Author Topic: Getting Dungeon Keeper 2 to work on a Mac  (Read 997 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
  • I play my games in French sometimes.
    • View Profile
Getting Dungeon Keeper 2 to work on a Mac
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:07 »
I've just got back from my hostel today.

While there, I had a chat with one of the support workers whom I get along with very well and I thought about bringing my laptop with me next time so we can play Dungeon Keeper 2 together.

I have no problem getting Dungeon Keeper 2 working on my Windows 7 laptop but my support worker has a Mac laptop, I'm not sure how to help him get Dungeon Keeper 2 working on it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Dungeon Keeper 2 to work on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 12:45 »
Make him see the light so he can buy a Windows Laptop.

(Reserved for non-joke responses, although Win 7/8 is strongly recommended).

Virtual Box can work if you are very desperate.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 13:21 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 15:46 »
Other than installing Boot Cap or Parallels. No.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
  • I play my games in French sometimes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 16:24 »
Make him see the light so he can buy a Windows Laptop.

My support worker probably can't afford a decent Windows gaming laptop. As good as he is at his job, I don't think he is paid all that much.

Other than installing Boot Cap or Parallels. No.

Preferably, I'd like to find a way to do it for free. I checked on a website and it said that parallels costs over £60 which I think is insane!

On my Windows 7 laptop, I have to set up a variety of things for it to work:

Adding -32biteverything -disablegamma and -softwarefilter to the target line in the properties menu.
Enabling Compatibility mode with Windows 2000.
Enabling all the options in the settings section of the compatibility tab except for Run in 256 colors.
There are also a few settings in-game which have to be set though I can't remember the details.

Do I need to do all this on a mac to set it up properly or is there some other way of doing it?

Offline The Macintosh Ninja: SOH CAH TOA

• PUK's original ninja. So zetta slow!!
  • Sentret Fan
  • Look, I finally changed my avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 05:47 »
There are other ways of doing it. My suggestion is using what's called a "Wrapper". It essentially emulates the Windows stuff so that the applications can run on a Mac. Here's a link to some guy's documentation on how he got it running. He's got a link to a YouTube video on using a Wrapper. The short version is that you download the Wrapper, download the game (or get a hold of the files: they should be the same regardless of operating system), and put them in the Wrapper by opening its "Package Contents" (Right-click or Ctrl-click and choose "Show Package Contents"). Mind you the download links are, as far as I know, links to materials you can use to get the game running. They aren't links to download the actual game.

As for other "Get a Windows game to run on Mac" needs, The Porting Team has a large archive of Wrappers. I've used a handful myself to get my 2010 MacBook Pro to run Fallout: New Vegas, Burnout Paradise, Orcs Must Die, and a few other random applications. How they run depends on the game (New Vegas had some hiccups, Burnout was nearly flawless).