General Category > Updates

PKMN.NET and LGBTQ

<< < (3/4) > >>

Turner:
I think a lot of people also forget there's been a lot of progress made in the past few years with regards to tolerance to LGBTQ, I've never had a problem with it but I remember when I was in my early years of school it definitely wasn't as accepted as it is now. When I joined this place almost 8 years ago I didn't know anyone who claimed to be gay in real life and it wasn't until I went on the IRC that I'd ever interacted with people who were open and proud about it.

That's not to say I would have been some kind of gay basher without it (Kind of hard to be where I live), but I definitely think the small, casual amounts of exposure on this site made me much more aware of the fact and I'm sure there are other members who are in a similar position, whether they realise it or not.

Mulholland:
I know it's weird that Joeno included a Chelsea Handler quote but I insisted he did because to me it summed everything up.

Whilst Bulbagarden had good intentions in many ways it just feels patronising. If this site made a news item saying we are now taking a pro-black or pro-jewish stance it would just look terrible...

f3raligatr:

--- Quote from: Joeno on June 12, 2012, 07:54 ---The three gay admins are Typhlosion, Mulholland and myself.

Unless our secret mind control changing sexuality powers converted someone else as well. Just never had those work. We're rubbish at those things.

--- End quote ---

... You mean you've tried?

Lord Raven:

--- Quote from: Daedalus on June 12, 2012, 07:48 ---Perhaps it may be linked to us being an EU site, mind you. I understand that the US has far larger problems with such prejudice.

--- End quote ---
nope we are just a bigger country that allows the idiots to get on tv faaaaaaaaaaaaar too much

ie, i dont appreciate remarks like that about a country you don't even live in

--- Quote from: Joeno on June 12, 2012, 07:54 ---The three gay admins are Typhlosion, Mulholland and myself.

--- End quote ---
o lol, i thought like rex or rob came out of the closet or something, i would've been super blown then

Trainer Dave:

--- Quote from: Mercenary Raven on June 12, 2012, 20:17 ---nope we are just a bigger country that allows the idiots to get on tv faaaaaaaaaaaaar too much

ie, i dont appreciate remarks like that about a country you don't even live in

--- End quote ---
True, it's a larger country, and you get idiots everywhere. However, I was genuinely shocked recently to find out that North Carolina had passed legislation to outlaw same-sex unions altogether (Plus it's not the only state to do so). This comes at the same time as public opinion over here is largely moving towards legalising gay marriage. I understand that these scenarios may be isolated to certain parts of the US, but as a country on the whole it still suggests that discrimination and prejudice against the homosexual population is a problem.

i.e. I wouldn't consider my comment baseless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version