Misc > Debate

Abortion

<< < (2/6) > >>

Lord Raven:

--- Quote from: Utack and Swampy on October 14, 2011, 05:00 ---The problem basically becomes, that you're making the choice to end a life, and on what authority do you have to make such a huge decision?
--- End quote ---
A choice that everyone views on a subjective ground.  That is the reason why it should be legalized; those who are opposed to abortions should not get them and those that are contemplating getting one shouldn't abstain from doing so if they believe that a living organism, while it has the ability to blossom into a full grown human being, is also a parasite in its current state.

Besides, in getting the abortion they could prevent the child from growing up in a bad environment.  That way the couple can settle down later and have other children in their lives- canceling out the loss of a life, essentially, because I doubt they'd have the means to have more than a child or even a couple children (if they're lucky) after the first one.

Trekkie WhoLocked Fangirl!:
Was studying this in school, what I found disturbing about abortion is the surgical techniques used, there is a video 'the silent scream' and it is a surgical abortion through an ultrasound scan.
This swayed me against abortion due to the fact that the baby or 'foetus' seemed to be screaming and in pain. It was horrific to watch.
On the other hand, medical abortions are not as stressful on the mother and it is likely to be less stressful to the unborn child.

I do not think this makes abortion 'right' as such. I truly think it is an issue that some women don't think through.
I also feel it should be determined by circumstances, such as rape.
I do not think age is a contributing factor as if you get pregnant at 15 16 17 or whatever and you didn't want a child (well I don't need to move into the biology of it all)

My biggest thought on abortion is one that alot of woman disagree with, I feel that both the mother and father should have a say in wether the abortion should take place.
Yes the mother should get the final say in the matter as it is her body but by law the father has no say in the future of his unborn child.
Is it not his baby to?
Should he not have the right in the important decision of what is to happen his child? 

Inferna:
I agree with abortion but i think the limit of when abortions are allowed to take to place should be lowered.
The current limit in the uk is 24 weeks and in some rare cases babies have been born as early as 21 weeks and have survived. If i was born a week earlier than what i was, i would've been classed as an abortion.
Some women may not get the more detailed scan at around 18 - 22 weeks until 22 weeks, which leaves only two weeks to decide - if the baby will be born with a genetic or an illness that reduces quality of life - if they should keep it or not.
The limit of viability in the uk - when babies are considered to have a chance at survival (however slim) - is 23 weeks. If babies can survive then, then why are they being aborted at such a late stage?
Just my thoughts~

Clairefable:

--- Quote from: I'm the Angels girl on October 14, 2011, 07:58 ---Should he not have the right in the important decision of what is to happen his child?

--- End quote ---

Until men can go though pregnancy/labour, be expected to give up work/uni/college/school, or be expected to be the child's primary carer 24/7, then I don't really see why other than as a matter of courtesy. What's to stop the father begging and pleading with the mother to change her mind, only to decide that they don't want a baby after all and take off, leaving the mother with a child they never wanted in the first place? Sorry gents, but it is how it is. I think it'd be a pretty dick move NOT to tell the guy involved, but I don't think there's an obligation to do so.

What would be implications if abortion were to be outlawed again? Would anyone really want to see the return of DIY abortions? Think of all the girls/women that would end put putting themselves in hospital or killing themselves trying to make themselves miscarry, as happened in the past. Perhaps this sounds rather clinical, and maybe it is, but I don't ever think the foetus (I refuse to use emotive words like "baby" or "child"; let's call it what it is people) should take priority over the life of the mother.

oh man I was staying away from this topic wasn't I

Ledyba:
a woman has the right to do with her body in the base line. this is both aborting and keeping a baby, remember its possible to pressure a woman to have abortion he doesn't  want.

so yeh i'm classic pro-choice

although depending on the cirumtances i do think the partner in the relationship does deserve at least knowledge and a chance to talk this over and perhaps come to another soulation that they are both happy with.  i don't think anything like it should be legistaized because I have said its all about circumstance, i do however believe the father should have some input, it is a mother's baby and all, but at the same time it's still the fathers, but ultimately and rightly the mother should have the final say - in both keeping and aborting.

i think however this issue is far more important than we can consider it for, it goes beyond the realms of a traffic cone.

just a important question to anti-abortion - would your position change if there was a catapult  involved in anyway?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version