Author Topic: Mega Latios, mixed bulky Dragon Dance set  (Read 3497 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
Mega Latios, mixed bulky Dragon Dance set
« on: December 03, 2014, 22:59 »
Latios (M) @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt

First I will compare the damage output of Mega Latios with Life Orb Latios on the physical side:

252+ Atk Mega Latios Dragon Claw vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 264-312 (79.2 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Latios Dragon Claw vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 265-315 (79.5 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The Life Orb version does 1 - 3 more points of damage, which is negligible, and by using the Mega you gain the advantage of losing Life Orb recoil, +20 to base Defense and +10 to base Special Defense. Combined with the HP EVs, this should make Mega Latios significantly bulkier to help it set up Dragon Dances.

Thunderbolt is mainly there for Slowbro and Skarmory, which 2HKOs both with no investment. Mega Slowbro has the same Sp. Def, so the calculation is the same.

0 SpA Mega Latios Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 234-276 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Mega Latios Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 260-308 (77.8 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

176 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed 252 Speed neutral nature base 100s before Dragon Dance, and with 80 HP EVs it ends up with 321 HP, an odd number which will supposedly help with Stealth Rock damage.

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Latios, mixed bulky Dragon Dance set
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 16:59 »
Finally someone who tries to do something with Mega Latios (besides me)! I have always thought it would be a proper mixed attacker, but I have never found anyone willing to use/discuss about it, since there are many other options that are apparently better. Tell me, why does Latios want to outspeed neutral base 100 Speed Pokémon? What defensive feats does it achieve with 321 HP? And yes, I would go with Thunderbolt as well; just look at Mega Ampharos and Zekrom, for example.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 17:02 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Raphetty

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 17:30 »
Tell me, why does Latios want to outspeed neutral base 100 Speed Pokémon?

Because I was reading something on Smogon about Mega Metagross which has the same speed tier, but uses Rock Polish or Agility as its speed boosting move on one of its sets. In any case, it seems like a good place to start, and you want to be able to outspeed some scarfers after a Dragon Dance or 2.

What defensive feats does it achieve with 321 HP? And yes, I would go with Thunderbolt as well; just look at Mega Ampharos and Zekrom, for example.

Not going max speed allows it to use max Attack with a positive nature as well as increasing the bulk to help set up Dragon Dance. I was also thinking about using a Hasty nature with max Speed and Attack investment, since Latios forces enough switches that it can usually get a free Dragon Dance anyway. Plus that would make it not so reliant on using Dragon Dance, speed-wise. I think it needs all the Attack it can get though. Mega Charizard X outclasses it offensively, but Latios has the surprise factor since it's using a non-standard set.

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 17:54 »
But you are forgetting that Mamoswine andWeavile are physical attackers with Ice Shard:

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 80 HP / 0- Def Mega Latios: 179-213 (55.7 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Might as well go Naive/Naughty, I find it more useful. Not to say you are reducing its buffed stat. Not to say Choice Scarf Terrakion would murder you.

Anything else, people?
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Raphetty

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 02:18 »
I just discovered Latios can use Outrage via move tutor, maybe worth consideration since its Dragon Claw is a bit lacking in power.