Misc > Debate

US Election Results (Late)

<< < (14/14)

The Hooded Trainer:
To throw in my argument against all this "dont call people racist" thing, making that point really only covers the actual racists. Its racist right wingers adopting a left wing tactic and twisting it to help them: youve been arguing that we need to treat everyone with respect and its not okay to judge character based on skin colour or gender or sexuality or whatever, so now im saying its also not okay to judge character based on "opinions" or "political stances" either. And the ground of what actually counts as a racist opinion is quickly shrinking, thanks to this. So you get:

-its not racist to say black people are more likely to commit crimes, thats just a fact
-its not racist to say we need to stop the refugees coming into our country, thats just good sense
-its not racist to say islam is at its heart awful and violent and that all muslims are dangerous, thats statistically accurate, and besides, islam isnt a race anyway so how could it be racist?

Do people not realise this is where evil spreads from? Its not like hitler came out and said, "lets kill all the jews, i dont like them because im prejudiced against them and am a massive racist". He hid his bigotry under thick layers of nonsensical but, at the time and to the people who followed him, reasonable sounding arguments.

I dont know if that made any sense but basically, what im saying is that, while we shouldnt throw the race card around willy nilly, its more important to ensure that we dont let racists define the idea of racism.

Lord Raven:

--- Quote from: SirBlaziken on April 05, 2017, 19:49 ---I'll just address both parts in one quote.

Part 1: I agree the guy is more at fault. Though accusing him is a really crappy thing to do and he may not have thought of it before being accused, should he have honestly done it? I could be accused of shooting some random guy on the street and not have, then go and shoot someone. That doesn't mean i'm not at fault because 'I didn't have the thought until you accused me'. So I agree wholeheartedly here

Part 2: Faith in humanity TEMPORARILY restored.

--- End quote ---

His argument hinges on playing to emotions that people are innocent until proven guilty, and yet it forgets the part where people are called racist because they're proven guilty of such a thing. He's also making the point that people are too sensitive in his own veiled way, even though racism these days is more about dogwhistles, even though much of it is blatant and combative even still.

lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes:
while i dunno why people even entertained laprabi's weirdly specific ">accuse le gf of cheating >be le epic cucked by gf >mfw" thought experiment, on what side do you reckon steve bannon stood regarding the very recent Bomb Strikes on syria and whether that played into his sudden loss of job

personally i wanted trump to make the idiotic mistake of trying to invade iran instead cos that would have been his operation barbarossa (iran is strategic suicide to invade) but fingers crossed maybe syria will be his undoing instead. you would have thought both russia and the usa would have learned about quagmire invasions in the middle east in the last 20 odd years but oh well,

Captain Jigglypuff:
I'm having a schadenfreude high right now watching the idiot's voters and supporters realizing the horrible mistake they made of letting a crazy sexist racist egotistical loudmouth become President. I'll enjoy looking at their faces as they walk down the street thinking, "Good lord, what have I done?!" and laughing silently at them. And the best part is that they can't blame me because I didn't vote for the guy! But I also refuse to protest because I know that is a lost cause because it won't change a thing and I know when I have lost and accept it.

Lord Raven:

--- Quote from: Captain Jigglypuff on April 07, 2017, 14:15 ---I'm having a schadenfreude high right now watching the idiot's voters and supporters realizing the horrible mistake they made of letting a crazy sexist racist egotistical loudmouth become President. I'll enjoy looking at their faces as they walk down the street thinking, "Good lord, what have I done?!" and laughing silently at them. And the best part is that they can't blame me because I didn't vote for the guy! But I also refuse to protest because I know that is a lost cause because it won't change a thing and I know when I have lost and accept it.

--- End quote ---
Protests are making the Republicans feel helpless. They pulled the healthcare bill, they realize now they don't drive the debate.

--- Quote from: Lord Thistlewick Flanders on April 07, 2017, 13:07 ---while i dunno why people even entertained laprabi's weirdly specific ">accuse le gf of cheating >be le epic cucked by gf >mfw" thought experiment, on what side do you reckon steve bannon stood regarding the very recent Bomb Strikes on syria and whether that played into his sudden loss of job
--- End quote ---
Steve Bannon stood on his own side and possibly told him to do the strike. At any rate, the point isn't to convince him, that was never the point of debate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version