Author Topic: My thoughts on the Pokemon of Sun/Moon  (Read 5751 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline The name master

• The name rater's rival!
  • Joeno Fan
  • I rate your nicknames (unofficially)
    • View Profile
My thoughts on the Pokemon of Sun/Moon
« on: January 06, 2017, 10:17 »
They've made a Pokemon that looks like Fart Face himself!

Spoiler: show

I swear this Pokemon:

Is just another version of this:

I'd go with this starter:

I like it and I don't know why!

Did they.... just.... make a sandcastle Pokemon? Are they actually running out of ideas?

Seriously, though!

What kind of Pokemon calls itself "Type: Null?"

A type is a particular thing that a pokemon specializes in, NOT their actual name!
Thanks to Inferna for one of the many reasons why I love Dragonite!

Offline Scrungo

• Iceduck Fan
  • Call me "Tad" "Zane" or "Scrungus"
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on the Pokemon of Sun/Moon
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:28 »
have you played sun/moon yet? when you do you'll find out more about type: null. I dont wanna spoil anything but when you do play it, it'll make more sense, trust me.
heyo my doods, if you wanna talk, im usually free. if im not here just email me, or if you wanna find me somewhere, im usually called "Scrungo" on most places.
please tell me if you use Wiimmfi to play wii/ds games online and wanna play with me, if you dont know what it is, i implore you to look it up.

Offline The name master

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:49 »
Well, first, I have to get the money to buy a 3DS, and then I have to get the money to buy the game. And with the amount of money I get (£0.00) that should take roughly FOREVER! :(

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 12:41 »
Can't believe you dissed Popplio & Sandyghast 😯 IMHO, Popplio is made original by its typing and even though it's a seal it looks way different to all the other Pokemon.

But honestly Samdyghast is one of the best Pokemon from this gen? If all other natural things in the Pokemon world are sentient when WHY NOT the sand??? It's ghost typing validates it & the shaping of a castle is like... a disguise but also like a shape that it can do things with? Literally would you rather it was just a pile of sand with a pure ground typing and nothing special or interesting about it seriously smh
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE

Offline The name master

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 13:03 »
I'm not a genwunner, but, we used to get dragons, dinosaurs and electric birds

Now we're getting sandcastles, gears and lamps

But honestly Samdyghast is one of the best Pokemon from this gen? If all other natural things in the Pokemon world are sentient when WHY NOT the sand??? It's ghost typing validates it & the shaping of a castle is like... a disguise but also like a shape that it can do things with? Literally would you rather it was just a pile of sand with a pure ground typing and nothing special or interesting about it seriously smh
But is sand (in a wierd shape or not) original? Do you think that that is thinking outside the box? To use natural objects?

Offline The Hooded Trainer

• Mulholland Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 13:09 »
Tbf, voltorb was a ball, ditto was some goop and mr mime was literally just a dude. Pokemon designs have been stupid from the start. The only recent pokemon i have problems with are the vanilluxe line. Like, why would a pokemon just happen to look like an icecream cone? Sandyghast makes sense, cause its  a disguise, chandelure is a ghost so its reasonable to assume that its possessing the chandelier, and gears are such simple objects that its fair some pokemon would happen to look a bit like them.

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 13:50 »
But is sand (in a wierd shape or not) original? Do you think that that is thinking outside the box? To use natural objects?

Pokemon designs don't have to be outside the box to be good? Sand is a naturally occurring geological phenomenon anywhere there is rocks and water and enough time so it kind of makes sense that some Pokemon somewhere will look like it. The Pokemon designers have always used natural objects and animals in their designs - Oddish is literally a weird dude with leaves on his head, Magikarp just looks like a fish. Pokemon don't need to all be dragons an dinosaurs, and for the record, as much as I love Dragonite he looks like he's made of rubber and is a totally weird design.

All I'm saying is that Pokemon these days are designed and created no differently to how they used to be & if you don't like the new Pokemon and are making arguments like "this one is a lamp not a dinosaur, I don't like it" then you probably ARE a genwunner.
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE

Offline Scrungo

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 14:03 »
I'm not a genwunner, but, we used to get dragons, dinosaurs and electric birds

Now we're getting sandcastles, gears and lamps

but also, in gen 1 we got a rock with buff arms, and seriously a pile of goo, some pokemon designs have always sucked, they arent getting worse as time goes on
heyo my doods, if you wanna talk, im usually free. if im not here just email me, or if you wanna find me somewhere, im usually called "Scrungo" on most places.
please tell me if you use Wiimmfi to play wii/ds games online and wanna play with me, if you dont know what it is, i implore you to look it up.

Offline The name master

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 14:17 »
as much as I love Dragonite he looks like he's made of rubber and is a totally weird design.

WHAT U SAY?!?!

but also, in gen 1 we got a rock with buff arms, and seriously a pile of goo, some pokemon designs have always sucked, they arent getting worse as time goes on
OK. So generation 1 wasn't completely, completely original! Ditto is understandable, though! Does it really need a well defined body when it can just transform into another pokemon?

Voltorb is a pokeball. At least it's not a natural thing! But it's evolution animation in Fire Red/Leaf Green, BORING!!!

I could probably come up with some better ideas for pokemon, and some of the stuff I've created is lame, uncreative and probably unoriginal (a robot Nidorina for starters!)

Maybe I should make a thread for that!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 20:19 »
yeah in SuMo we get Chimeras, Lions, Fire Lizards, and aliens.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 21:36 »
I wasn't too big on this gen's design, but I wouldn't say it's bad. Comfey was clearly a reference to the ubiquity of lei's (sp?) in Hawaiian culture (or at least media portrayals of it, never been so can't comment irl), and I think that sort of reference gives character to the region. I also think this gen stepped away from overdesign (apart from UBs I guess), stuff like Oricorio, Toucannon, Bewear & Mudsdale are all pretty simple, elegant designs.
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 01:27 »
gen one also gave us beauties such as one mole with large red nose, which evolved into three moles with large red noses. a pink blob. purple snake and purple cobra. blonde cat. two different pink kirby things. ostrich with two heads that evolves into ostrich with three heads. magnet ball that becomes 3 magnet balls. red and white ball that turns upside down. crab. larger crab. eggs.

i really like this gens cause they still felt different and similar to what we have (fun fact, animals that look similar but aren't the same (like luvdisc and alomomola) have evolved to occupy the same or similar niches in different environments!! pokemon reflects nature wow)

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 14:46 »
I love Dragonite he looks like he's made of rubber and is a totally weird design.

You mean the noodle dragon, right?

if you don't like the new Pokemon and are making arguments like "this one is a lamp not a dinosaur, I don't like it" then you probably ARE a genwunner.

That seems about right in my opinion. Yet I don't know how genwunners can argue that designs now are bad yet you have a pair of floating magnets with a screw antenna evolving into a bigger bile of magnets that's just 3 of them hooked together.

I thought the island challenge thing was weird at first but it was really fun once I got into it.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Scrungo

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 15:38 »
lets not forget the best gen 1 design, a yellow mouse with red cheeks. its like a gun skin in CS:GO, its dumb. tbh, gen 1 had probably some of the worst designs, but people just use cheap excuses like trubbish to make it seems like gen 1 didnt have the worst ones.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 16:56 »
lets not forget the best gen 1 design, a yellow mouse with red cheeks. its like a gun skin in CS:GO, its dumb. tbh, gen 1 had probably some of the worst designs, but people just use cheap excuses like trubbish to make it seems like gen 1 didnt have the worst ones.

I think people like gen 1 because it had the most simplistic designs. Not knocking any of these, but to see what I mean compare Golem to Gigalith, Golbat to Swoobat, Machamp to Conkeldurr, Gengar to Chandelure (I chose gen I v V because V is the one that most obviously tried to draw parallels to gen I) - in each case you notice the Kanto one is more simplistic, generally being one main colour, perhaps with an accent colour, and just clean I guess? The Unova designs are a lot busier, generally with 2-3 colours, and in the case of Conkeldurr adding extra non-pokemon bits to it. Neither style is better than the other, at least not objectively, it comes purely down to preference. I mean, even comparing Garbodor and Muk, Garbodor is kind of overdesigned and Muk is probably underdesigned.
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝