Author Topic: Ridiculously Defensive Fire/Steel  (Read 5102 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MonsterMon64

Ridiculously Defensive Fire/Steel
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:20 »
So for some reason I was thinking about status effects and stuff, when I realised... Steel can't be poisoned, Fire can't be burned... Why not take full advantage of this with a defensive Pokemon? Input is more than welcome, since this is all I've figured so far:

BASE STATS
HP: 80
Attack: 60
Defense: 150
Sp. ATK: 70
Sp. DEF: 150
Speed: 70
BST 580

Abilities I was thinking of are Limber, Insomnia, and Magic Bounce. Moves I was thinking of include Recover, Rapid Spin, uh.. Will-o-Wisp, I guess? Basically I'm trying to think of something that's difficult to bog down with status while being formidable defensively. But then... all this said and done, I can't even picture what this Pokemon would look like. Can anyone think of a design or concept that'd make sense for it? Again, any input is welcome, and thank you for your time.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculously Defensive Fire/Steel
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 15:19 »
Good stats, but Toxic instead of WoW and the ability should be magic bounce.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

quack98

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 15:22 »
Although Toxic does more damage, WoW does have a very nice side effect of halving their attack, and considering a 4x weakness to EQ, halving their attack is very useful.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 23:23 »
Well, it shouldn't be taking ground type attacks period. However, to troll, its ability should be levitate.

quack98

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 23:24 »
If it can't take an Earthquake or Closexombat, it ain't going to wall much

Offline NTN

• 2010: Role Playing at its finest.
  • Mulholland Fan
  • My precious... >:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 04:56 »
WoW is better than Toxic in this case because this Pokémon is ridiculously defensive already, and even more so paired up with the opponent's halved Attack stat courtesy of WoW. The Pokémon's Defense stats are great where they are. WoW works toward the outside. It gobbles down the foe's Attack stat, which is pretty much a reflection of the ally's Defense stat, giving you a virtual Defense stat increase. Wall.

Abilities? I'd say Levitate. Obvious.

Flame Body. Its percentage isn't enough to replace Will-O-Wisp, and in general it's more risky, especially since Levitate's job is handed down to Air Balloon, if needed. It's shaky, but here is a second ability.

Magic Bounce as a Hidden Ability. It's defensive in a way, as it blows away a lot of dirt in battle.

Another ability could be Intimidate. It gives Will-O-Wisp a separate little boost, but only at the start of a battle/switch-in. It's not really one of its possible dominant abilities. It could be one of the more useless abilities every Pokémon has as opposed to its others. It could work, but not that much.

When we're really talking about it, it seems like this is a real Pokémon. Well, the details about typing and abilities is enough to get us going.

I can always sprite this if you want, if someone has a design idea. I could always think of my own. However, I am lazy at the moment.
I am your master.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 05:19 »
Magic Bounce would be too overpowered with something this defensive. If we're talking of actual plausibility, Regenerator, Flame Body, Flash Fire, Magnet Pull, or at the very best, Magic Guard, though that's even a bit of a stretch. It really depends on the design of the Pokemon, though, as it needs to make sense with what the Pokemon is based on.

As for the Will-o-Wisp vs. Toxic debate, we turn to the already existing Heatran, which utilizes... both. Both are good for different things. Toxic is great for bulky Water types while Will-o-Wisp and Lava Plume are good for physical attackers. So it's entirely dependant on what you want to deal with.
Discord - richardblaziken

MonsterMon64

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:53 »
Ah cool, lots of input since I last checked here! lemme try to summarize my thoughts...

Oddly enough, I didn't even think to give it Levitate. I was so focused on trying to make it so it can't be shut down that I didn't even think of the obvious weaknesses it has when someone goes to actually ATTACK it. That said, I'm not sure I want to give it Levitate, even if taking 4x damage from Earthquake IS kind of nasty.

@Richard: I'm glad you said something about Magic Bounce. I was worried it might be a bit too overpowered on it, but I just needed to make sure. Regenerator sounds tempting, but that brings me to the next point, and something I'm also glad you emphasized; the Pokemon's design. So far all I've thought of is a... flaming shield. It could be best friends with Honedge, but other than that I can't help but think I'm not winning points for originality here ^^;

Anyway, I'll try to think more on my own later as it comes to me, but right now I'm sort of just waking up. Thanks again for the input, guys, and I welcome any more if you have it!

quack98

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:30 »
I've just though; if you have it magic guard, wouldn't that defeat the object of fire and steel being immune to status?

If you did go for magic guard, Dark/Ghost would make more sense, or maybe Steel/Flying, that'd get quite a few resistances/immunities

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 21:45 »
Magic Guard helps against Stealth Rock and Spikes more than anything else...

But what you're trying to do is make it broken whereas I'm just trying to keep in line with some sense of realism. I don't think changing type entirely is what he wanted.

quack98

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 21:48 »
Yeah, it's more that the reasoning for the fire/steel was:

Steel can't be poisoned, Fire can't be burned... Why not take full advantage of this with a defensive Pokemon?

But magic guard would prevent these anyway, so the whole point of it being Fire/Steel would be nonexistent.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 21:51 »
But again, Magic Guard isn't for Burn or Poison. It's preventing damage from entry hazards and even Leech Seed. I'm not saying it's the perfect ability for it, but changing the type seems counter-productive to the topic.

quack98

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 21:56 »
I now it wasn't originally for that, but it still does it regardless. I do think it is one of the best abilities for a defensive 'mon, but it does eliminate the need for a fire steel typing.

Anyway, another interesting ability to try might be quick feet. It may seem odd, but then if they try to paralyse you, it would only make you faster. Not the greatest ability, but an obscure one to consider.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 02:40 »
That said, I'm not sure I want to give it Levitate, even if taking 4x damage from Earthquake IS kind of nasty.

I said as a troll ability, I wasn't serious.

Richard, once again, you're right, and magic guard could work, but I would have to make sense, like you said.

Honestly, the pokemon is already bulky enough, something like milotic could wall it to mars and back depending on the move set, along with jellicent, and many other bulky waters, that's why Toxic is a great idea to me, but it's your decision.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 11:42 »
I said as a troll ability, I wasn't serious.
I just thought I'd point out my stance, since you weren't the only one who brought it up. =P

@ディック, Quick Feet isn't worth the chance of being fully paralyzed IMO. Not to mention sleep is a much more reliable status for shutting down, well, anything. It's kind of why I thought of Insomnia for it (or maybe Vital Spirit considering the typing, since both abilities do the same thing)

Thinking about it... In terms of the design, maybe not a shield, per se, but I like the idea of a flaming warrior in heavy armor. Problem is, how does one Pokemon-ify such a concept? Though if I'm going for that, maybe switch the current Base Attack with its Base Sp.ATK? It's not going to do much attacking anyway...

Regardless, I'll try to come up with a rough design. I can't promise anything pretty, but it'd be better than nothing.

EDIT: No color scheme yet, but sheesh, this looks more like a Robot Master than a Pokemon:

I like the idea of its shields absorbing the heat around it or such and firing it at its enemies. Maybe it could learn Mirror Coat? Other possible moves are Overheat and Solar Beam, but again, it's not meant to be offensive. Though if I stick with this design, maybe Recover wouldn't make sense... augh this is much harder than I thought...

If anyone can think of anything better, please do suggest something!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:36 by MonsterMon64 »