Misc > Debate

US Election Results (Late)

<< < (12/14) > >>

Lord Raven:
Oh I am absolutely sick to my stomach about the Trump presidency and everything to come.

I've heard accounts of a number of people that really voted for him and thinking he was full of crap... and they're also completely sick now that reality is coming down hard on them.

lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes:
look on the bright side at least the dystopian cyberpunk/underground satire scenes are gonna enter another Golden Age and at least we'll have some laffs to help us along this difficult age if nothing else. things have been p boring lately and maybe the centre/centre-left/left will regroup and rethink now the Bad Guys won this time round

(spoiler: wishful thinking, maybe 2020 is the death of neoliberalism for the democrat party as a Platform and as a general Campaign Ground for anything left of the conservative right????????????? we can only hope)

edit: i have memory problems so if i posted this earlier on (not sure) then i do apologise

Shaymin:

--- Quote from: Lord Raven on January 25, 2017, 04:45 ---Oh I am absolutely sick to my stomach about the Trump presidency and everything to come.

I've heard accounts of a number of people that really voted for him and thinking he was full of crap... and they're also completely sick now that reality is coming down hard on them.

--- End quote ---

this + people after brexit saying "weeehh i only voted leave as a joke" are why the vast majority of people should just not be allowed to vote

like if you're going to vote for something as a joke... why not go for the throwaway, not the republican candidate? why not write in harambe. why not just punch yourself in the face

Laprabi:

--- Quote from: Shaymin on January 25, 2017, 18:10 ---this + people after brexit saying "weeehh i only voted leave as a joke" are why the vast majority of people should just not be allowed to vote
--- End quote ---

Heh. I agree but for different reasons. Although the fundamental problem with democracy is how it allows the ignorant masses to outvote the so-called 'intelligent' classes. Yet believe it or not those who go to universities and consider themselves intelligent are also the most likely to be propagandized. The average citizen only cares about the survival of themselves and their family because it's most important to them.

Although it's kinda funny seeing everyone call Trump a 'fascist'. It's almost as if 'fascist' has become a term to describe people you don't like. Oh wait, it has;

--- Quote ---Since the end of World War II in 1945, few parties have openly described themselves as fascist, and the term is instead now usually used pejoratively by political opponents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism
--- End quote ---

Y'all might not like to hear this, but all this name calling (fascist, racist, bigot, misogynist, etc, etc.) is why Trump got elected in the first place; people were sick of being called things they obviously weren't just because they disagree with the 'flavour of the month', whatever that may be. Now the solution is to continue calling people racists, fascists, bigots, etc? I hope you've started to like Trump because if you keep doing that, he'll only get re-elected in 2020. What you reap is what you sow.

Lord Raven:

--- Quote ---Heh. I agree but for different reasons. Although the fundamental problem with democracy is how it allows the ignorant masses to outvote the so-called 'intelligent' classes. Yet believe it or not those who go to universities and consider themselves intelligent are also the most likely to be propagandized. The average citizen only cares about the survival of themselves and their family because it's most important to them.
--- End quote ---
[citation needed]

fyi the average person who goes to university also cares about stuff like that in the near future - but how are they more likely to be propagandized? Learning how to properly analyze statistics and facts is propaganda now?

--- Quote from: Laprabi on April 04, 2017, 16:11 ---Although it's kinda funny seeing everyone call Trump a 'fascist'. It's almost as if 'fascist' has become a term to describe people you don't like. Oh wait, it has;
--- End quote ---
He gained power through nationalism and has authoritarian tendencies. This is pretty much textbook fascist; he is very Mussolini like as well. He's just ineffective.

--- Quote ---Fascism /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism[1][2] that came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe.
--- End quote ---

The first sentence.

--- Quote ---Y'all might not like to hear this, but all this name calling (fascist, racist, bigot, misogynist, etc, etc.) is why Trump got elected in the first place; people were sick of being called things they obviously weren't just because they disagree with the 'flavour of the month', whatever that may be.
--- End quote ---
So they elected a racist/bigot/fascist/misogynist to prove them right? I don't understand this line of reasoning. Trump got elected because he promised coal jobs back throughout the rust belt, and to some he promised to tear down the establishment (which is...  exactly what he's pandering to). Otherwise, he made a bunch of lies up, talked really loud, etc so he got elected. Also, party lines are generally kept the same, so Republicans only voted him in cause he had an R next to his name.

A very small minority of people were pissed about being called bigots, and even then they decided to vote to prove themselves right. This is not why Trump won.

--- Quote ---Now the solution is to continue calling people racists, fascists, bigots, etc? I hope you've started to like Trump because if you keep doing that, he'll only get re-elected in 2020. What you reap is what you sow.
--- End quote ---
Ah, so you're saying I shouldn't call people as they are? Because that hurts their feelings too much?

Your general point is correct, it's not healthy to just call someone a bigot, but you're arguing a point that is pretty vague and untrue and pretty much had overall very little to do with the election. The voter turnout was horrible as well (less than half of the eligible voters voted this past election, and there's plenty of voter suppression and there's plenty of issues with our two party system). As it stands, Trump's 35% approval rating and the constant failures of the Republican Party to do anything correct more or less indicates a shift the other way in 2020, not calling a bunch of people bigots for being bigots.

If you're arguing against an "SJW pro-politically correct" that probably hates Trump, you're arguing against a boogeyman that's very little in number and has zero influence on the electorate. I'm not sure what your point is here, but you're not really making a coherent point, because Trump seriously only won due to the rust belt and voting along party lines. He lost the popular vote by 3 million.

I like how you didn't even argue about the fake news stuff; you just came in and went on a tirade.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version