Misc > Debate

How Do You Solve A Problem Like Korea?

(1/6) > >>

Milsap:
Without carpet bombing them, that is.

Will an armed conflict be the only resolution? Or can Kim Jong Un be talked out of it?

Shaymin:
Assassinate the elite. The people of North Korea need help but they're too scared to rise up against their leaders :/

Milsap:
They won't stand up because they've been brainwashed. They're brought up believing their country is invincible, the US is the enemy of the state and their leaders are some sort of god. They have no internet, their mobile phones have the 3G and internet removed, and television/papers will only print and report things that portray the government in a positive way. There are the odd one or two who see the light and try to escape, but it's a risky mission to say the least.

Turner:
I think the US need to seriously stop provoking them and get their nose out of this for a while.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that over the course of 20th century history, the attitudes between the east and west have changed dramatically.

It sounds silly to us now in a world where we see racism as bigotry of the highest order, but there was a time when the east and the west did things very differently and that was accepted as-is.

Japan got nuked by America and then eventually had to start trade links with them to repair the damage done.
Vietnam etc. speaks largely for itself. Think American soldiers pasting Napalm over the women and children in their villages and raping them.
China has never been too trusting/trustable and has been in business talks with America as of late.
South Korea is the latest eastern economy to really spring up thanks to South Korean music, fashion and electronic exports.

I don't agree at all with how North Korea treat their people, but I think from their point of view they are scared. They have seen the entire east play into the hands of the US, mainly through brute force under the guise of 'democracy', (which is exactly why the middle east isn't too happy with America either). North Korea are not as big or powerful as China and their neighbours have recently shown to be siding with the Americans. Nobody is throwing them a rope here, they're forcing their idea of what is 'right' down North Korea's neck and North Korea is ready to vomit it back up.

Is it any wonder that their finger is on the button? The East was once imperialist, and whether we like it or not, or whether think it's a good thing or not, that was their way of life for thousands of years. From their point of view, they've seen their closest neighbours either get bombed into submission to cooperate with America or have chased the Democracy/Capitalism, which is normally controlled by America anyway. This has happened in the space of about 100 years (if that), hardly a natural organic change.

America hates North Korea, if they could move in and 'set the people free' do you really think it would still be North Korea's country? No, their government would be policed by America and the world knows it.

The whole situation is a mess; brainwashing your people is cruel and ridiculous, threatening to nuke anyone and everyone is ridiculous, but I can't help but see it slightly from their point of view. Their actions may be dumb, but it's not like they woke up one day and decided to be evil oppressive tyrants, it's cause-and-effect from a lot of 'join us or die' bullying.

I don't think anyone knows how to deal with this situation, but one thing is for sure - America needs to be removed from the equation before their big mouths cause them or some other country to be blown off the map. Stop talking smack, America. They know what they are up against, they don't need you to provoke them into doing something dumb.

Also the fact that we have Americans saying 'HA THEY CAN'T BOMB US WE HAVE A MUCH BETTER MILITARY' is getting ridiculous too, North Korea see themselves as cornered and when they are cornered they will basically have nothing left to lose and that's when they WILL send the Nukes flying. No, they won't 'beat' the Americans, but they will cause one hell of a lot of collateral damage on their way out.

Milsap:

--- Quote ---Also the fact that we have Americans saying 'HA THEY CAN'T BOMB US WE HAVE A MUCH BETTER MILITARY' is getting ridiculous too,
--- End quote ---

Exactly. I seem to remember Vietnam being a HUGE success.

--- Quote ---No, their government would be policed by America and the world knows it.
--- End quote ---

Again, I'm in agreement. The people won't vote in who they want afterwards. They'll have to vote in who AMERICA wants them to vote in. Like in Egypt- They've voted in their new Prime Minister and now America's like "Nope, can't have him, pick someone else".

--- Quote ---The whole situation is a mess; brainwashing your people is cruel and ridiculous
--- End quote ---

Americans are brought up told their country is the best in the world, they're invincible and that everyone else is just 'whatever'. They have brainwashing too, just not on the same scale.

Tl;dr- I'm actually in full agreement with you.

--- Quote ---South Korean music
--- End quote ---

On a more light hearted note- I'm actually beginning to believe that Psy is Kim Jong Un on his days off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version