars/Signatures - Avatar/Signature total is at most 150 kB, so you can have a 100 kB avatar and a 50 kB signature.  That's 153,600 bytes btw!  Avatars are 100x100 pixels.
Reporting posts/"Mini-modding" - Don't try to enforce rules, it's spam and you can't do anything about it!  Use the "report to moderator" button.  Don't abuse the button either.
Double Posting - Self-explanatory, basically you can't post more than one time in a row.  There are exceptions; if your first post is more than 10,000 characters then go ahead and make a second post.
Some Exceptions to the above - There are instances where it will be allowed, read this post for more details.  In a nutshell, if you want to update your art/writing thread, then you can post again.  So long as there was more than a couple days between updates, and you aren't posting more than 2-3 times in a row.  It's just a matter of common sense!
Swearing - Obviously, do not swear.  "hell" "damn" "piss" "crap" is allowed.  Use your common sense!  If it's censored on American television then it is not allowed (b (five letters) and b (seven letters) also aren't allowed).
Respect - Everyone deserves it!  Treat others the way you want to be treated!
Flaming - Don't try to pick a fight with someone!  You can debate, but if someone does something to piss you off report them to a moderator!
Flood Control - Not a rule, but you have to wait 30 seconds between each post!  If you try to post 29 seconds before another post, then you have to wait another 30 seconds!  Watch out!
Added note - If you made a post, and it told you to wait 30 seconds, then you hit "Back", then make sure you refresh the page before you try to post again!  It also helps to copy your content out of the box.

The IRC

Link:  http://pkmn.net/?action=content&page=viewpage&id=3601&parentsection=36

It's a chatroom for people to hang out in!  If there's no activity, try to make some!

This runs on Java btw, so make sure your computer can use that.  If you don't want to use Java, then use something like mIRC!  Our server is irc.synirc.org and our channel is #pkmn.net.  If you are not IRC-inclined, then follow these directions after configuring your name and stuff:

Code: [Select]
/server irc.synirc.orgAnd once you're connected,
/join #pkmn.net
From there, most people should be able to help you with anything regarding the IRC.  We don't bite!

General Help

Link:  http://pkmn.net/forums/index.php?action=help

So the forums run on SMF if you can't already tell...  the above should be able to help you with forum specifics if you need any help!

Hotlinks and Images

This is asked quite often, and I'll provide the answer here!

Posting an image is really not that tough; the image must be uploaded to the internet however, in one way or another.  If it's on your computer, then upload it to a place like Photobucket or Tinypic.  If it's already uploaded, great!

Once uploaded, take its URL (Right Click -> Properties -> it's right next to location; copy it) and put it between the following tags

[img][/img]
So, for example if I wished to post this Ike avatar I have on my computer, I post it like this;

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Lance_Firestarter/Ike100.png[/img]
So it ends up being;

Hotlinking is equally simple.  Just use the following "formula;"

[url=(insert URL here, ie the website on the address bar)]The text you wish to have[/url]
So if I wanted to link to the rules;

[url=http://pkmn.net/rules]Read the rules![/url]
It ends up being like this:  Read the rules!

Now, if you wish to hotlink an image, you put the image between the url brackets.  So it's like this

[url=http://pkmn.net/rules][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Lance_Firestarter/Ike100.png[/img][/url]
Result:

It's that easy!

Post Count

Post count doesn't matter that much; trust me, I'm the #1 poster on this board (Tim doesn't count because he didn't actually make all those posts!)  Every forum but Forum Games increase your post count...  Just make sure each of your posts follows the rules!

You do get new ranks above your Pokeballs for having x number of posts, and those are as follows;
15000 - Fan Rotom
10000 - Fan Fan
5000 - Name Rater Hater
2500 - Sentret Fan
1000 - Joeno Fan
500 - Typhlosion Fan
250 - Mulholland Fan
100 - Rex Fan
50 - Rob Fan
25 - Psythor Fan
1 - Iceduck Fan
0 - Pokémon Fan

So once you hit that many posts, your rank changes to that particular thing!  It's just aesthetics is all, and it's fairly cool I suppose!

That's pretty much all I can think of; enjoy your PKMN.NET career and have fun!  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the PKMN.NET general board board!

Also, if you're new, check out this thread.  Make your own thread obviously for people to welcome you but also participate in some ice breakers as well!  We're a welcoming community with an open mind to a lot of things.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 21:47 by Lord Raven »
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Laprabi

• hehehehehehehe
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to PKMN.NET!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 18:03 »
Nice guide, Muhed.

It's actually taught me a thing or two.
hahahahahahaha

Offline Lion Demon

• Joeno Fan
  • The Fairy Type Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 18:05 »
I Wish that was an automated message  :(
Dark Friend Safari: Mightyena, Crawdwant & Liepard

Offline Laprabi

• hehehehehehehe
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 18:07 »
It could be transferred into the PM you get automatically when you join.

It would tell you all you needed to know, anyway.
hahahahahahaha

SHOEMAN!

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 18:11 »
That would really help, maybe I wouldn't have broken as many rules as I did when I joined...

Offline Deoxys2

• Sentret Fan
  • In Arsène Wenger we trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 20:37 »
That would really help, maybe I wouldn't have broken as many rules as I did when I joined...
Oh well as long as you don't break them now! BTW this guide will sure help people who have just joined. Too bad you hadn't made this when I  joined...It certainly would have helped me about putting images in you signatures.

Offline Bakura

• Amaterasu
  • Joeno Fan
  • Tsukuyomi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 04:24 »
: Well, since we are allowed to post here, you made a small mistake. You give the link to tinypic.org, but the correct one is tinypic.com

Still, it's really helpful
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:28 by BR|世界の皇帝 »

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 19:55 »
Tinypic was already there, but it was .org instead of .com so thanks.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Laluna

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 07:01 »
Hello I'm Laluna I just got here so I wanted to ask some help is there anyone that could help me in here ? ;D ::) :angel: :yeswink:

Offline Deoxys2

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 13:20 »
We can't help you unless you tell us what you need help with. Besides, pretty much all of the basics you need to know are in this topic.

Offline sentry sentret

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 18:32 »
yo mamma,is that bidoof's way of talking in the pokemon mystery dungeon fourth gen series?

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 11:16 »
0 Posts - Pokemon Fan
50 Posts - Iceduck Fan
100 Posts - Rex Fan
250 Posts - Psythor Fan
500 Posts - Typhlosion Fan
1,000 Posts - Joeno Fan
2,500 Posts - Sentret Fan
5,000 Posts - Name Rater Hater
10,000 Posts - Fan Fan

I think this has been updated, as I saw a CS10 fan around. And also, a Rex fan with less than 100 posts.

Offline Freestyler

• !
  • Sentret Fan
  • insert personal text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 10:56 »
Nice guide, though I have seen cs10 around the place, you might want to correct that

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 13:37 »
New posting positions are;

15000 - Fan Rotom
10000 - Fan Fan
5000 - Name Rater Hater
2500 - Sentret Fan
1000 - Joeno Fan
500 - Typhlosion Fan
250 - Mulholland Fan
100 - Rex Fan
50 - Rob Fan
25 - Psythor Fan
10 - Iceduck Fan
0 - Pokémon Fan

I looked at the members sorted by posts. :P

When you have the time, you should update and put that in.

Cheers~
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 21:30 by Mulholland »

Offline Deoxys2

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 13:40 »
Well, that anwsers my topic I made then. Thanks Liam. Doesn't make a difference to me, though.