Author Topic: American football  (Read 14016 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
Re: American football
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 01:58 »
Btw favorite game of 2012-2013 season?

Regular Season:
Jacksonville - Texans I forget which week, but it was 43-37 Texans; holy hell@Chad Henne, I thought he was a joke up until that game.  Granted, he probably still is, but Blackmon was revealed to be a solid receiver and the Texans revealed they can still win despite the momentum being on the other side.  Seeing Schaub handle many 5-receiver sets late in the game was fun to watch as well, considering how merely average Schaub seems to be.

Vikings - Packers Week 17, a lot on the line with the ultimate NFC North rivalry, eeking out a close game between two of the elite in the NFL - Aaron Rodgers and Adrian Peterson.  NFC North is interesting because each team actually really sucks, but has one truly Elite Player (Bears are more all around good with a stellar defense, Urlacher was their "elite" player until recently when he started to decline or got cut).  Packers have Rodgers (QB), Lions have Calvin Johnson/Megatron (WR), and Vikings have Adrian Peterson (RB).

Ravens - Patriots, I like to think the way my semester goes in the Spring is tied heavily to the way the Ravens season ends.  This semester is pretty smooth so far, because Ravens won the Super bowl.  Last Spring was awful, because Ravens were taken out of the Super Bowl because Lee Evans dropped a pass and Billy Cundiff missed a game-tying field goal.  This was catharsis, and the eerie similarity in the ending of the 2012 AFCCG and this regular season game were too good to pass up.  End score was 37-34

Patriots - 49ers - It was so cute seeing the Pats try to come back only to be ultimately beaten by the 49ers.  Too cute.

Falcons - Saints - I think Drew Brees' whole pregame speech of "WE OWN THIS DIVISION!!!!" was awesome, because it lead to a pretty neck-in-neck game and it was a very fun to watch game.

Colts - Packers - Seeing Andrew Luck out there coming back in the second half against Rodger's offense was nothing short of spectacular.  They were motivated till the very end and Luck really did live up to his namesake.

Post-season;
The Super Bowl
Ravens-Broncos - holy CRAP
Packers - 49ers - so this was a great game until the 49ers started to dominate with the read option...  then it became heavily lopsided
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:01 by Lord Raven »
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 12:18 »
The draft is today!!!!!!  8)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:20 by ShinyBlaziken2000 »
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Mr. Apple

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 13:25 »
The draft isnt all that important to me this year, just linemen and stuff. Not to many skill positions. Geno's stock has been falling too. I don't see a qb going in the first round.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 21:31 »
It's important to me, Ravens need Receivers and a Left Tackle and a bunch of defensive linemen

you still need skill to be a limeman

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 21:34 »
I'm a Browns fan, but they will still suck even after the draft, but if we are lucky, we may get 6 wins!

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 21:42 »
How does the draft work exactly? It's not like a soccer transfer window where you can just go for any player, is it?
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 02:23 »
I'm a Browns fan, but they will still suck even after the draft, but if we are lucky, we may get 6 wins!
i wouldn't count you guys out yet, may not beat the bengals or the ravens but the steelers are going to be weak especially if they draft weak

NFL Draft works like this:

1) People in College Football are selected to participate in a draft where teams pick who they want from those college football teams to be on their teams
2) Drafting is in order.  There are 7 rounds with 32 picks each, and #1 in each round, at first, is the 32nd ranked team in the previous year (by record and other things, and there are a _lot_ of other factors in this) presumably so they get the best player or the player they need the most.  The #32 in each round is the winner of the Super Bowl; the rest are sorted by the position in the playoffs they lost (for picks #21-32) and then by record (picks #1-20).
3) Certain team gets compensatory picks in each round based on starters that they have lost, and the compensatory picks are based upon the statistical production of the starters that they have lost.  By signing people that they wish to start in games, they reduce their number of compensatory picks.
4) Players not drafted in the NFL can be signed as undrafted free agents.
5) Teams can trade picks for other picks (typically someone offers two picks for a pick in an earlier round and etc) or they can trade players for picks.  For instance, Ravens recently traded Anquan Boldin in February for a sixth round pick.

That's basically how it works.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:05 by Lord Raven »

Mr. Apple

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 13:19 »
Ej Manuel picked 16th to Buffalo, insted of Nassib, Barkley, or Geno Smith. Didn't see that one coming! Jets also pick a CB. Why trade revis to get a CB who isnt as good as revis? His acl would be fine, im sure, id keep the best player on the team. Some of these teams make me wonder WHY?!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 14:42 »
Yeah what were the Bills thinking???  They're not even good, why draft a qb that nobody knew about and isn't anything special himself?

Ravens get strong safety Matt Elam.  Solid first pick, I'd say, so we could've replaced that mediocre and overrated Pollard.

Mr. Apple

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 22:23 »
I knew about manuel, he burned Virginia Tech last year. :'( Hokies arnt going anywhere fast though...

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 01:02 »
That's actually a good system. So how would an established player (eg- Manning or Brady) move teams? Would the team say "We want your player, how much do you want for him?" like over here, or can players only move in the draft?
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Mr. Apple

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 01:58 »
Yes, thats right, you can trade players. Also, Geno Smith goes to the jets, so now they have 4 qb's. I find that insane.

EDIT: Wow, Jets actually have 6. Seriously. Why???
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 13:41 by Mr. Apple »

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 04:30 »
Geno Smith's career is done.  Jets took some good potential (Mark Sanchez for instance) and rotted it away once.  They are going to do it again.

That's actually a good system. So how would an established player (eg- Manning or Brady) move teams? Would the team say "We want your player, how much do you want for him?" like over here, or can players only move in the draft?
Something like that. Manning's situation was awkward because in 2011 he was out for a neck injury, so he was released by the Colts.  Then he went on this heavy media-hyped journey through teams and settled on the Broncos.  As for Brady - I think Patriots will keep him unless something like that happens.  Also, if production of a player is worth less to the team than the contract they demand, then they make that person walk or trade them.  Recent examples; Darrelle Revas, Anquan Boldin, Wes Welker.  That's when they consider trading them.  As it stands, Manning and Brady despite being in their mid-to-late 30s, are very competitive and competent players, so they won't be traded or cut anytime soon short of a career ending injury.

Players can move any time during free agency (once their contract expires) or when they are released from a team for whatever reason.  You can generally trade whenever but I don't think you can trade once the season starts.  Trades have always been an odd thing, to be honest.

The NFL is not really like European Soccer, because it strives for competitive balance.  They also play development stuff, so some teams don't mind losing for a few seasons because they are developing.  Look up what the Oakland Raiders have been doing as of late to see what I mean; they cut nearly 50-60% of their roster this offseason so they could rebuild with the draft and cheap free agents and become a solid team again.  Like the team who lost the AFCCG in 2001 because of the dumb tuck rule.

Also, just to clarify; the draft is for college players only.  It does not apply to players already in the league.

Fun fact for you, though; Tom Brady was drafted in Round 6 as the 199th overall pick by the Patriots.  He was actually very close to being undrafted and selling insurance (and that day haunts him to this day; hence, he has a chip on his shoulder).  Peyton Manning, his "rival" of this generation, was drafted 1st overall by the Colts in contrast; a lot of qbs tend to be taken first round if they're projected to be really good.  People just underestimated Tom Brady, and now the league is paying for it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:39 by Lord Raven »

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 12:56 »
That's the truth, San Diego took Mant'i Teo.

Mr. Apple

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 16:22 »
That's the truth, San Diego took Mant'i Teo.

Was that in the 2nd or 3rd round? I missed it.