Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: Member Council  (Read 7212 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Typhlosion

ANNOUNCEMENT: Member Council
« on: August 13, 2009, 23:32 »
Details still to be finalised, but we feel this is the best way to address the concerns we've heard tonight.

We've concluded that we'd like to introduce a Member Council - a group of members, voted for and elected by yourselves with no staff input, who can listen to ANY issues that you all have and present them DIRECTLY to us in a real time conversation, where you have our full and undivided attention. We're busy people - I'm coming into my dissertation year now - but I'm sure we could all find a time that would suit us. I repeat, issues to be determined, but we're thinking of making it a monthly thing. The chat logs will of course be free for you to view afterwards.

So why do this when you can just post a topic? Well, you still can, but we feel that not only would it be a way to listen to a LOT of opinions all at once which are collected over time, but in addition, it's more personal than just posting a topic and waiting for a reply - you'll be dealing with the admins (and possibly mods) personally.

Again, we're yet to finalise the details, so again we'd like your suggestions/input here, but we're pretty much settled that if you all agree, it's a step in the right direction. We can't promise to do everything you ask for, of course, but we can promise we'll listen and take everything seriously, which perhaps isn't a feeling we successfully put across in the forums. Additionally, we would need to trust people to be mature about this. We're not prepared to have people use it as an excuse to just slag us off - we're after suggestions for improvement, rather than just a list of criticisms.

Also note we've never done this before: some things will work, others won't. Might be a case of trial and error for a while until we find a format that works for everyone.

PKMN.NET Senior Staff
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 23:34 by Typhlosion »

Webby2

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Member Council
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 23:35 »
I think this might be what the forums need in this situation, to bring the forums forward and to get past the bad stuff that's developed. As long as everyone gets an equal say in this, which will go up to the senior staff, then I'm all for the idea.

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 23:38 »
From my initial reaction, it seems as though this will either go in two directions. This has got to be a totally TRANSPARENT council.

If any part of the conversations in the council are kept hidden, then what has occured this evening will repeat itself over and over again.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 23:38 »
I wouldn't mind a test drive.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Typhlosion

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 23:39 »
From my initial reaction, it seems as though this will either go in two directions. This has got to be a totally TRANSPARENT council.

We won't have any input in who is in the council, that'll be up to you completely, so that shouldn't be an issue.

And with a number of council members (as many of possible) present in the meetings, I think one or two might notice if we start chopping the chat logs around.

blazibaby

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 23:41 »
I think this is a pretty darn good idea.

If it's someone's JOB to bring things to the attention of the admins and mods...it could bring some light on many bottled up situations like today's and have them sorted quietly and with no need for yelling and falling out.

Kudos to this plan and heres hoping it works. =>

Offline Enigma

• Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 23:43 »
Yeah, but that's what I'm asking - that the chat logs are to be made available to the whole site.

The whole reason this has got so out of hand is because of the sense of secrecy and 'behind the scenes.' No-one knows what goes on. Just like the April Fool's topic, suddenly, it was said to me DIRECTLY by Jeroen himself - "Those participating have decided to stop the argument" - or words to that effect.

I happened to be bloody participating and I'd signed no such silencing contract.

If this is to work, or to even get off the ground at all, all chat logs MUST be made available to the whole site.

Furthermore, isn't this what the whole point of the PKMN.NET board is for? For the members to bring issues up with the admins and actually GET a reply (unlike in Jessie's topic?)

Offline Apprentice

• Grand Wizard
  • Sentret Fan
  • Remember to like, comment, subscribe,
    • View Profile
    • Vinesauce
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 23:45 »
...I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you clarify what you mean by "real time discussion"?
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ s q u a d ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Typhlosion

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 23:46 »
Yeah, but that's what I'm asking - that the chat logs are to be made available to the whole site.

Well we were planning to release them just to those who post regularly in Role Play...

Furthermore, isn't this what the whole point of the PKMN.NET board is for? For the members to bring issues up with the admins and actually GET a reply (unlike in Jessie's topic?)

I already addressed that, and Jessie's topic has had replies from two active admins, with the third having read it in detail.

...I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you clarify what you mean by "real time discussion"?

It'll be done over MSN or IRC, rather than the forums. A more personal touch.

Offline Mulholland

• Senior Staff Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • Poyo?
    • View Profile
    • Before I Kick
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 23:48 »
Sounds like an interesting idea in theory. Should work well provided that people show up for the meetings, and others don't get sore for not being on the council itself.

Apart from those two points that could generate aggro I think it's a good idea.

Dane Bramage

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 23:49 »
This could end up being very successful and definitely is a great idea - The best response to complaints of the staff running everything would be to give power to the people. The best response to complaints that things are kept secret and hidden from everyday members is to show everyone what's happening.

Smart idea, hope this works.

Offline Enigma

• Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 00:02 »
Brill. Transparency for the win. K, next quezzies -

- How many members would this council have?

- How would they apply?

- For it to be totally admin-independent, how do you intend on hosting the 'elections?' Or will you elect someone to host said elections? :P

(And I know you've just gone to bed, but if I don't post now, I'll forget by tomorrow.)

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 00:05 »
Will the staff be controlling who gets kicked out of the Council?  If so, then it doesn't sound like a good idea -- then that gives staff control over our positions too.  The point is to give a member's full, honest, up-front opinion and ANY staff intervention would go against this idea.  My personal belief is that the council themselves should choose whether or not whoever leaves or gets kicked out.  There will be massive disagreements, sometimes there will be some agreements, but just know that I feel none of that should factor in the council status.

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 00:09 »
As this is a different topic, I feel more free to post now. Basic and brief, we're working on it. I found the draft I had made for this in the past (time issues prevented us from working on it then) which has ideas, but I can't say much for certain yet, especially as it's been a while since I last saw it, and even that was little more than a draft.

For the second, I think I can answer this - that'll likely just be posting in a topic. We don't want to make this too complicated either.

So yeah, I know, not the most useful of replies, but it's coming ;) Tomorrow evening is when we'll have more time.

To address Lord Raven's point: There will be limits placed. One thing we can say that the council will not be the place for personal attacks. It will be about the content of the site, not, say, how you hate the hair colour of those running it. How this will be enforced is undecided, but we will certainly put a limit on that in place and if someone does feel the need to come in just to continue making personal attacks, we will likely need to do something.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 00:11 »
That's a given.  No point if someone's going to be a massive dick about the way they're putting their point across.  A warning slap or two to the people who do that is something I'd advocate.