Author Topic: 3DS advice?  (Read 1721 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
3DS advice?
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:28 »
I've been determined for ages that I don't need a 3DS because my DS Lite still works fine (although one of the hinges is broken), but the new Pokémon 3DS XLs have kind of swung it for me. I'm just wondering whether it's worthwhile buying my first 3DS brand new this much after release - are there enough games to make it worth it?

Just looking at a few, I know the games I would get would be   X and/or Y, FE: Awakening, Animal Crossing, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Resident Evil Revelations and possibly Luigi's Mansion.. Are there any other games that'd make it worth my while getting a 3DS?
(If Digimon Re:Digitize Decode ever got localised I'd be straight onto the 3DS but alas it has not been so far.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:37 by Webby »

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:55 »
Well, 3DS has been leading the unit sales charge for a while now, and I'd say yes, there are some fantastic reasons to buy a 3DS!

Animal Crossing is interesting... it's incredibly fun for a while, but all at once, everyone stopped playing. They made great strides in doing things to keep you interested, but ultimately it didn't seem to last beyond a few months for most people, myself included. Really a shame. Still, it's a lot of fun, especially if you have friends to play with.

I hear from literally everyone that FE:Awakening is amazing, but I've yet to purchase it because I have too many other games to play.

Can't speak for the other 3, but I can say that Mario Kart 7 is absolutely fantastic, Ocarina 3D is an experience that everyone should have, Tales of the Abyss looks great on 3DS, and there's Layton games for 3DS if that's your thing.

But besides all of this, there are eShop exclusive games and apps, as well as older games for NES, Gameboy, GBA and DSiWare, which all make for an even better all-in-one system. It's honestly my favorite system, and I pretty much never leave the house without it, so I mean... I would highly recommend it! =D

...Also, X/Y... so you can get your Mega Blaziken :3
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:02 by Richard and Blaziken »
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline The Macintosh Ninja: SOH CAH TOA

• PUK's original ninja. So zetta slow!!
  • Sentret Fan
  • Look, I finally changed my avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:08 »
Resident Evil: Revelaitons is a fun game. I know there is an HD port for PS3/360/PC, but the handheld version looks great too. I played through the campaign thrice and there is a "Raid Mode" included that is a lot like Mercenaries, except you choose your loadout and the purpose is to go from point A to B.

I also have Mario Kart 7, which is fun to play here and there. I haven't tried online, though I imagine that is also fun (if you enjoyed Mario Kart Wii or DS, you'll likely enjoy this one too).

Other games I'd recommend are Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Kid Icarus: Uprising.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is an "RPG" like game where you play as a Hunter that accepts missions to slay large monsters. When you bring them down, you can carve 'em up for parts to make better armor/weapons. It sounds repetitive, but it really is a lot of fun once you get the hang of dodging and attacking. Plus, with 12 different weapon types there is a lot of choice in terms of offense.

Kid Icarus: Uprising stars Pit, from the Kid Icarus series, and is a third-person "shooter" of sorts. You start off most levels with a 5-minute long "on-rails shooter", then continue the stage on land. It is really fun, especially on harder difficulties, and the large amount of weapons and modifications to them really amp up replay value. And the dialogue is great: lots of great humor that younger kids might not catch (meaning humor that calls for more intelligence, such as the several times the fourth-wall is broken or clever word play). Multiplayer is an "arena" battle, where you either fight others in teams or in a free-for-all battle. You can use weapons you find in single-player, but the "stronger" your weapon the more points the opposing team/player gets for defeating you.

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 23:10 »
Plenty. I'll just list ones I recommend.

Mario Kart 7
Ocarina of Time (Even if you've played it, the new graphics and 3D effect are awesome)
Starfox 64 3D (See above)
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Fire Emblem Awakening
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros 2
Luigi's Mansion 2
Kid Icarus Uprising
Resident Evil Revelations
Tales of the Abyss
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Super Street Fighter IV
Donkey Kong Country Returns

And as mentioned, there are tons of offerings on the eShop, both new and retro. ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 21:07 by Angelic Lapras King »

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 14:40 »
Looking at everyone else's posts, it seems that I'm out of games to recommend. If you can grab Pilotwings: Resort at a ludicrously low second hand price, it might be fun for a bit but otherwise the lists covered are reasonably comprehensive.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 20:29 »
Plenty. I'll just list ones I recommend.

Mario Kart 7
Ocarina of Time (Even if you've played it, the new graphics and 3D effect are awesome)
Super Mario 3D Land
Kid Icarus Uprising

These 4 are the only ones I have played and agree with. If you like american football (probably not), get the madden game for it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 21:08 by Angelic Lapras King »
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 22:11 »
Super Mario 3D Land is good, but when you finish it...it hasn't got much replay value. The same goes for Super Mario Bros 2

Mario Kart 7 can keep you playing to get the coins to unlock all the karts and such, so it's something to get if you were to get anything.

Animal Crossing is indeed good fun for a while, but it dies out eventually.

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:08 »
If you like Shin Megami Tensei games / RPGs in general, I've heard really good things about the 3DS port of Soul Hackers.

I really like all the 3DS's additional little things, like the surprisingly good little web browser and the pedometer. Would you get the red or the blue one? :3

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 21:40 »
Would you get the red or the blue one? :3

BLUEEEE! :3

OK, I think I've got enough reasons to buy a 3DS... as soon as I get my new bank card (silly bank :|) I'll be playing Fire Emblem and Pokémon X~

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"