Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 105225 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #840 on: September 21, 2014, 17:07 »
Been plowing through the Divergent series, on Allegiant at the moment. I really enjoyed Divergent, Insurgent was good but not fantastic and Allegiant is so far...not that good but not bad.

Then after this it's Looking For Alaska by John Green and then back to TMI.

Offline MOP

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 28, 2014, 22:31 »
"Quality Management in the Imaging Sciences"

Such fun!

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 01, 2014, 02:27 »
Reading the Dragonlance: The New Adventures series again. It's really obscure, but if you're heavily into stereotypical fantasy (read my lips, wizards, elves, minotaurs, kingdoms, dragons and the like), it's pretty good.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 03, 2014, 17:57 »
City of Fallen Angels - Cassandra Clare

Loving it. Definitely better than the Divergent series, I'd say. And as it is mandatory for English Lit I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale. I kid you not, it is hard to trawl through. I'm fine that it is a feminist novel but oh man it's not any good.

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 09, 2015, 01:05 »
Star Maker by william olaf stapledon 

nothing like 1930s science fiction ey 

the concept is an interesting one- i mean it's basically an excuse for Elaborate Worldbuilding in terms of alien planets and lifeforms and cultures and i am such a sucker for that kind of thing. 
there's also a LOT of philosophical/spiritual/hypothetical discussion though, the kind that can go on for pages and pages. 

like five pages describing a group of bodyless explorers' consciousnesses all merged together and going over the subtleties of "we" compared to "i" in terms of describing oneself as part of a melting pot of different beings' experiences and knowledges and using that collective to attain higher planes of mental acuty but still being aware of one's own self... 
stuff like that, and at times i'm sitting reading it with a load of question marks floating through the back of my mind all with the magic roundabout music playing in the distance. 
i'm at a bit like that now where he's talking about intelligent life on planets enduring the struggle of ending violence and power grabs in exchange for altruism and self-love, to avoid destruction and achieve a utopia (but also risking a mental addiction to curiosity and telepathic spiritual travel of the universe which leaves their bodies to stagnate and die??? or something???) and um well this is a good bit to read at night tbh, it helps me to drift off. 

though reading makes me tired anyway, blame years and years of habitually reading in bed before i sleep and having the pavlovian response to it, SIGHS. 

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #845 on: January 09, 2015, 02:58 »
Not usually much of a book... read... guy myself, but I was lent the first book in the Vampire Hunter D series a while ago and have finally taken the plunge. That said, lots of exposition in the prose and sudden rants coming from the characters themselves, which comes across as jarring and/or unintentionally hilarious, depending on what's said when.

If the rest of the books are like this, I might just stop after reading this one. In the middle of Chapter 4 at the moment, so I hope it at least picks up the pace, if it can't meet or exceed my expectations.

Offline The name master

• The name rater's rival!
  • Joeno Fan
  • I rate your nicknames (unofficially)
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 12, 2015, 17:51 »
Waiting for book 13 of how to train your dragon to come out.
Thanks to Inferna for one of the many reasons why I love Dragonite!

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 12, 2015, 18:44 »
Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

It's really easy to read :-)
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 12, 2015, 19:08 »
 The Bees by Laline Paull.

It's really satisfying to read because it's so ridiculous so I've only read the first chapter.

It's like tripping on honey. It's like 40K with bees. It's like walking in on your parents and realising they're bees.

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #849 on: November 12, 2015, 20:43 »
I have a book on Maps that I'm flicking through in my spare time. Learning about a couple at a time :D
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 13, 2015, 00:59 »
the odyssey by homer. it's for school but im enjoying it is hEy!

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #851 on: November 13, 2015, 06:46 »
The Odyssey is pretty good, but I prefer The Iliad! Except book 2, because the catalogue of ships is almost pointless, and likely a later addition to the poem
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #852 on: January 05, 2016, 00:36 »
im supposed to be reading hunger games... the first book... but i just cant bring myself to start.

back to fanfiction.

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 05, 2016, 01:42 »
I find it so hard to read while I have something I'm writing on the go. I love words but sometimes there are too many words ygm? Anyway, it's testimony to the fact that I'm not doing my creative piece coursework that I'm on my third book since Christmas lol.

I'm currently reading Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh which is... Interesting. I'm so glad it's a humorous book because if I wasn't reading about Renton falling into a pool of urine while simultaneously his trousers are getting covered in crap in the men's toilets of a betting shop I don't think I'd be able to cope with having to read everything written in Scottish eye-dialect.

I've also read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sàenz (which is a really good contemporary YA feat non-straight protags, ethnic cast & is still painfully realistic and well-written rather than - as some books featuring a representational cast do - just leaving it to the cast/representation to carry the entire novel.

I read Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell too, it's for like 9 year olds but it's better written than most of the stuff you find in the general section. The characters are also the absolute best and everything about it is really vivid and exciting.

Anyway that's me.
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE

Offline Sizacu

• Sentret Fan
  • hello everyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 01, 2016, 22:40 »
Rather overdue update from my last post:
1. Love the Keys to the Kingdom Series.
2. Finished both The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments series. Also read The Bane Chronicles.
3. Read some maths and physics books for wider reading

Now I'm reading this book about the world's 'baddest gangsters' (the title makes me cringe but the introduction to these people makes it okay) and honestly, can't read more than one person/group a day. It's a lot to take in for me ): After that, will probably go back to my cryptography books.

Captivating Radiant Elegant Serene Seraphic Enchanting Lovely Immortal Adorable

Are you interested in spriting, or improving it?