Author Topic: Building a Monotype team  (Read 1474 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Building a Monotype team
« on: January 30, 2016, 15:03 »
I've been thinking about it for a while, so i've finally decided to do so. I want to build a monotype team for fun but I have no clue where to start, even after reading the guides on Smogon. I know a few types I may want to consider but I don't know what to do with what.

Types i'm considering include the following: Water, Grass, Flying, and Fairy.

I am willing to do almost any type besides dragon, because it's too overdone tbh. If anyone has any suggestions to start building off of, i'd love to know. Sweepers, Walls, Gimmicks (Marti, get your behind over here if you're reading this), or just to tell me how much of a n00b I am.

One thing though, I do know one mon I want to use if it isn't banned I end up going down the water avenue. Other than that, i'm ready to listen.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Monotype team
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 11:28 »
Mono Water is still a pretty great way to go. You get Politoed, Ludicolo, Kabutops, Rotom-Wash, Manaphy, Keldeo, Azumarill, Crawdaunt, and Lord Helix himself. There's a lot of flexibility there, and as long as you can keep Rain up, you have a significant edge against many other mono-type teams.

Flying is great because it has so many secondary type members that it becomes a bit of a hodge-podge team, but it does have the obvious Stealth Rock hindrances on many members.

Mono-Fairy is decent in Monotype, due to lack of common weaknesses and diversity, but there aren't that many good Fairy types around to make a team out of. Mega Gardevoir, Clefable, Azumarill, Klefki, Sylveon, Mega Diancie, Togekiss, maybe Whimsicott. It'd struggle to be a cohesive team I think, though it could work with Klefki providing hazards and paralysis support to lead the match I guess. I don't think this type is the way to go.

Grass I'm unsure about. It doesn't have enough members that cover its weaknesses, especially to Flying.

I'd be more willing to help construct if you had a type picked out specifically. Steel is generally a great choice, Ground can be good, Psychic has a lot of options. Water, as I said before, has an abundance of choices.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 21:42 »
I'm most likely going to go with water. My thing is that they type itself is too reliant on rain from my experience and i'd rather not build a rain team. It'll probably end up being a rain team either way.

I do want to use Suicune if at all possible though.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 22:20 »
If you don't want to build a rain team specifically, I'd still suggest Specs Politoed. You don't have to build the team around rain at all, but having access to a boost in power for your STAB attacks is great, and Specs Politoed is self-sufficient. In any case, Politoed at the very least combats Mono-Fire/Ground/Rock/Ice that are running an opposing weather.

That said, if you're looking to include Suicune, it sounds like you're leaning toward defensive or bulky offense. Qwilfish is an odd choice, but it provides Spikes support, as well as Paralysis support and can Destiny Bond itself away before going down.

Ludicolo and Quagsire/Gastrodon are great choices for mitigating weakness to Grass and Electric, respectively. You could go with Lightningrod Seaking, but Seaking's pretty terrible.

What kind of set are you looking to use with Suicune? If you get a few Pokemon together that you know you want to use it'll be easier to make recommendations on how to finish the team.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 21:20 »
So I finally started building my team and here's what I have so far:

-I'm running your usual crocune suicune set. Sleep talk still over ice beam because Coverage < Not being a vegetable while in rest

-Rotom Wash is on the team but I don't have a set for it

-Politoed with specs and drizzle:

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Modest
248 HP/252 SpA/8 SpD
Ability: The only one that matters (Drizzle)

Hydro Pump
Focus Blast
Ice Beam
HP Grass