Author Topic: Safety Goggles..?  (Read 1739 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MonsterMon64

Safety Goggles..?
« on: August 02, 2014, 22:19 »
So, off a whim I got some Safety Goggles for some in-game shenanigans, but while it has a pretty cool effect (It's pretty much Overcoat: The Item) I kind of realised: in terms of competitive, it's really only good for nullifying Spore, unless you or your opponent run a Sandstorm or Hail team (and I gathered since weather is no longer permanent via Sand Stream, Snow Warning, etc. most people don't bother) and while not being affected by Rage Powder in doubles is nice, there's probably something else that can make good use of Follow Me, making Safety Goggles ultimately pointless.

Maybe I'm wrong, though? Maybe there's some 'mon I'm overlooking who has all the moves, but Safety Goggles is what might give it the edge it needs? Honestly, I can't think of anything that doesn't already have better items/access to Overcoat, myself. Did I just waste 48BP, or is there hope yet for this impulse purchase?

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Re: Safety Goggles..?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 22:23 »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:44 »
Safety Goggles is pretty fantastic in VGC because blocks both Spore and Rage Powder (and there are basically no legal Follow Me users); it's pretty much an anti-Amoonguss item, and Amoonguss is very common. Plus there's a lot of Sleep Powder kicking around on Venusaur sets.

But overall it's just so chic and stylish!

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 02:18 »
Safety Goggles is pretty fantastic in VGC because blocks both Spore and Rage Powder (and there are basically no legal Follow Me users); it's pretty much an anti-Amoonguss item, and Amoonguss is very common. Plus there's a lot of Sleep Powder kicking around on Venusaur sets.

But overall it's just so chic and stylish!

Don't Togekiss and Smeargle both get spore?

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 04:42 »
Togekiss doesn't get Spore, that's for sure. Smeargle isn't too common in VGC, from what I know.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline JSM

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 09:15 »
Smeargle isn't too common in VGC, from what I know.
Even if you do see smeargle it runs dark void and not spore, so Safety Goggles would be no use there.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 12:29 »
Don't Togekiss and Smeargle both get spore?
Togekiss gets Follow Me, if that's what you meant. I remember having a Double Battle in Random Matchup and found that out the hard way. (I think I lost that match too, whoops)

I'm uncertain what makes this unpermitted in VGC, though. Do Friend Safari Pokemon not count as caught in Kalos or something? Seems like the only way to get a Togepi short of Pokemon Bank, but then you could just breed for another, right?

As for Smeargle, yeah, it'd rather have Dark Void. Gosh I hate Dark Void, though.

Triple battle with Shedinja.

That's a pretty evil strategy to pull off, although all it'd have taken was the opponent to use a Prankster-fueled Toxic or Will-o-Wisp to do away with Shedinja. (That said, the opponent didn't seem super tough or unusual with his choice of Pokemon to begin with) Not to mention False Swipe + Final Gambit is just showing off (and gimmicky, besides) I half expected it to use Shadow Sneak at least once.

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 14:30 »
I'm uncertain what makes this unpermitted in VGC, though. Do Friend Safari Pokemon not count as caught in Kalos or something? Seems like the only way to get a Togepi short of Pokemon Bank, but then you could just breed for another, right?

VGC mons currently have to be in the Kalos dex, which some Friend Safari mons aren't (as well as Kalos-native, ie born or caught in Kalos). Togekiss isn't part of the Kalos dex.

Togekiss doesn't get Spore, that's for sure. Smeargle isn't too common in VGC, from what I know.

Yeah Smeargle went through a phase early this year of being super-popular as a lead alongside Kanga, but it's died in popularity again since.

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease