Author Topic: Join Avenue - Levels and EV Training  (Read 7061 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • One among the Fence
    • View Profile
Join Avenue - Levels and EV Training
« on: October 17, 2012, 16:26 »
How's your Join Avenue looking? =]

It's a strange new feature, isn't it? I thought I'd clarify a few things here that our page, and indeed anywhere I've looked, doesn't really mention yet.

There are several shops in the Avenue that can increase your Pokémon's level, or increase / decrease their EVs. They are:

Levels: Café, Dojo
Increase EVs: Café, Dojo, Mart
Decrease EVs: Beauty Salon, Florist

Now they all do this in different ways, and it isn't necessarily clear what the most efficient way of training is.

My Advice
Basically, training on the Avenue is probably more effort than it's worth. You can rank up reeeeeally slowly even if you don't communicate with anybody, because 3 NPCs per day (I think..) will come shopping at the Avenue, but they might not want the shops that you want to rank up, plus they give less popularity points than real people and the gaps between the later ranks are huge. If you want a little more convenience in your training, though, I think my advice would be:

- Get two Rank 10 Salons and two Rank 7 Marts (one from Black/2 and one from White/2) if it's EVing you're after. Get the Mart to Rank 10 if the thought of buying Max Revives excites you.
- Get a Rank 10 Café if you want levels.
- Don't bother with the Dojo.
- Get Dream World access if you want the type super-effective berries. Otherwise, get a Rank 8 Florist and trade with other people for the others (otherwise you need a Florist from all four games to get every Berry).

As for the Nursery, Raffle and Antiques shops, I've yet to form opinions of them but the Raffle and Antiques are pretty subjective anyway. Nursery I'll look into when I get to that point of the game.

See below the divide for reasoning, or just ignore it if you're not interested.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Reasoning

The Dojo will always charge 15000 per level, and there is no monetary point ranking it up for this purpose - there isn't a discount at the higher ranks, you can just do more levels at once. If you're planning on ranking up, the Café quickly becomes the better option for levels because at Rank 3 they will charge 14000 per level and, if you get the Café all the way to Rank 10, you can do 8 levels at once for only 12000 per level. The Café doesn't offer level ups til Rank 2, though, while the Dojo offers them instantly so if you can't be bothered with all that just stick a Dojo or two on your Avenue and be done. Remember that you can only buy from each shop once per day, too, so I guess if you only want to do a little ranking up it might be better to have a bunch of Rank 4 Dojos (at this point they offer 2 levels at a time in each shop) because the Café doesn't offer multiple levels until Rank 8.

The Dojo, however, is cheaper for EVs than the Café. EVing with the shops is faffy because you HAVE to rank things up and often have multiple shops in order to train in every stat. At the start, the Salon will only reduce HP or Speed (in Black2 and White 2 respectively); the Café will similarly only increase HP or Speed; and the Dojo will only train SpDef & Speed (B2) or HP & Attack (W2), though if you communicate with someone from Black or White you can get Dojos initially training Def & SpAtk or SpAtk & SpDef respectively. Even if you rank it all the way up, you can't get every stat from one Dojo.

This means that if you manage to open Dojos from Black, Black 2 and White 2, you can train in every stat.. at a rate of 4 EVs per day per shop. And it's pretty costly, at 1500 per EV. If you're EV training in the wild you're probably getting at least 10 EVs per battle, so every battle against a Lillipup costs you 15000 to train by shop (not to mention that, unless you rank up, you can't even do this all at once..).

Honestly, I think EVing with the shops is a massive waste of time unless you rank them up all the way AND have squillions of moneys. A Café can only give you a maximum of 48 EVs in a stat per day, but at least you can get all the stats trainable without other games; if you rank it up to Rank 9 the Dojo can give you 64 EVs per stat, but of course you have to have the Dojo owner come from the right game for your stat! Assuming you do, it's still gonna require your entire Avenue to be Dojos to fully EV a Pokémon in a day, and even then you can only do it sloppily as the maximum number of EVs you'll ever want in a stat, 252, doesn't divide by 64, so if you want that precious extra HP point in the standard 252/252 spread you'll still have to do it by hand! The only real benefit I can see here is if you have a fiddly EV spread to train in and want to just knock a few battles off to make the numbers easier.

I guess the exception to this is the Mart, which sells vitamins at a discount (8330 each compared to the usual 9800). This gives you up to 100 EVs per stat at almost half the price of any other shop, plus you get 12 vitamins per batch so you can get 120 EVs per day from them! But you can get vitamins for 1BP each in the Battle Subway.. the other problem is that, while at Rank 7 you can buy vitamins for 3 stats.. you guessed it, you need a game of the other colour to get the other stats! There is another ace thing about the Mart, though: at Rank 10 you can buy Max Revives, and Ethers from Rank 4! This is shiny and new!

What the Avenue is pretty handy for is reducing EVs. Before, if you didn't have Dream World access, you were pretty stuck if you EV'd your Pokémon wrong. Now you can either use a Florist or a Salon to do this, at a consistent rate of 80 per EV removed. The Florist lets you buy Pomeg berries and friends, which decrease EVs in increments of 10, along with other useful battle berries like Choples. However - of course - the catch is that you need Florist from multiple games to get the berries for every stat! You can also only get 4 berries per day from each Florist, so only 40 EVs can be removed per day. The Salon only removes larger chunks of EVs (50, 100 or All), and you can only remove the larger increments on certain stats in each game - however, by Rank 7 you can remove 50 EVs from any stat, and tbh if you're just tweaking it then that's usually all you need.

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Offline Enigma

• "This ice, this sentient ice...I'll find its source and destroy it."
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • The ice is nice.
    • View Profile
Re: Join Avenue - Levels and EV Training
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 22:48 »
This is incredibly helpful, thanks Kay! I was wasting a lot of my NPC visits on working up the Dojo - I'll try and get a Cafe!

Ta! ^^

Offline Turner

• Wake up and smell the Oran Berries
  • Sentret Fan
  • Don't look behind that poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:10 »
Amazing post, I just found out about Join avenue just last night, I thought it was some kind of wireless union room type thing at first...I didn't realize it was practically a Pokemall simulator minigame inside B/W2...very impressive. I was shocked that so much attention to EVs etc. was there too, it's nice to see that they can really cater to the game mechanic fans too.

Very useful post...Masuda said he wants to encourage people to trade physically more with their DS's...I guess he is addressing the Pokenerds and people who slave over EVs..

Offline Stmacl

• A force so evil that it wears a suit!!
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • So what are you gonna do... DEWOTT?!
    • View Profile
    • My blog the woes of a pokemon nerd
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 12:57 »
You can get people joining through GTS. In fact in Japan they've already got a process.

If you look on the GTS there is a lot of trades for Magnemites. This is what they're doing. Put a Magnemite on the GTS asking for a Magnemite. When you recieve the Magnemite Join Avenue will get a new person walking down it. Then put that Magnemite up on the GTS. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. That's what Japan has been doing, and I think a lot of other people now.

No-one cared when I made a Nuke launcher, but no-one really agreed with my nuke machine gun...

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • One among the Fence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 13:15 »
^ That's ace if that's really a thing! I'll try that, thanks =]

Yeah GTS trading is the easiest way to get people to visit your Avenue if you don't know many players IRL, but usually trading on the GTS is awful because everyone asks for lv 9 and under Reshirams/Zekroms/Dewotts or wants an Arceus for their Pidove x__x it took me almost an hour yesterday to find a trade I could actually complete!

I'm really glad people are finding this useful! ^^ I do apologise if the "reasoning" section is a bit.. garbled! I too found it pretty interesting how much attention they're giving EVs now.

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 22:09 »
I haven't got that far into the game yet but I'll be sure to check back on this when I get there.