Author Topic: Pokemon Online  (Read 13989 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline K.I.O.S

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Online
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 17:30 »
Might be best if its left to discuss, here that way we can speak on other matters about the game as well.
Follow our Wayward Journey here!

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 17:34 »
To be perfectly honest I believe that setting up a site server would be more trouble than it's worth. o.o

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02 »
I'd leave it to be discussed here.

Liam, there are quite a few good guides on server making out there, we just need to find someone who would willingly make the server.

K.I.O.S, I think that the gym leader idea is a really good one. There used to be a league thing in the battling section of the Trade forum, but that died out...ages ago (Can I reserve the Dark Gym Leader please?). How many of you would actually be willing to take part? How would we attract other forumites from elsewhere onto our server, away from the Smogon and PO servers? These need to be considered, for sure.

Anyways, if this goes ahead, I will drag myself out from hiatus and begin battling again.

Offline Legacy

• I know I'm in my own little world but it's ok, they know me here.
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 12:11 »
I'd leave it to be discussed here.

Liam, there are quite a few good guides on server making out there, we just need to find someone who would willingly make the server.

K.I.O.S, I think that the gym leader idea is a really good one. There used to be a league thing in the battling section of the Trade forum, but that died out...ages ago (Can I reserve the Dark Gym Leader please?). How many of you would actually be willing to take part? How would we attract other forumites from elsewhere onto our server, away from the Smogon and PO servers? These need to be considered, for sure.

Anyways, if this goes ahead, I will drag myself out from hiatus and begin battling again.

I'd be very interested in it. Since my usual server died out I've not touched PO. PBC is just too darn busy for me.

I could probably pull in some people from the old server I was on, and they know peole from other servers who know other people etc. etc. Word of mouth (or e-mouth) is fantastic for things like this.
No man is ever truly good.
No man is ever truly evil.
I do the things you never could,
and we won't ever be equal

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 13:00 »
OK. That's good, Solitaire! Now then, we just need to make a server and some other process. Then we should be able to start the League and get stuff going. Who wants to make it?

Anyways, should I start on making a topic for the league in Teambuilding?

Offline K.I.O.S

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 13:17 »
I'm interested in it most definately, but I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to making a server.

Yeah I think you should, but make sure to state that its on Pokémon Online.
Follow our Wayward Journey here!

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 13:20 »
I'm in the same boat as K.I.O.S. I've never set up a server. I've moderated one (for all of about an hour as a temp mod), but never set one up.

Post here when it's set up, since I'd like to apply.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 13:25 »
I was the only good moderator on PokeBattleCenter's server for a good year before they changed staff, as well as having a vast amount of competitive Pokemon knowledge, if you're considering people.

I've been pushing for a PKMN.net server for quite some time now, but it has to be something people are interested in, and not just for a week.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 13:30 »
Maybe set up a poll for users here, and those of us who know others from other servers could start getting lists of names of people who might be interested there?

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 13:56 »
The discussion works here =]

I don't want to come across as a complete killjoy, but unless this pkmn.net server offers something different, there would be no reason for people to come to this server, as opposed to a busier one, where you're more likely to get a battle.

As for a gym league, the idea has been discussed, and it's too much of a nightmare to figure out tiering and rules and people committing; that aside, after 8 gym leaders, how many competitive battlers are left to challenge the league?

I think it would have to be some kind of niché metagame in order for it to be popular; Little Cup, or Weatherless OU or something. Something that would make it stand out from the other super-power servers.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 13:57 »
My main problem would be that I don't believe there is enough interest here for it. A PKMN.net server would just be another server, and why go there when Smogon and PO exist?

I had an idea a while back about a weatherless server a while back, which would be something very different than what is out there. Ban TTar, Abomasnow, Politoed and Ninetales altogether, and build tiers around this new metagame (and it would be an entirely new metagame without them). Might be food for thought if anyone is actually going to make this server, and expect it to have any sort of life expactancy past 2 weeks.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 14:03 »
Weatherless OU was something that I was thinking as well, since I don't think anywhere else has it (unless it has DW as well that is). Also with the league, we could potentially start with a 4-Gym Pokemon League (think Orange Islands style) once things have settled and we know where the server is headed.

Tiering for now could follow Smogon or something (maybe) until we start discussing maybe using our own tiering. Rules would be simple enough I'd have thought.

90% of servers start out small but build up over time. It's all well and good having a server that's busy, but PKMN has a community spirit which, I feel, would only be amplified in the server. I personally would rather go into a server where I can talk to others and relax while battling, rather than go to say, PBC or Smogon or PO, where you recieve challenges non-stop and be cut off from conversation cos there's already loads of conversing going on. But that's just my thoughts.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 14:38 »
OK, let me see what I can do with making a server then. I'll also start a topic on the server when I've finished it off (if I can). And Weatherless OU sounds a good idea for it.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 14:44 »
Hooray, a server with a weatherless OU tier that three people will use! :)

No offence intended, but this server idea won't work. I know I'm being a negative nancy, but our competitive battling community is far too small to bother about a server when weatherless matches can just be organised in five minutes with your friends on the Smogon Server etc. without having to wait x time in order for a pkmn.net server to pop up.

Every time this idea happens it dies. Until the competitive battling scene on this site increases this idea is one that just doesn't add up!

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 14:45 »
Yeah, I don't know anything about what I am doing, as I have no knowledge of server making or w/e. It also won't work on my computer.