Poll

Which generation do you dislike the most?

Generation 1(Red/blue/yellow and later Leafgreen/fireRed)
Generation 2(Gold/Silver/Crystal and later HeartGold/SoulSilver)
Generation 3(Ruby/Saphire/Emerald)
Generation 4(Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
Generation 5(Black/white/Black2/White2)
Generation 6(X/Y)

Author Topic: Least favourite Generation  (Read 6323 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Hoof Hearted

• Rob Fan
  • Swampert is nnniccee
    • View Profile
Least favourite Generation
« on: January 19, 2014, 23:08 »
Aww jeez, Maybe it isn't a good idea for me to say this, but I'm going to anyway, but first, I'd like to say this is my opinion, but I'd be glad to hear yours as well. Now, I'm also going to say that although the original R/B/Y were buggy pieces of garbage, they were the very first generation, and the generation redeemed itself in its GBA remake, even if gen 1 had several questionable designs. So, if I'm not going to be choosing Gen 1, which generation will it be? Lets see, Gen 2: added genders, added steel and dark type, several cool pokemon and the ability to go to both johto and kanto. Gen 3: Many awesome new pokemon, added abilities, added weather. Gen 4: cool evolutions for old pokemon boosting their usefulness, several vital battle items, added special/physical moves for each type. Gen 6: Added fairy type, added mega evolutions. And I thi... OH, wait, Gen 5. Now, let me get this straight, I don't hate generation 5, I simply dislike it compared to the other generations. Now, although I wasn't a fan of a lot of the pokemon it added, my biggest concern with gen 5 was its lack of adding anything big to the game. It just felt like I was playing generation 4 again but with more pokemon and a much easier elite four. Sure, it added new abilities, but every generation adds new abilities and its not like this is a brand new idea. Sure, they added triple battles. Too bad there were only two times it actually happened in black and white, nor are they used very often in competitive battling. There wasn't even any triple battles in gen 6 due to the lag it would create on the 3D engine. The dreamworld abilities it added completely changed the usefulness of many pokemon(torchic, first uber starter) I'll admit, but compared to what the other games added, this is small. The abundance of several questionable designs overshadowed the good ones and partly ruined the experience for me. So yes, my least favourite generation is gen 5. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. Please, I would very much like to hear what you guys think about this. Oh, and sorry to anyone who does like generation 5, this is just my opinion.

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • WARNING: DORK
    • View Profile
Re: Least favourite Generation
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 23:13 »
Ugh, its the first two for me.

Generation 1
• Bad Pokemon designs
• Pathetic graphics
• Hardly any features
• BUGS BUGS BUGS EVERYWHERE

Generation 2
• Hated the starters
• Hated the Pokemon
• A few more features, but still missing a LOT
• BUGS

Needs more Gengar

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 00:06 »
It's gen 2 for me.

Although the grass and fire starters were cute and fun to use (try chikorita, I dare you!), it just couldn't stay on par with the rest of them for me.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 06:35 »
Gen 2 for me. Generation 2's Pokemon were boring and awful in battle for the most part. GSC's Johto felt boring for the most part, with exception to Goldenrod and Ecruteak, and Kanto was destroyed when they could have just made a better, more expansive and interesting Johto.

Overall, generation 2 seemed to suffer from what I can only conceive as an attempt to lower the overall power of Pokemon. While gen 1 had a really offense oriented metagame, gen 2 brought in bulky Pokemon like Umbreon, Skarmory, Blissey, Suicune, and Raikou, which took over the metagame. Know what's not fun? Battles that last over 200 turns where neither opponent has lost a Pokemon or done much of anything at all.

I guess this is all just personal opinions though, since most people seem to praise gen 2 as if it was the best point in the franchise, which I find laughable. It took place at the best time in the franchise, because Pokemon had hit it's peak popularity around that time, but that had little to do with gen 2, as generation 1 had taken the world by storm. So when the franchise had hit it's peak popularity, G/S happened to come out next and because everyone's friends were into it, good times were had. Nostalgia tends to blind people to this, and that's okay because having a good time with friends always makes times better, but if you look at GSC objectively... they're really not that good.

And sure, you and a friend can just battle with whatever you've raised in-game and it can be fun and strategic, but if either of you has any ambition to get better, a little research is all that person will need to begin using defensive Pokemon like Forretress, Skarmory, Blissey, Umbreon, Misdreavus and Suicune, and if you hope to compete, you have to use them too because nothing viable in GSC has high enough damage output to break the best walls the metagame has to offer.

Okay, rant over. I'm sorry/congratulations for reading all of that, but there's my thoughts on the worst generation. If only they'd remake R/S/E in glorious 3D...
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:44 »
Gen IV

The region was the most boring in existence, it brought about Chimchar, it has MOUNTAINS >_<

(Also not impressed with all the gen II hate! I'll have to go and get Chloe to sort you out xD)
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline JSM

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 10:25 »
Generation 2 for me as well. I just feel like I haven't connected with the region very well. I think Johto feels a bit empty idk just something about it I don't like too much.
I think my order would be something like:
3>4>6>1>5>2

Wolstenholme

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 15:00 »
(Also not impressed with all the gen II hate! I'll have to go and get Chloe to sort you out xD)

The wild Chloe used Outrage!
It's super effective!

obviously, to counter anyone's hate of gen 2 would be off topic and counter productive in terms of making friends and having fun. Just let it be said that I worship Gen II, I don't find any of it's Pokemon, Cities or characters etc. boring.

The worst for me is Gen IV,  I still don't know my way around the region and I think they were uninventive with the new starters/gym leaders/evolutions. Most of my least favourite pokemon come from Sinnoh e.g. Lucario, Garchomp, Toxicroak. I never really felt that I connected with it.

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 15:48 »
gen 5 for me. i know its been said too many times but garbodor is an abomination. gym leaders werent very memorable,  not really a fan of the starters (serperior is cool but it really isnt great). team plasma wasnt as cool as the others (just bring rocket back for gods sake!)

scrafty was cool tho i wont hate on him

Offline Hoof Hearted

• Rob Fan
  • Swampert is nnniccee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 20:56 »
Okay, rant over. I'm sorry/congratulations for reading all of that, but there's my thoughts on the worst generation. If only they'd remake R/S/E in glorious 3D...
Now, as much as I would like a R/S/E remake, I honestly doubt that it will happen. First, in my opinion, the reason they made a gen 1 & 2 remakes were for two reasons: 1. To bring back old fans who felt nostalgia as well as the fact that they were the best selling pokemon games at the time. 2. To allow johto and kanto pokemon to be more easier to access as pokemon from Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal could not be transferred to Generation 3. Not to mention the fact that-although it surprises me-R/S/E were the lowest grossing pokemon games. Because of this, as much as it saddens me to say, I really doubt nintendo will make a remake of their lowest grossing main series pokemon generation.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 01:38 »
^Objection!

They may have another go, fans may raise enough of a stink for Game Freak to actually do it. If they do, I'm getting it first chance I get.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Hoof Hearted

• Rob Fan
  • Swampert is nnniccee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 23:59 »
^Objection!

They may have another go, fans may raise enough of a stink for Game Freak to actually do it. If they do, I'm getting it first chance I get.
I'm quite happy to say that you proved me wrong. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire!!!! Im getting Alpha Sapphire as soon as it releases!

Offline Mew King

• Some Sort of Grad Student of Sorts
  • Mulholland Fan
  • Now even Manaphy wants to kill you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 12:18 »
I just disliked Gen III.  I know I might get a lot of flak for saying that especially with OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire coming out but listen here...

I didn't dislike Gen III because of the actual story or the Pokemon in it.  I hated it for other reasons

I disliked Ruby and Sapphire because of how it seemed to have made all the work we did in Gen II essentially worthless.  I understood that there's no way they could have physically worked out.  The GB couldn't interact with the GBA and the Pokemon structures changed completely.  But it still felt bad...especially to a 13 year old me that had all 251 Pokemon...someone who convinced my parents to drive 40+ miles to get to a Six Flags where Celebi was being given out and who (and 15 miles to get to the mall where they gave out Mew, but Celebi is more impressive because none of us really cared for Six Flags and we had to pay hella lot of money for that).

Then when I got used to Ruby and Sapphire, FireRed and LeafGreen came out.  Both games felt like several steps back from Ruby and Sapphire.  For one, the bike LITERALLY moved only as fast as the running shoes.  And the R and L buttons did something downright stupid.  I couldn't get the happiness evolutions until after beating the game.  The whole game felt ridiculously slow.

Also, the time systems for all 5 games were (especially FireRed and LeafGreen's lack of it).  I couldn't really get my favorite Eevee-evolutions.

Of course, on the other hand, Gen III had THE best side-games (aside from the Pokemon Rumble games) period.  I loved Colosseum and XD.

If they only make improvements like they did in HeartGold and SoulSilver and not deprovements like they did in FireRed and LeafGreen, then I'm certain I will love the remakes.

Ledyba edit: Please don't swear, even 'censored' swears is something we'd like to avoid.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 15:16 by Ledyba »
Gary was here.  Ash is a loser.

Offline IceRain

• Sentret Fan
  • Doomed to like awful Pokémon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 19:15 »
I have been saying Gen III was my least favorite for the longest time but honestly it's probably Gen I. A lot of the Pokémon bored me and Kanto is eh. You can hate me for it but idc so :P

Offline kindtocrows

• tired wizard
  • Mulholland Fan
  • ask your local askljdlaskjd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 20:03 »
It's kind of funny reading this thread now, with OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire being announced.

For me, it's either Gen I or Gen IV. Though, I've got a good amount of nostalgia for Gen IV, so it's probably Gen I. The original games were really buggy, and when I first played Yellow, it took me forever to get past the first gym (though that was mostly my fault...), and when I played the remakes I found them really boring compared to R/S/E.

As for Gen IV, I'm honestly a little mixed... I mean, there are a lot of things I liked, but the things I didn't were just... ughhh. Most of Gen IV's pokemon were pretty boring, I didn't like any of the starters (sorry people who like piplup), the fact that there were only two fire types in D/P forced me to usually pick Chimchar, so I never really used the others, and Mount Coronet. The games just didn't feel complete to me. Though Platinum fixed a few of those issues, adding more fire types, making the game feel more complete and polished, but I still didn't like many of the Gen IV pokemon, I still didn't like the starters, and Mount Coronet still existed. On the other hand, DPPt had a pretty decent plot (for the time), and though Team Galactic was full of idiots, Cyrus was pretty threatening, which I liked, the boss battles were usually pretty fun, I loved the music, and Gen IV introduced a lot of new legendaries, all of which I loved.

And my rant on why I love and hate Gen IV is done. Sorry for that.
When it comes down to it, the difference between healing and necromancy is timing.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 20:36 »
Well, I am one of the few who liked Generation Four the most, for the same reasons you did.

But the one I dislike the most is, quite probably, Generation One.

As a kid, it was quite tedious to walk without the bike, and getting the bike was not so easy if one did not check all houses. There were few indications how to advance, although that was not completely necessary once one reached Lavander Town's famous Earth-Type Ghost (freedom to choose gym battle, or even before as some have said). Heck, you even had to BUY a soda for the keepers as a BRIBE! TEAM ROCKET HOSTAGES ARE AS CHEAP AS BLOODY HELL! SOME ROCKS LOOKED LIKE FAT MEN!

Look at the entrance! These two rocks look like a fat(ter) Mario holding a pint of beer; a fat, bald, white guy from GSC, or even a tiny Snorlax!

As an adult, I could understand what was going on (it was not Takeshi's Challenge, after all), but leveling Pokémon up is a PAIN. Heck, one can just have a team made out of six Pokémon because training any other wild Pokémon (bar legendaries, even lvl 7 Mew) was plain impossible due to the fact that capturing one required you not to have a full box in use, do not miss with the Pokéball, not being hit by Wrap AND having enough good moves to teach them... if they could learn any. Only Mimic and Hyper Beam were and are real options! And Hyper Beam has the problem of needing a turn for recharging purposes if one happened not to KO the rival with the move! And to have good moves one has to transfer them to GSC, and that means not messing with the Time Capsule!
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.