Author Topic: American football  (Read 14009 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
American football
« on: April 15, 2013, 12:28 »
Anyone out there like the NFL? If you do, this is where you can discuss it! The draft is almost here, by the way.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Mr. Apple

Re: American football
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:05 »
Im picking the skins to win it all
RG3 will be better this year

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 21:09 »
I don't know, the seahawks were good, they'll be in the playoffs, the seahawks go to NFC Champs.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 18:18 »
I'm a huge Ravens fan (I'm from Baltimore) but I'm leaning towards a Texans-Seahawks Superbowl in 2013.

Texans will have a strong defense next year through the help of Ed Reed (though he won't be playing too well - he'll just be a great leader) and their offense will still be decent despite Schaub being a slightly above average qb.  I think we can face the fact that Pats are on a decline and Broncos *maybe* are not as good as we thought (although Broncos are my second favorite team) just cause their 11 game win streak was against the AFC West and an injury heavy Ravens....  Who knows, maybe the Colts can take it away this year too?  Luck did very well as a rookie in the no huddle, so he could be the heir to Manning in Indianapolis.  And then there's the Bengals...  AFC North could be a challenge this year.

(btw I'm a Ravens fan that doesn't really harbor any grudge towards the Colts because I wasn't alive in the 90s and one of the first football games I saw were Super Bowl 35 anyway).

Seahawks have an explosive offense in Russell Wilson, but I'm hoping they can actually take out the 49ers and Falcons this time in the playoffs.  I'm finding it hard to predict the NFC side of the SB just because of stuff like that; Falcons learns they don't really choke (although their second half still needs much to be desired, especially against the 49ers who live for second half comebacks- it also seems like they enjoy the Game Manager stance on offense for the second half which makes zero sense) or is getting better about it.  49ers are just plain destructive.  Seahawks are on the rise, Redskins have two extremely powerful quarterbacks that they should learn to switch out, Giants are the Giants and once they hit the playoffs it's practically game over.  Saints will maybe have a defense in 2013.

And then we have the NFC North, with 3 strong playoff contenders (despite only 2 making it) last year and the Lions which have an explosive offense offset by an awful defense - they tend to lose games within a field goal.

2013 is a little predictable for the AFC (though the Chiefs may be better in 2013, same with the Bengals and the Browns, Steelers are in rebuild mode, the AFC East and most of the rest of the AFC West is a joke outside of their leaders though), but the NFC has far too much going for it.  They whooped us in the pro bowl (62-35 holy crap).

But Chargers are going to win it all anyway, who cares....

Also, favorite teams by division?  Mine are

AFC West - Broncos
AFC North - Ravens!!!!!!!!!!!!
AFC East - none, I hate them all
AFC South - Texans
NFC West - Seahawks
NFC North - Lions
NFC East - Giants
NFC South - Saints
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 18:23 by Lord Raven »
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 18:56 »
The Pats will probably bottle it again.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Mr. Apple

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 00:27 »
AFC East hater?! Shame. Pats are my favorite, but losing Welker screwed them. Broncos will be in super bowl versus the skins, and rg3 will PWN

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 05:47 »
The Pats will probably bottle it again.
Yeah because the Pats aren't that dominant anymore.  Brady's O-line is great but against a competent pass rush he really sucks at getting rid of the ball in the right way- if you see other players, they can scramble to some extent (Joe Flacco, Rodgers), get something to a slot receiver or tight end (Joe Flacco, Rodgers, Luck, Eli, and even Schaub), scramble to hell and back (RG3, Kaepernick, Wilson), or play a quick, no-huddle offense that lets them get the ball out quickly and easily (Peyton Manning).  Brady borders on intentional downing and almost-interceptions.  Their defense tends to suck most of the time and frankly everyone's rising up to the challenge to beat them - it's the reason why you see these constant Pats blowouts, because they're paranoid that their defense won't give them the upper hand in the game.  It's been shown as of late that you don't need an "Elite" QB to succeed, you just need one who can step it up in the playoffs.

Brady will be remembered as one of the greatest qbs of all time (up there with Peyton, Montana, etc)  and I think he deserves one more ring, but I absolutely abhor his organization and his coach and I hate the whole AFC East.  He is a monster but he is too old to take it all the way and win another Super Bowl.  Manning has the same issue these days.  Players like Eli, Flacco, etc are clutch and it's players like them who can take people to championships and Super Bowls, not Brady.

AFC East hater?! Shame. Pats are my favorite, but losing Welker screwed them. Broncos will be in super bowl versus the skins, and rg3 will PWN
Are you serious?  Let me tell you piece by piece what I think about this post.

Welker was a slot receiver, which you can get anywhere.  They didn't lose much with him, and frankly Peyton will have a good time with him on the Broncos.  But you must remember, Brady won many super bowls with a poor receiving core; his play is actually so good that it elevates the play of those around him.  Welker's loss didn't "screw" him, because he also got Danny Amendola who was helping carry the Rams (despite the Rams winning 7.5 of their 16 games).  They also resigned Aqib Talib as a corner, so their secondary will be fine.  What will hurt Brady is the potential for Rob Grondkowski to be out for part of the season.  They also still have the draft.

As for the Broncos-Skins super bowl, hold your breath.  Manning's playoff track record isn't too hot (two Super Bowls, one lost, and winning as many games as Joe Flacco did in 5 years compared to Manning's 10+, while losing 11), and the Broncos will hit the playoffs by virtue of being in the weakest division (the AFC West, where they are guaranteed at least 5 wins).  It is nowhere near a certainty that they will be in top shape for the Super Bowl as many may think, especially because they have to play against the Giants, Patriots, Ravens, Texans, Redskins, and Cowboys.  KC may even be good during this season, provided they can create a coherent team with all of their talent.

This merely prevents them from a 1 or 2 seed.  But the playoffs are totally different.

As for why I hate the AFC East;

I went to high school with Rex Ryan's son and because of the way his oldest son was treated I despise him as a human being.  He plays favorites with his sons; his oldest son was left in Maryland and he despises it because his grandparents can't do much for him, and his younger son lives in Jersey and plays football.  Add to that how he's a fool of a head coach and how he pretty much destroyed the development of Mark Sanchez and lead the Jets to a really dumb series of losses further shows how poor he is of a head coach.  I have zero respect for the Jets organization and I advise all of New York/Jersey to hop onto the inconsistent-but-generally-a-respectable-franchise known as the New York Giants.  On top of that, Rex Ryan is too loud mouthed, dumb, and egotistical when he talks.  He was a quality defensive coordinator, which I feel was wasted because of Kyle frickin' Boller, but he cannot coach a damn team!

I despise the Patriots because Bellichick has no soul.  I also despise them because of the frontrunners that hopped on board over in Baltimore because of their 16-0 season.  And on top of that, the Patriost fans wonder why we hate them; because many local ones just jumped on the bandwagon when they started winning games.  I bet they never knew that their beloved Patriots really were not dominant at all until Drew Bledsoe was injured; that's the only reason Brady ever got to toss a football.  Not only that, but they were the reason for that extremely dumb tuck rule, and thankfully the refs in the Ravens-Broncos game realized it was a dumb rule because they called a Manning pass a fumble.  And their fans still piss me off because they aren't even smart about being fans; they've lost two super bowls since 2004, so I don't know why you're frontrunning on the Patriots.  Regular season success means nothing if you can't take away the Super Bowl consistently, and you lose to a team that was most likely 6-seed in the end...  twice.  I'm almost surprised these dumb Patriots fans aren't Giants fans, although I would be pissed off if they were because I genuinely respect the Giants.

Don't get me wrong, I do respect Tom Brady but I think he is a poor sportsman when he loses both on and off the field, which annoys the hell out of me; I can't blame him though, the dude was picked on the sixth round of the draft and he has a huge chip on his shoulder as a result.  He is a great guy though.

The Dolphins are a foolish organization that do nothing but hire overpriced free agents that really aren't that great.  Case in point; Dannell Ellerbe, Chad Ochocinco, etc.  They have no clue what they're doing and whatever.

And the Bills are so forgettable that nobody cares about them outside of Buffalo.

More on the Skins, no the Skins probably won't make it yet.  Kirk Cousins is still somewhat unproven despite playing some explosive games, and RG3 will get injured if he keeps up his style of play.  They need to give RG3 better protection and RG3 needs to learn to scramble better.  There is no way he will be able to learn to scramble like Aaron Rodgers or hell even Colin Kaepernick in before the preseason with a torn ACL.  Not only that, but Shanahan is too stupid to know when RG3 is injured.  Although, I guess you have Haloti Ngata to blame for that!  Ha!  Go Ravens!

I sincerely think Russell Wilson can improve and take the Seahawks to the Super Bowl.  If not them, then the 49ers have a great shot too, and if the Giants make the playoffs it's GAME OVER.  As for the AFC side, I can be a homer and put up a case for the Ravens, although I really want the Broncos to hit the Super Bowl.  I don't think it'll happen though.  So I'm going to guess Texans if they continue to improve, considering the talent they have on their roster (Arian Foster, JJ Watt - scratch that, the whole defense, Ed Reed (my manz), with Matt Schaub as a game manager that can make great plays), or even the Colts if Luck truly lives up to his namesake.  But Broncos-Skins, especially the Skins part, is too farfetched.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:38 by Lord Raven »

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 11:00 »
I despise the Patriots because Bellichick has no soul.  I also despise them because of the frontrunners that hopped on board over in Baltimore because of their 16-0 season.  And on top of that, the Patriost fans wonder why we hate them; because many local ones just jumped on the bandwagon when they started winning games.

And they 'cheated'. Whatever they did...
[Three Word Rule]

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 17:58 »
Yeah I don't really care about Spygate.  Bear in mind that they actually got better after Spygate.  Their 16-0 season was post-Spygate, for reference, and they would've won the Super Bowl if Eli wasn't clutch.

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 22:16 »
Personally, I didn't see 'spygate' as a big deal. Purely because it happens in English football all the time.

clutch

Forgive the ignorance, but is that another term for 'crap'?
[Three Word Rule]

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 22:36 »
No, considering Brady lost to Eli in two super bowls lol

Clutch means you work best under pressure

Example:  Eli Manning is clutch, his brother is not.  Eli's the master of 4th quarter comebacks and playoff runs as a sixth seed, considering the sheer number of 4th quarter comebacks he's had, and throws like this that cause major upsets in the NFL.  Peyton, however, chokes in the playoffs constantly, this being one of the more recent examples.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 22:46 by Lord Raven »

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 22:57 »
He did well to stay on his feet, I must say.

See, in English football, we just refer to players like Eli as 'dench' or 'beast'.

I follow the NFL, there's just not many ways of watching it over here.
[Three Word Rule]

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 23:31 »
idk if it's a universal term (i'd have thought english people would've heard of it too...  lol) but clutch refers to anyone able to perform under pressure and not just sportsmen

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 10:48 »
Nah, it's a term I've never heard in that context before. I always thought the clutch was the third pedal in my car that I use to change gear with.

I've watched college football before. Always amazed at the crowds that show up for that.
[Three Word Rule]

Mr. Apple

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 12:52 »
Belicheck has a soul. He just hides it behind his hoodie.

Its a very good hiding spot...