Author Topic: Wii u worth it now?  (Read 1844 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Wii u worth it now?
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:02 »
I've been itching to play some games on a tv rather than on my 3DS.
I've been considering a Wii u for a while now. There's plenty games I want to play on it: hyrule warriors, smash bros, Mario kart 8, wind waker, xenoblade and virtual console games like shovel knight, earthbound and the gba games. So finding something to play wouldn't be a problem! I've also got all of my last gen Wii games too.

I don't know it feels like if I got a Wii u I'd be missing out but then again I'm not a fan of fps games. I know the ps4 has some titles I'd be interested in like kingdom hearts, the last of us, little big planet and psn store games. I am considering a ps4 instead but I'd feel right now I'd get more value for money with a Wii u rather than a ps4 (and no I'm not considering an Xbox one/pc).

So Wii u owners are you happy with it? I'm just wondering if it can be a primary games console. Obviously I cannot afford to get both, the Wii u is a good £100 cheaper. I'd most likely get a bundle with each.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: Wii u worth it now?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 13:47 »
I'm going to preface this by saying that my opinion is pretty invalid because I exclusively play Nintendo these days, but I'll say my piece anyway.

Wii U is a really good console that is being very under-utilized at the moment. The Gamepad has so many possible uses that haven't been explored yet, and some games just have no idea what to do with the gamepad so they'll just like... stream the game on the gamepad and the TV at the same time (New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World, for example. You really think they'd come up with a better use for their main franchise). Not all games do this, though! Zombi U does a great job at making the gamepad incredibly useful in a unique way that really immerses you into the game in a way you wouldn't expect, and even though I'm garbage at survival horror games, I enjoyed that one more than any other I've ever played.

Anyway, Gamepad rant aside, I've enjoyed the Wii U, but I'll admit that I rarely play it anymore, mostly just because the 3DS is just more fun at the moment. However, with all of the outstanding games coming to the Wii U, I'd say that'll change soon. You might want to wait for a bundle deal with one of these upcoming games if you want to save some money. MK8 is getting some pretty cool DLC soon, so now's as good a time as any if you're interested in that. I've had a lot of fun with the Wii U, it's a great console, and the coming games are just gonna make it better, so if you're interested now you might as well get one so you can play Hyrule Warriors soon!

Also, Nintendo Land is just pure fun, you're probably gonna want to get that, especially if you have some friends or family to play with. :)
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 15:00 »
I only really got the Wii U for MK8, and it is absolutely fantastic, but a few other games that I only got to sorts tide me over to the bigger titles such a as Nintendo Land, Pokémon Rumble U & Super Mario 3D World are all brilliant, Nintendo Land especially surprised me given I was thinking it'd be kinda wii sports level bad xD

For me, the decision goes straight to the Wii U as no PS4 exclusives interest me (excluding Lbp3, but I don't play 2 much), so I can't really help much there, I can only tell you what you probably already know - the Wii U is so much more of an improvement over the Wii than the PS4 is over the PS3, the only place the Wii U is lacking is games and, as you know, that'll soon be fixed.

MK8 is so much fun to play multiplayer, and with 4 new DLC cups coming there'll be 48 tracks!

Out of interest, do you have a PS3? You mentioned you have a Wii, but didn't mention a PS3, and I think not having one makes the decision a lot harder.
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 19:36 »
I would get a PS3 before getting a Wii if you don't have one.  There's a lot of games for the PS3 that are really good and affordable.  I can list a few right now.

Grand Theft Auto IV and V
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Graces f
FF13 (this one is REALLY cheap)
FFX/FFX-2 HD (it's bundled)
inFamous 1 and 2
The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid Collection (this includes Metal Gear 1&2, Metal Gear Solids 1-4, and Peace Walker)
Metal Gear Solid V:  Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Rising:  Revengeance
Nier
Red Dead Redemption
Valkyria Chronicles
The Simpsons Game
Batman/Arkham series
Mass Effect
Shadow of the Colossus/ICO (bundled)
Spec Ops:  The Line
South Park:  The Stick of Truth
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Any sports games
Dragonball Z Budokai 1/3 (bundle)

And these are just games I own.  You can buy PSX/certain PS2 games to further enhance the experience.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 20:03 »
^with Arkham City, you're actually better getting a Wii U as the armoured edition (all DLC) is like £8 and has Wii U enhanced features such as improved hacking and the remote control batarang uses the gamepad for bits. The game just seems to work better with a gamepad.
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 20:55 »
As Rich is, I almost exclusively play Nintendo these days, so what I say may be invalid.

I love the graphics with the Wii U, they're really cool. First game we got was Wind Waker HD, which came with the system since we got the special edition. When they say HD, they mean it.

You can also, thankfully, still play Wii games on it, so I can play Smash Bros. until the new ones are out in October.

Again, the only lacking thing is the game selection, but that's going to be fixed soon. Even the games that are out now are pretty good, Nintendo Land being a huge shock to me. I didn't expect it to be that fun. For a week straight, my brother and I stayed up late playing the Metroid themed game on it, which is my favorite game.

All in all, the Wii is a good single player console, but it's even better with other people. You may have to wait a bit for some of the other games to come out if you get it now, but it's worth it.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 23:49 »
^with Arkham City, you're actually better getting a Wii U as the armoured edition (all DLC) is like £8 and has Wii U enhanced features such as improved hacking and the remote control batarang uses the gamepad for bits. The game just seems to work better with a gamepad.
Oh I don't know UK prices, these are all 20 dollars or less in the US.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 10:44 »
Sorry for taking so long to reply to this lol. I am still def considering one, going to price it now. It does sound like it's a pretty good console.

I would get a PS3 before getting a Wii if you don't have one.  There's a lot of games for the PS3 that are really good and affordable.  I can list a few right now.

Grand Theft Auto IV and V
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Graces f
FF13 (this one is REALLY cheap)
FFX/FFX-2 HD (it's bundled)
inFamous 1 and 2
The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid Collection (this includes Metal Gear 1&2, Metal Gear Solids 1-4, and Peace Walker)
Metal Gear Solid V:  Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Rising:  Revengeance
Nier
Red Dead Redemption
Valkyria Chronicles
The Simpsons Game
Batman/Arkham series
Mass Effect
Shadow of the Colossus/ICO (bundled)
Spec Ops:  The Line
South Park:  The Stick of Truth
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Any sports games
Dragonball Z Budokai 1/3 (bundle)

And these are just games I own.  You can buy PSX/certain PS2 games to further enhance the experience.

I was dead set on buying a ps3 last year actually! Ended up not getting one though. I feel right now it'd be one or the other. Brand new Ps3s with bundled games here are still over and above £250, Wii Us are the same price so idk. I know I won't be stuck for games, I've wanted to play most on the list actually! I might get a pre owned ps3 actually and build up a library of games for it, a 500gb is around £130 pre owned so that's pretty good!

Going to have a look in GAME and placed like that tomorrow and see what's what. Wii u is still mu preferred one bit of I could get both at a decent price it'd be good!

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:53 »
To save you time, I priced the Wii U in June and the option I found to be best was Grainger Games' MK8 Bundle. £239 for the Black Wii U and MK8 (Black > White, its 32GB > 8 GB). If you're wanting a different bundle I can't tell you what they were as I was exclusively looking at MK8 Bundles.
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Sizacu

• Sentret Fan
  • hello everyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 14:25 »
I read around that if you're planning on buying the black Wii U for downloading games from the eShop, you'll save more money on storage in the long run by buying the white one and an external hard drive, as you'll eventually run out of memory with both consoles regardless. I found out about this quite a while ago though, so I'm not sure if it still holds water :v

Captivating Radiant Elegant Serene Seraphic Enchanting Lovely Immortal Adorable

Are you interested in spriting, or improving it?

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 14:34 »
I dunno, it depends how much you download. If you only download the odd game then 32GB will likely do you, but if you're someone who gets the digital version if every game then a hard drive is useful.

That said, most bundles are for the premium (black) console anyways, so often you don't get a choice
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 14:42 »
One thing to say about the Deluxe model is that you get money back when you download games by using The Deluxe Digital Promotion. It's a really nice incentive to download games, and I've gotten something like $40 back just for buying games I was going to buy on the eShop. I feel like a lot of people don't know or forget about this, but it's very much worth checking out!
Discord - richardblaziken