Author Topic: Uniform  (Read 3911 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
Uniform
« on: September 09, 2014, 20:35 »
So a few people mentioned school uniforms in the how ya doin topic and I figured that probably warranted a topic of it's own, yeh?

From the posts in the other topic it looks like sixth form dress code is a lot stricter now than in my day. Sixth form meant wearing whatever you wanted as long as it wasn't somehow dangerous (like, iuno, pointy accessories?)... although, saying that, my high school uniform was pretty lax generally (the only real uniform part was the school polo shirt, so as long as we wore black trousers and shoes anything else went, really.)

I definitely don't miss those days of school uniform...

Sooo... What kind of dress code/ uniform does your school/ college/ university/ workplace have and what do you think of it?

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 20:39 »
My college is pretty much wear what you like as long as it's something, which kinda brings with it the problem of having to choose what to wear every morning, and there's only so many time's Polo Shirt + Jeans works xD
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Wolstenholme

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 21:04 »
My sixth form used to be non uniform but the change to Academy changed everything, the sixth form became endorsed with all the Academy stuff and now it's under the rule of a group of academies called Outwood...

Our code is business dress and basically, everyone has to wear a blazer, boys have to wear a shirt and tie and girls have to wear blouses, dresses etc. we're not even allowed sleeveless tops it's ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure my grades would actually be so much higher if I was allowed to be COMFORTABLE whilst learning rather than having to spend the whole day rearranging tights etc.

It's also especially annoying because the bum designers who make girls workwear only ever seem to put fake pockets into clothing.

SOMEONE TELL ME THE USE OF A FAKE POCKET (and no, they are not just stitched over pockets, they are literally pocket flaps without openings underneath)

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 21:30 »
Same, back in my day we could wear anything. Now 6th form wear formal clothes likes suits, it's hilarious.

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 21:58 »
 I loved uniform.

My comprehensive school has replaced it's jumpers with really awkward looking fleece things and they just look stupid.

Like, I know it's silly but if we all wore our own clothes then I can imagine some of us wouldn't even be friends. Like I pretty much befriend everyone regardless of what they wear but I can imagine people actively not talking to those looking like goths or chavs etc because we were all little shissssses back then.

We pretty much wore jumpers, shirts, ties, grey trousers, and black shoes. I enjoyed it.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:11 »
haha you nerds in england we never had uniforms in american public schools
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:50 »
^ It gets cancelled out with our free healthcare ;).

But in all seriousness, it's better because everyone is equal and every day doesn't turn into a fashion parade. Hence the reason we hardly had non-uniform days. Because it became 'let's make the poorer kids feel bad about themselves' day. Maybe the attitude to it is different over the other side of the pond. Having a uniform makes it easier for the general public to identify the riff-raff hanging around the local Tesco at half past seven in the morning.

I loved my school uniform. Blue shirt, navy blue jumper, black trousers, black shoes, navy blue tie. I like blue... Blue is awesome...

My workplace dress code is pretty simple. Wear whatever the hell you like. Every day is casual Friday! AS there's only two of us in the company it's just the way things go. When someone comes to visit we have to make an effort though...
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 11:28 »
have you seen american high schools?  most of them are nowhere close to a fashion parade - gym shorts, sweatpants, and crappy T-shirts everyday once the first two or three weeks are over.  Nothing like TV.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 11:48 »
have you seen american high schools?  most of them are nowhere close to a fashion parade

Hence the reason I said "Maybe things are different over your side of the pond compared to here" (Or words to that effect)
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 13:00 »
TBH I don't know how I would've mannaged wearing some different everyday. Probably would've just worn some fleece everyday like a uniform if it wasnt properly enforced.

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 14:34 »
i loved my uniform. it was a white button up shirt with black trousers/skirt and a black cardigan or zipper in the colder months. they gave you a lot of freedom with it too, i got to wear my dumb black emo skinny jeans daily. the only real issue was the kinda sexist rules they had about stuff like how long a skirt has to be or how many buttons girls need to have done up Because It Would Distract The Boys -_________-

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Wolstenholme

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 14:48 »
I don't think skirt regulations are exactly sexist. Of course the boys may get distracted by a short skirt and yes, they should be able to keep themselves at bay. I think the problem with short skirts is that they're inappropriate for work, people may catch unwanted glimpses of knickers and if your blazer is too long or you're wearing a jacket you can't actually see the skirt at all.

Call me old fashioned but I just hate seeing anyone in a really short skirt.

If shorts are inappropriate for boys, I don't see why girls should be allowed to have skirts shorter than mid to three quarter thigh length.

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 14:59 »
oh no short short skirts are pretty terrible to me just because i know its just gonna open the person up to leering and such from creeps on the street and so on. i dont care if a girl wants to wear a skirt that short. the regulations in my school basically said all skirts needed to be no less than an inch above the knee because it would distract boys. a lot of girls chose trousers anyway because wearing a skirt was so much bloody hassle you kept getting stopped to pull it down to a Respectable Height and stuff. your top button was the only button that could be undone too lol.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 15:37 »
saying you can't wear short skirts cause it distracts the boys is in itself sexist but i don't think pre-pubescent kids should wear short skirts cause it just.... freaks me out. little kids should dress like little kids

i mean i never wore skirts anyway cause i hated them and my legs didn't look good in them. my uniform was always basic; black trousers/skirt, black jumper and white polo shirt. awful in the winter cause we'd freeze to death but ok in the summer. i do wish i could have worn shorts but some girls got expelled for protesting girls couldn't wear shorts despite the fact boys couldn't wear shorts either

my sixth form had business dress which was ok. some people hated it and tried to flaunt it at any given opportunity with tiny skirts or dresses, or polo shirts or really gross jumpers :/

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 18:11 »
6th form at my school is fairly relaxed in terms of dress codes

short skirts are fine as long as you're wearing tights; the only real rule is that midriff can't be exposed which is probably a bit odd seeing as it's all girls anyway but i'm not all that fussed tbh

thanks gl <3