Author Topic: History Debates [Was President Roosevelt's 'New Deal' a success or a failure?]  (Read 7264 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Wolstenholme

So I had this idea (I'm not sure how well it will go down but really want this to catch on because I've been thinking about posting this for weeks.) - Each month I will post a new topic for a debate, the topic will be a historical question and everyone must argue their opinion.

I thought it would be fun and interesting and I'm a huge History fan (academically).

14/09/2013: This month's the debate will be: "Was President Roosevelt's 'New Deal' a success or a failure?"

Edit: Future debates will include; Slimy British Monarchs, European Dictators, The Princes in the Tower, Anglo-Scottish Relations, Modern History (1950 -), Ancient Rome/Greece & The World Wars! (I'll also throw in American History some more if there is demand for it!)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 14:38 by Wolstenholme »

quack98

I don't know a huge amount about this, but from what I gather it seems to have been rather successful, although I don't tend to like the narrow scope of 'success or failure' as it is very rare something is purely either.

Edit: got it mixed up... Deleted the bit that was wrong
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 20:52 by ディック »

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
are you trying to get puk to do your history homework/revision for you
           

Wolstenholme

Nope. This has absolutely nothing to do with my History course, I just love History loads and loads  ^.^

quack98

are you trying to get puk to do your history homework/revision for you

I had this thought too... But then I remembered she's said she loved history before xD

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
Modern history is not defined as the last sixty years... Its more from the 19th century until last night. Maybe even the 18th century. I'd class Jacobean as early modern, for example. They're pretty hazy terms, especially to an Egyptologist or ancient historian. Just saying....
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

Wolstenholme

I was defining it as that particular part of Modern History...

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
This is turning into a debate of what part of history it's from.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Wolstenholme

This is not how imagined this would go down   v_v

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Well, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
Sure, it boosted morale but it was hardly going to impact the economy particularly in the long term. Industrialisation following the beginning of WW2 is to thank for that.

That's what I was told.

quack98

I find its hard to determine its success, mainly because the Second World War kind of got in the way a bit...

Wolstenholme

I had to do this big long essay on it way back in year 10...we were supposed to determine whether it was the New Deal or WW2 that got them out of the Great Depression - The thing is, a lot of the terms of the New Deal weren't all that helpful whereas World War 2 got loads of the factories to re open, thus creating millions of jobs & fueling their economy.

quack98

The New Deal didn't factor in the possibility of a war, as is clear by its blatant lack of budget, so I think it would have been quite successful, but the WW deteriorated its need.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
Personally the fact that I am alive right now may or may not be somewhat of a splash damage result of the New Deal

Signature disabled. Please read the rules!