Author Topic: US Election Results (Late)  (Read 16732 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Laprabi

• hehehehehehehe
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
US Election Results (Late)
« on: December 18, 2016, 19:40 »
Let's revive this board shall we?

President Trump. I know it's a month or so after the election, but I'm interested to see how people feel about this prospect. Where do you fall on the spectrum? And I'm interested in opinions such as "HE'LL START WW3!" and "HE'S GONNA MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN" and everywhere in between these rather polarized viewpoints.

I personally am interested to see how it's all going to go as a nuanced observer. Personally I doubt WW3 will happen, but making America great again is a rather vague statement. What do you think?
hahahahahahaha

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
  • I play my games in French sometimes.
    • View Profile
Re: US Election Results (Late)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 20:40 »
"HE'S GONNA MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN"

Yeah, for himself!

I personally think America is just going to fall apart. He's a sexist, self-obsessed, obnoxious scumbag that I'm not sure anyone really respects. Well, I don't respect him.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 20:57 »
I think it trumps Brexit

Offline The Hooded Trainer

• Mulholland Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 21:05 »
I think its silly to say itll be the end of the world, but I think its even sillier to say itll all blow over and he wont have an impact on anything. Basically I think the world four years from now will either be totally different from the one were in now, or will be on its way to becoming totally different, but it will happen so subtly that well bearly register that its happening at all until its too late.

I also think that whether the world will end up in a better or worse state depends entirely on how foreceful the oppositon are in stopping him from doing the stuff he wants to.

To really sum it up though, I think hes a poopy-head with really silly hair, and the idea of him having the nuclear codes terrifies me.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 21:16 »
the sheer fact a man didn't get the popular vote and yet still ended up in the white house is baffling to me. america needs to sort out its voting system cause the collegiate system looks like garbage

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 21:31 »
the sheer fact a man didn't get the popular vote and yet still ended up in the white house is baffling to me. america needs to sort out its voting system cause the collegiate system looks like garbage

Yeah I really don't understand why it's a thing for presidential races - like you're only electing one person, unlike say UK elections where each region elects an MP, which contributes to party - here it's literally the whole country voting so may as well just be most-votes-wins? I guess it's got historical reasons or something, but from a pure fairness perspective it's kind of dumb.

Re: Trump tho, I feel like he would be a lot less scary if it weren't a republican dominated Congress too - I don't think he'll be as bad as the media makes out tho, he can't act on a lot of his extreme policy (e.g. making Mexico pay for a wall - that's just not going to happen). I think he'll be fantastic for the UK, however, in that he's already mentioned he wants to return the special relationship back to the Reagan(?)/Thatcher era. Plus given his business skills he will probably be good economically. I guess we just have to hope is questionable humanitarian policies are blocked by congress, or at least the more extreme ones.
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 21:51 »
hes probably going to be your average centre right president and stifled by his own congress in trying to do anything cos they're all petty and selfish. and he'll probably be elected for a second term for more of the same (bush got two terms and so did reagan). or maybe he'll go all Nixon in his second term, the possibility and mental illness is there at least. 

every time he actually has to go through with his promises (see his pre-election talk with the mexican head of state re: The Wall where he was all demure and stim-induced post-manic comedown) he ends up not delivering like so many politicians anyway, so he'll end up being completely toothless, possibly. if he actually puts up The Wall and Banning All Muslims etc. he can enjoy watching unemployment spike and GDP go down cos it turns out fat racists are also lazy and dont want to do factory work or agricultural work and want high payin jobs driving monster trucks/bein bald & pathetic IT people instead and will hypocritically sponge off employment rather than do something "beneath them", so to speak. 

I could be wrong tho. if nothing else it paves the way for a landslide to the dems in 2024?????????????????? hopefully they can put forward a more appealing candidate this time

p.s. we also ended up with Thatcher 2.0 in office our side of the atlantic because our previous Leader decided to gamble the fate of our economic future for a laff, so anyone who was excited by "Thatchgen" (my "shipping" term for reagan/thatcher) better line their underwear with a good few layers of kitchen roll

p.p.s and also edit: electoral college vote is tommorow so its Not Official yet but seein how all the republicans fell in line the minute he destroyed them all its hard to be optimistic

Quote from: everyone
Elections Are A Mess

welcome to the joys and wonder of FPTP where Safe Seats and Gerrymandering etc mean entire prefectures votes can mean about 0.4 of another prefectures votes. idk the generalised term for State or Town or County so im going with the weeaboo japanese option i guess

we got a single attempt to get AV in the uk (not as good as AV+ or STV) but that was quashed heavily by a tory-led and funded NO2AV campaign (remember that?) so i guess we can all enjoy the rich n crafty bein in power for another 99999999999 years i guess
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 21:53 by Lord Thistlewick Flanders »
           

Offline Laprabi

• hehehehehehehe
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 22:38 »
To really sum it up though, I think hes a poopy-head with really silly hair, and the idea of him having the nuclear codes terrifies me.

So Trump is going to start a nuclear war? Interesting. Any particular reason you think this?

Hillary won the popular vote against Obama in '08. Guess who has been President for the past 8 years?

The reason the US has the electoral college is so that the most populous areas don't dominate US politics. If the vote was conducted simply by population, it wouldn't be representative of all areas of America and a few highly populous cities would decide the election. Does this sound fair?

Re: Trump tho, I feel like he would be a lot less scary if it weren't a republican dominated Congress too - I don't think he'll be as bad as the media makes out tho, he can't act on a lot of his extreme policy (e.g. making Mexico pay for a wall - that's just not going to happen). I think he'll be fantastic for the UK, however, in that he's already mentioned he wants to return the special relationship back to the Reagan(?)/Thatcher era. Plus given his business skills he will probably be good economically. I guess we just have to hope is questionable humanitarian policies are blocked by congress, or at least the more extreme ones.

He won't be anywhere near as bad as the media have told everyone he will be. Apart from the fact they were bought and paid for by the Clinton campaign, they spent the better part of a year demonizing Trump, throwing any journalistic integrity out the window in the process. There's a reason fewer than 10% of Americans trust MSM these days, and now they're calling any dissenting news 'Fake News'. Their backpedaling is a great source of amusement for me.
hahahahahahaha

Offline The Hooded Trainer

• Mulholland Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 23:30 »
So Drumpf is going to start a nuclear war? Interesting. Any particular reason you think this?

I dont remember saying that. I just think that someone who clearly has no idea how to run a country and who has a lot of issues with people of other countries should not have his hands on those codes. Whether or not hell use them is irrelevant - giving that kind of responsibility to a man like trump shows a great disregard for the safety of the country and the rest of the world.

Also if he does start nuclear war, itll be because of a mean tweet sent to one of americas enemies, probably.

The reason the US has the electoral college is so that the most populous areas don't dominate US politics. If the vote was conducted simply by population, it wouldn't be representative of all areas of America and a few highly populous cities would decide the election. Does this sound fair?

No, thats pretty much how the uk works and its not exactly fair either, given that most of the decisions end up being made by central parts of england with scotland, wales and ireland having pretty much no say in anything whatsoever. I do feel there has to be some kind of middle ground, though. Then again, americas so huge and diverse that i honestly cant think of a fair way of collecting a vote from the whole country at once.

He won't be anywhere near as bad as the media have told everyone he will be. Apart from the fact they were bought and paid for by the Clinton campaign, they spent the better part of a year demonizing Drumpf, throwing any journalistic integrity out the window in the process. There's a reason fewer than 10% of Americans trust MSM these days, and now they're calling any dissenting news 'Fake News'. Their backpedaling is a great source of amusement for me.

Im totally with you on not trusting the media, and its almost entirely their fault that trump was elected in the first place. Well, them, the democratic party (for pushing for hillary despite all her baggage) and the republican party (for pushing for trump, obviously, although tbf the other candidates werent that much better).

On the other hand, i dont think its a good idea to underestimate how much power hell have. Like i said in my previous post, theres not going to be anything world-ending, but i do think there will be lots of small things we probably wont even notice happening. Just looking at the people hes putting into positions of power, and all the awful things they represent, gives me chills. Seriously, weve got people who believe in gay conversation therapy, people who are all for stop-and-frisk, people who dont believe in global warming, etc. At the very least, its not a great look for america.

Whatever, well see what happens over the next 4-8 years. I mean, i hope youre right and this all blows over without anything changing, but after this nightmare of a year im just not sure i have that kind of confidence or faith anymore.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 23:51 by The Hooded Trainer »

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 00:41 »

Honestly, yes it does sound fair. Why should someone have their vote count for less because they live in a more populous area? (I.e. If EC votes aren't directly proportional to.population, then denser states will have more people per vote, therefore a person has less say) Surely it is fairest to do what the majority of people want in such an election than what the largest amount of area wants? Why should the president represent more areas if those areas have less people than the ones (s)he does not represent?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 00:45 by SapphireRobin|Omeganium »
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 19:13 »
I pretty much accepted it was fate that Trump won. I don't see the point of protesting or even having a recount. I don't like the fact he's now President but I'm not going to fight it or deny the fact he won. My main issue is his lack of a political background and wonder if he thinks this is some sort of game where he can control us? He's not stupid enough to mess with civil rights laws because then there would be revolts and riots which is something he wouldn't want. And I consider his talk of keeping illegal immigrants a joke because a wall won't stop them from getting in. When you are desperate to get something, you become so determined that you won't let anything stand in your way. As for terrorists, banning Middle Easterners from coming over is really stupid. Not all are Muslims and also there are American born terrorists who are white such as the Unibomber or even KKK members. What Trump going to about them? This is what I want to know.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 20:35 »
So Trump is going to start a nuclear war? Interesting. Any particular reason you think this?

There's many sources for this, but in a foreign policy meeting with Paul Ryan, Trump repeatedly asked "why can't we use nukes?" I'm not sure if he'll actually be serious on this, because he has called out Clinton for things that he should rightfully call her out for (which is everything to do with the middle east over the past decade and a half) but the fact is that the worst part of a Trump presidency is a nuke.

Hillary won the popular vote against Obama in '08. Guess who has been President for the past 8 years?
Probably because the DNC in general has a really broken system with the superdelegate crap. The DNC primaries are a formality and I wish they would at least stop pretending that our vote matters, or reform the system entirely.

Having that said, a lot of stuff I'm seeing shows that 4 states didn't count in this and the official popular vote had Obama winning. It was kind of surreal, I just remember wanting Obama to win as a 15-16 year old and my whole family went for Clinton. Was the same with Bernie, though I actually voted for Bernie out of protest more than anything, but voted Clinton in the election.

No, because it actually heavily skews voting. A number of people in California, New York, Maryland, or Texas for instance don't vote at all because they feel that their vote is useless and it's inevitable that their respective states will turn blue or red. Meanwhile, that also means all campaigning goings to key swing states and not historically red states, so instead of California or New York deciding our president, we have to rely on places like Michigan, Florida, Ohio, and Wisconsin. So it ends up being a rule of a bunch of random people in the middle of the country. There is nothing here that suggests that smaller states have a say because those four are medium sized states that determine the president.

It's really a different poison, and the reason why we have a "cities vs rural" difference is a result of the fact that people promise rural areas that their way of life will be preserved when it's not realistic (even though it won Trump the election to do so).

He won't be anywhere near as bad as the media have told everyone he will be. Apart from the fact they were bought and paid for by the Clinton campaign, they spent the better part of a year demonizing Trump, throwing any journalistic integrity out the window in the process. There's a reason fewer than 10% of Americans trust MSM these days, and now they're calling any dissenting news 'Fake News'. Their backpedaling is a great source of amusement for me.

It's not him I'm worried about, it's his Congress and his VP. Trump himself doesn't succumb to any sense of ideology or political viewpoint. He's pretty much a loud talking idiot. His VP and his Congress will be the primary issue in terms of domestic issues, and fyi the Trump camp is not good at taking dissenting opinions either. Let's not pretend that Trump hates all sources of criticism as well, and not just the MSM for being crappy.

He went off on the actors of Hamilton for waiting until the end to tell Mike Pence how they felt about him, and they did it in an extremely tactful manner and Pence himself didn't mind.

Also, his choice of cabinet is very worrying. One of them said he's drafting a Muslim registry. A few are "climate change deniers" (in quotes because I highly doubt they deny it, so much as are against it purely for business interests, given that American businesses have done a hell of a job spreading propaganda inciting what amounts to science denial). Only one guy is hopeful because he believes in clean energy.

Furthermore, this remains to be seen over the next four years, but a lot of white supremacy groups have come out of the woodworks on the eve of his election. There's been news of a KKK march in North Carolina, the UPenn lynching GroupMe, and various white supremacy groups congregating and saying "Heil Trump." Trump's response to all this was a milquetoast "stop it" which was before much of this had happened, as well as willful ignorance to the harassment that minorities have felt as a result of this (I have anecdotes from many of my friends as well but what I just listed were major events). Having that said, the uncertainty of a Trump presidency is the issue more than anything, and there's a lot that can go wrong and very little which can go right.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 22:34 »
Just so you know, the Electoral College voted Trump instead of defecting to Clinton like many people hoped they would. I also heard that EC voters may've defected towards Trump, but I seriously doubt that's true.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 22:48 »
Just so you know, the Electoral College voted Trump instead of defecting to Clinton like many people hoped they would. I also heard that EC voters may've defected towards Trump, but I seriously doubt that's true.

Someone in Maine voted for Trump despite Clinton winning that state, but that's the only person to completely flip sides afaik. Quite a few defections overall, mostly from Clinton to other democrats, likely in protest re: establishment getting elected to be democrat candidate.
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 23:20 »
Someone in Maine voted for Trump despite Clinton winning that state, but that's the only person to completely flip sides afaik. Quite a few defections overall, mostly from Clinton to other democrats, likely in protest re: establishment getting elected to be democrat candidate.
that's because wrongly, democrats believe voting is to make a statement and republicans rightly believe its to gain power.