Other Pokemon > Fake Whatever

Game Freak gets rid of abilities in Gen 7

(1/3) > >>

MonsterMon64:
Hypothetically speaking, of course. Will Slaking and Regigigas finally live up to their names? Are Mega Evolutions more redundant than before? Does your bro rise higher as a result, or slide lower? Discuss, if you'd like.

froggy25:
If they were to get rid of Abilities, they'd nerf Regigigas / Slaking.

And more importantly that would be removing one of the most interesting aspects of the game, so I highly doubt they'd remove Abilities anytime soon.

Richard and Blaziken:
Aye, in agreement with the above poster that removing abilities would be a horrible decision. Abilities can often make or break a Pokemon, and occasionally are more important than the Pokemon itself (looking at you, Politoed).

MonsterMon64:

--- Quote ---Aye, in agreement with the above poster that removing abilities would be a horrible decision. Abilities can often make or break a Pokemon, and occasionally are more important than the Pokemon itself (looking at you, Politoed).
--- End quote ---

This is actually what spurred me to make this topic. I thought to myself, "How many Pokemon are only good and/or used for their ability?" Can you really call it a good Pokemon if the ability is all it has for it? Get rid of a Pokemon's ability, and what makes or breaks it is is its stats, typing, and movepool. Talonflame and Greninja don't strike me as things people would use (as) much if they didn't have Gale Wings and Protean, respectively.

As for the point of this topic, I was just toying with the idea of what would happen if Game Freak really did decide to remove abilities altogether--and I agree, it's a pretty bad idea, especially considering how many Pokemon are built around their ability (Aegislash, to name one noteworthy 'mon) Just the same, I was hoping someone would humor me on the subject.

Richard and Blaziken:
You just need to look back to the first 2 generations, especially generation 2. The Pokemon were built specifically on stats and the best Pokemon were based on their stats and typing... which led to a generation where defensive Pokemon ruled the metagame. Games would last hundreds of turns, and no one had any fun.

As for whether or not a Pokemon with a good ability is a good Pokemon... that's up for debate, I'd think, and varies on a case-by-case basis. It would be an interesting metagame, for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version