(1/6) > >>

f3raligatr:
"I'm fairly certain YOLO is just Carpe Diem for stupid people."
~Jack Black

Discuss!

Hicky:
Robin Williams' message is the same nonetheless

OVOxo:
Getting annoyed by the phrase is worse than the phrase itself and it can be damn entertaining which is why I say it. In thins modern generation where hashtags are dominant over entertainment (thanks to the rise and impact of social media) a lot of things trend which seem immature but to get annoyed over it is actually ridiculous.

So I'm gonna keep on posting #yolo because #yolo is the motto~

f3raligatr:
If it is one of the best examples of the modern generation where social media has become so powerful, then I really do worry about our generation. Not.. not because it's a silly little thing, but it's about actually thinking about what it means, and living by it.

You know.. if somebody tells me "you only live once", "carpe diem", that doesn't particularly mean anything to me unless you actually live by that mentality every single day, which, good god, you should be doing to an extent anyway. In a way, it's comparable to those who get song lyrics tattoo'd on their bodies because it seems like 'the cool thing to do', mark their body with something that makes them look deep and thoughtful when they're just a slave for the trend as the next person and it's just a recycled meaning, nothing unique or really genuine about it.

I don't think it's the phrase that people get annoyed by, it's the lack of sincerity behind it, the inappropriateness of it's use at times too. Like.. I'm beginning to do more and more things out of the ordinary (or at least I aspire to) because I want to have a life I can look back on and say "I had fun", not.. "lolz, got a girl preggers, #yolo", which is more stupidity and cast-calling for the Jeremy Kyle show.. it just seems to be thrown around ridiculous amounts without any substance.. which I'm beginning to find more and more frequent in a lot of youth.

Maybe it's.. maybe it's just me. Hm.

Or that we're just seeing a well marketting prequel to the James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"..

Hicky:

--- Quote from: Gurren Lagann on August 23, 2012, 13:40 ---Getting annoyed by the phrase is worse than the phrase itself and it can be damn entertaining which is why I say it. In thins modern generation where hashtags are dominant over entertainment (thanks to the rise and impact of social media) a lot of things trend which seem immature but to get annoyed over it is actually ridiculous.

So I'm gonna keep on posting #yolo because #yolo is the motto~

--- End quote ---
You should be the psychological case study of intelligent conformity

--- Quote from: Renzokuken™ on August 23, 2012, 16:15 ---If it is one of the best examples of the modern generation where social media has become so powerful, then I really do worry about our generation. Not.. not because it's a silly little thing, but it's about actually thinking about what it means, and living by it.

You know.. if somebody tells me "you only live once", "carpe diem", that doesn't particularly mean anything to me unless you actually live by that mentality every single day, which, good god, you should be doing to an extent anyway. In a way, it's comparable to those who get song lyrics tattoo'd on their bodies because it seems like 'the cool thing to do', mark their body with something that makes them look deep and thoughtful when they're just a slave for the trend as the next person and it's just a recycled meaning, nothing unique or really genuine about it.

I don't think it's the phrase that people get annoyed by, it's the lack of sincerity behind it, the inappropriateness of it's use at times too. Like.. I'm beginning to do more and more things out of the ordinary (or at least I aspire to) because I want to have a life I can look back on and say "I had fun", not.. "lolz, got a girl preggers, #yolo", which is more stupidity and cast-calling for the Jeremy Kyle show.. it just seems to be thrown around ridiculous amounts without any substance.. which I'm beginning to find more and more frequent in a lot of youth.

Maybe it's.. maybe it's just me. Hm.

Or that we're just seeing a well marketting prequel to the James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"..

--- End quote ---
I feel like as a generation we're trapped in a vortex of social media and we've lost track of what's really important too, but what can you do. There's still obvious traces of humanity in all of us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version