Author Topic: Cosplay help.  (Read 2977 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MangaDragon

• Viridithorn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Cosplay help.
« on: August 10, 2013, 01:37 »
(I'm not sure if this is the right topic for this....)

Next year there's going to be an anime-con near here and I'm going to it with my friend (who will also be cosplaying as, so far, either Amu from Shugo Chara, Takuya from Digimon Frontier -she did this last month at another anime-con and she got complements, or Protoman from Megaman NT Warrior -I gave her a Protoman helmet-like hat and she got a red shirt and paint so she could cosplay as him; she even has goggles in about the right shape for the visor).

I'm not sure who I'm going as.
These are only examples that almost everyone would know so you can get an idea of what I can/allowed to do:

Leaf from Pokemon LeafGreen/FireRed: With adjustments I'd be able to wear the shirt (can't go sleeve-less). I DO NOT want to wear a skirt.
I'd be able to crochet the hat.
My hair is too short and curly for the hair.

Kris/Lyra from Crystal/SoulSilver/HeartGold.
I wouldn't be able to wear those clothes (from what I remember). Can't get my hair like that/wrong color.
I REFUSE TO WEAR THOSE CLOTHES AND THAT HAT.

May from Sapphire/Ruby.
I wouldn't be allowed to wear the short-shorts. I'd never get my hair like that/it's too long.

Dawn from Pearl/Diamond/Platinum.
My hair is the wrong color, too curly, but about the right length. I do NOT want to wear those clothes.

Hilda from Black/White. I would easily be able to have my hair like that (since it's my favorite hair style, actually) but I wouldn't be allowed to wear the short-shorts.

Rosa from White2/Black2.
My hair is too short and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to cosplay that.

I'm not limited to just Pokemon. I just used the chars for ideas. I would prefer to have a hair-style similar to Hilda's.
I can't dye my hair.
If I have to wear a skirt, I'd prefer it to be one of those skirt-short things.
I'm not that tall.

I don't mind cosplaying as a guy, either, although the only problem is all the anime/manga/video game guys I'm a fan of either have longer hair than I do, shorter hair, usually the wrong color, usually the wrong style (straight or wild) clothes that would be really hard to cosplay, clothes that might be too warm/not warm enough for that time of year, and most of them are taller than me.

If it can be something simple, that would be great because I wouldn't be able to spend a lot on cosplaying stuff.
And before any of you point out "if cosplaying was simple than the average person walking down the street would be cosplaying", let me point out one char that everyone could easily cosplay: L. (You can't get much simpler than jeans and a white shirt.)

I did post this on another website and I was told to cosplay as someone from Spirited Away (never saw it) and someone else suggested someone from Star Wars (which I have no interest in.)

I would like suggestions and I'd most likely be picking more than one so I have at least one back-up depending on the weather.

Alumina on Fanfiction.Net
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2452493/

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
Re: Cosplay help.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 08:28 »
wait what was the question again
           

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:40 »
just get wigs and style them?

also body type/height/skin colour doesnt matter in cosplay. dress how you like.

theres some amazing cosplayers out there who are overweight and cosplay characters who are skinny in canon
or have dark skin cosplaying someone from sailor moon
or are short cosplaying the condesce from homestuck who is like 7ft tall or something lmao

it doesnt matter dude just work hard on your cosplay and youll look great no matter what height/weight/skin colour you are
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:44 by sylar »

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline MangaDragon

• Viridithorn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 01:09 »
I'd like help trying to figure out who would be fun to cosplay.

I don't know if a wig would actually work/I'd really have no where to keep it after the event because this may be the only time I'd be going to one.

Would cosplaying work if I did one of my favorite guy chars, only with my favorite hair style (which is WAY different from spiky-ness) even though it's kind of girly? (Although I have seen guy chars with that hair-style....)

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 01:42 »
You may not have the right hair or stuff like that for the characters of the series, but I can't help but to ask, do you like the Kingdom Hearts series?
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline MangaDragon

• Viridithorn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 01:51 »
I got addicted to it at 358/2 Days. I have a few of the other games and I'm trying to get through the GBA one but Riku isn't letting me win  :(.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 02:07 »
You may be able to cosplay as one of the nobodies.

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 02:11 »
That's true - Xion was pretty short, and you could wear a hood if you don't want to change your hair.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 02:13 »
If she's willing to be a boy, Axel and Roxas are viable options.

Offline MangaDragon

• Viridithorn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 02:30 »
Sadly the only problem would be the cloak because I don't know how I'd make one of those and I'd probably also need a Keyblade, right?
(KH 3D Spoiler. Axel's is really nice.)

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 02:45 »
if you like the outfit/look of a male character then you could easily dress as one of those.
or a female version of them, genderbends are pretty common.
so long as its fun and youre comfortable and have a nice time then do whatever woo.

so yeah if you pick a character with a look you think youd like to do then id say do it, even if you have to alter it a bit to be comfortable/allowed. 

i would second getting a wig though, wigs are fun (and you can get them pretty cheaply off ebay).

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:48 by Sebastian Moran »

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Offline MangaDragon

• Viridithorn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 03:15 »
Actually yes, but I don't know how well it'd turn out with the hairstyle similar to Hilda (especially tied with a ribbon that I have that I like). I feel like it'd be too girly for that char.

What about keeping them neat afterwards? I don't know of any places near hear that would sell wigs other than the bright pink, green, rainbow, blue, or any other colors that stand out too much and are made with what feels like plastic. I think my hair is too fluffy to be able to wear one, but I can add color by either braiding or tying colorful yarn in with my hair. I did that today for an international fair that was going on today.

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 04:52 »
yeah, cheap wigs are likely to be synthetic so you can't style them with heated instruments like hair straighteners. you can cut them and use gel/wax/clips to style them easily enough, although complicated hairstyles like Kris/Marina's would be difficult to replicate, heh.
also buy a wig cap to stop your hair from showing underneath or getting in the way, (they're p cheap and a lot of wigs come with a cap when you buy them... or you can use a bit cut off of the end of tights/stockings to hold your hair back.

to keep them neat, if you don't have a polystyrene head/etc then you can turn them inside out to keep them mostly in place.  you'd probably need to restyle them a bit more before putting them back on again though, and it's easier to style them on your head particularly if you have somebody to check that it looks okay from the back as well.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 04:55 by Sebastian Moran »

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
           

Offline MangaDragon

• Viridithorn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 01:16 »
I don't have to use a wig, right? Especially if this is really going to be the only time I would need it. Also knowing me I'd probably be allergic to something the wig is made out of.