Author Topic: Sebastian Vettel.  (Read 3566 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Wolstenholme

Sebastian Vettel.
« on: October 27, 2013, 17:18 »
So, with the Indian Grand Prix behind us, Sebastian Vettel takes his 4th world title.... in a row, also securing the constructors title for Red Bull.

At first we thought that the young German was incredibly lucky and that his 2010 world title would be a fluke, but we were all wrong. It seems that Vettel can do no wrong, he is constantly taking flawless victories and building leads on grand prixs that would be impossible for any other driver on the field. (except perhaps Kimi Raikkonen!) But while Vettel is constantly bathed in glory, Mark Webber has the most rotten luck imaginable - he is almost constantly facing DNFs, penalties and retirements.

With his fourth world title, Vettel is now on par with Juan Manuel Fangio, Alain Prost and Michael Schumacher but how many more can he get? The record of the most world titles ever achieved is held by Michael Schumacher, with 7. Vettel is still young and could be set to change this. But what does the future hold? With Daniel Ricciardo as his teammate next year and Kimi Raikkonen alongside Fernando Alonso at Ferrari the way things are run around the track could be set to change.

What is your opinion on Sebastian Vettel? - Are you pleased with his win this year? Will things change next year? Is Vettel just extremely lucky? Is Vettel arrogant?

Discuss!

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
Re: Sebastian Vettel.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 10:01 »
Adrian Newey is the winner here, not Vettel.

Sebastian Vettel is on par with Damon Hill, David Coulthard, and Jacques Villenueve. Put him in the fastest car and he'll dominate every other car on the grid. Take him out of that car and he'll probably be mediocre at best.

Case in point: Jacques Villenueve achieved nothing after leaving Williams. Damon Hill won at Spa in 1998 for Jordan due to Schumacher, Irvine, Coulthard and Hakkinen retiring. All he had to do was finish. Vettel won in a Torro Rosso only after the top four or five drivers had terrible qualifying and races. I've been watching F1 since I was very young, and in my time I've only seen a mere handful of drivers I can consider 'greats'

Ayrton Senna- Ruthless and fast, no matter what car you put him in. Put the 'racing' into 'motor racing'. The greatest of them all
Alain Prost- Top strategist, very intelligent racer. Knew the car, knew the tracks.
Michael Schumacher- For all his faults, a genius in development and behind the wheel.
Mika Hakkinen- The only driver Schumacher ever feared. Fast, methodical and knew how to get the most out of even the worst cars.

And out of the modern drivers:

Lewis Hamilton- Will be one of the greats. He's a born racer, he'll take you on no matter how crap his car is.
Fernando Alonso- Like Lewis, he'll still take you on no matter how awful his package is.
Kimi Raikkonen- Goes away for two years and comes back still as quick as ever. Natural talent and deserved more than his one world title.

Until Vettel can prove he doesn't need the fastest car on the grid, I'll take him seriously. Until then, he's just another driver. You could argue that Webber should finish second every race, but his 'alternator failures' are happening too often to be taken as just a mechanical problem. Funny how he has all the problems yet Vettel gets shiny new parts on his car and a gearbox that works perfectly well.

Which leads me into next season. Ricciardo's career will be over after the Brazilian GP. After that he'll have to play second fiddle to a driver who has Christian Horner's head so far up his arse he'll get treated like crap in the same way Barrichello did when he was at Ferrari and Johnny Herbert when he was at Benetton. There's a reason Vettel didn't want Kimi or Fernando at Red Bull with him: He was scared they'd beat him. That's not me being anti-Vettel, it's the truth. He can't stand anyone coming close to him. Yes, we all like winning, but he's got this addiction that's ruining his credibility as a driver.

So yeah. Adrian Newey 4-0 Vettel.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 01:44 »
Alonso, Raikonnen and Vettel are the best three drivers in F1

Briish drivers are horribly overrated, Vettel is just easy to dislike

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 22:33 »
Button and Di Resta are overrated, Lewis isn't.

Lewis is a better driver than Vettel, but not as good as Kimi or Fernando.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Wolstenholme

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:10 »
I have a Jenson Button t-shirt  :P

I don't think Di Resta is overrated, he gets a lot of bad luck with crashes though...

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:28 »
Button and Di Resta are overrated, Lewis isn't.

Lewis is a better driver than Vettel, but not as good as Kimi or Fernando.

Lewis lacks consistency at the level of those, mentally (big part of F1) he's weaker and tries to compensate with aggressive driving which doesn't always work. He's definitely the weakest of the top 4.

Never got the hype for Di Resta, would have done alright for Minardi back in the day

EDIT: Really hope Schumacher pulls through, can't have another legend dying too soon
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:52 by Gurren Lagann »