Misc > Debate

US Election Results (Late)

<< < (2/14) > >>

SaRo|Rapidash:

--- Quote from: Shaymin on December 18, 2016, 21:16 ---the sheer fact a man didn't get the popular vote and yet still ended up in the white house is baffling to me. america needs to sort out its voting system cause the collegiate system looks like garbage

--- End quote ---

Yeah I really don't understand why it's a thing for presidential races - like you're only electing one person, unlike say UK elections where each region elects an MP, which contributes to party - here it's literally the whole country voting so may as well just be most-votes-wins? I guess it's got historical reasons or something, but from a pure fairness perspective it's kind of dumb.

Re: Trump tho, I feel like he would be a lot less scary if it weren't a republican dominated Congress too - I don't think he'll be as bad as the media makes out tho, he can't act on a lot of his extreme policy (e.g. making Mexico pay for a wall - that's just not going to happen). I think he'll be fantastic for the UK, however, in that he's already mentioned he wants to return the special relationship back to the Reagan(?)/Thatcher era. Plus given his business skills he will probably be good economically. I guess we just have to hope is questionable humanitarian policies are blocked by congress, or at least the more extreme ones.

lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes:
hes probably going to be your average centre right president and stifled by his own congress in trying to do anything cos they're all petty and selfish. and he'll probably be elected for a second term for more of the same (bush got two terms and so did reagan). or maybe he'll go all Nixon in his second term, the possibility and mental illness is there at least. 

every time he actually has to go through with his promises (see his pre-election talk with the mexican head of state re: The Wall where he was all demure and stim-induced post-manic comedown) he ends up not delivering like so many politicians anyway, so he'll end up being completely toothless, possibly. if he actually puts up The Wall and Banning All Muslims etc. he can enjoy watching unemployment spike and GDP go down cos it turns out fat racists are also lazy and dont want to do factory work or agricultural work and want high payin jobs driving monster trucks/bein bald & pathetic IT people instead and will hypocritically sponge off employment rather than do something "beneath them", so to speak. 

I could be wrong tho. if nothing else it paves the way for a landslide to the dems in 2024?????????????????? hopefully they can put forward a more appealing candidate this time

p.s. we also ended up with Thatcher 2.0 in office our side of the atlantic because our previous Leader decided to gamble the fate of our economic future for a laff, so anyone who was excited by "Thatchgen" (my "shipping" term for reagan/thatcher) better line their underwear with a good few layers of kitchen roll

p.p.s and also edit: electoral college vote is tommorow so its Not Official yet but seein how all the republicans fell in line the minute he destroyed them all its hard to be optimistic

--- Quote from: everyone ---Elections Are A Mess
--- End quote ---

welcome to the joys and wonder of FPTP where Safe Seats and Gerrymandering etc mean entire prefectures votes can mean about 0.4 of another prefectures votes. idk the generalised term for State or Town or County so im going with the weeaboo japanese option i guess

we got a single attempt to get AV in the uk (not as good as AV+ or STV) but that was quashed heavily by a tory-led and funded NO2AV campaign (remember that?) so i guess we can all enjoy the rich n crafty bein in power for another 99999999999 years i guess

Laprabi:

--- Quote from: The Hooded Trainer on December 18, 2016, 21:05 ---To really sum it up though, I think hes a poopy-head with really silly hair, and the idea of him having the nuclear codes terrifies me.
--- End quote ---

So Trump is going to start a nuclear war? Interesting. Any particular reason you think this?

--- Quote from: Shaymin on December 18, 2016, 21:16 ---the sheer fact a man didn't get the popular vote and yet still ended up in the white house is baffling to me. america needs to sort out its voting system cause the collegiate system looks like garbage

--- End quote ---

Hillary won the popular vote against Obama in '08. Guess who has been President for the past 8 years?

The reason the US has the electoral college is so that the most populous areas don't dominate US politics. If the vote was conducted simply by population, it wouldn't be representative of all areas of America and a few highly populous cities would decide the election. Does this sound fair?

--- Quote from: SapphireRobin|Omeganium on December 18, 2016, 21:31 ---Re: Trump tho, I feel like he would be a lot less scary if it weren't a republican dominated Congress too - I don't think he'll be as bad as the media makes out tho, he can't act on a lot of his extreme policy (e.g. making Mexico pay for a wall - that's just not going to happen). I think he'll be fantastic for the UK, however, in that he's already mentioned he wants to return the special relationship back to the Reagan(?)/Thatcher era. Plus given his business skills he will probably be good economically. I guess we just have to hope is questionable humanitarian policies are blocked by congress, or at least the more extreme ones.
--- End quote ---

He won't be anywhere near as bad as the media have told everyone he will be. Apart from the fact they were bought and paid for by the Clinton campaign, they spent the better part of a year demonizing Trump, throwing any journalistic integrity out the window in the process. There's a reason fewer than 10% of Americans trust MSM these days, and now they're calling any dissenting news 'Fake News'. Their backpedaling is a great source of amusement for me.

The Hooded Trainer:

--- Quote from: Laprabi on December 18, 2016, 22:38 ---So Drumpf is going to start a nuclear war? Interesting. Any particular reason you think this?

--- End quote ---

I dont remember saying that. I just think that someone who clearly has no idea how to run a country and who has a lot of issues with people of other countries should not have his hands on those codes. Whether or not hell use them is irrelevant - giving that kind of responsibility to a man like trump shows a great disregard for the safety of the country and the rest of the world.

Also if he does start nuclear war, itll be because of a mean tweet sent to one of americas enemies, probably.

--- Quote from: Laprabi on December 18, 2016, 22:38 ---
The reason the US has the electoral college is so that the most populous areas don't dominate US politics. If the vote was conducted simply by population, it wouldn't be representative of all areas of America and a few highly populous cities would decide the election. Does this sound fair?

--- End quote ---

No, thats pretty much how the uk works and its not exactly fair either, given that most of the decisions end up being made by central parts of england with scotland, wales and ireland having pretty much no say in anything whatsoever. I do feel there has to be some kind of middle ground, though. Then again, americas so huge and diverse that i honestly cant think of a fair way of collecting a vote from the whole country at once.

--- Quote from: Laprabi on December 18, 2016, 22:38 ---He won't be anywhere near as bad as the media have told everyone he will be. Apart from the fact they were bought and paid for by the Clinton campaign, they spent the better part of a year demonizing Drumpf, throwing any journalistic integrity out the window in the process. There's a reason fewer than 10% of Americans trust MSM these days, and now they're calling any dissenting news 'Fake News'. Their backpedaling is a great source of amusement for me.

--- End quote ---

Im totally with you on not trusting the media, and its almost entirely their fault that trump was elected in the first place. Well, them, the democratic party (for pushing for hillary despite all her baggage) and the republican party (for pushing for trump, obviously, although tbf the other candidates werent that much better).

On the other hand, i dont think its a good idea to underestimate how much power hell have. Like i said in my previous post, theres not going to be anything world-ending, but i do think there will be lots of small things we probably wont even notice happening. Just looking at the people hes putting into positions of power, and all the awful things they represent, gives me chills. Seriously, weve got people who believe in gay conversation therapy, people who are all for stop-and-frisk, people who dont believe in global warming, etc. At the very least, its not a great look for america.

Whatever, well see what happens over the next 4-8 years. I mean, i hope youre right and this all blows over without anything changing, but after this nightmare of a year im just not sure i have that kind of confidence or faith anymore.

SaRo|Rapidash:

--- Quote from: Laprabi on December 18, 2016, 22:38 ---The reason the US has the electoral college is so that the most populous areas don't dominate US politics. If the vote was conducted simply by population, it wouldn't be representative of all areas of America and a few highly populous cities would decide the election. Does this sound fair?

--- End quote ---

Honestly, yes it does sound fair. Why should someone have their vote count for less because they live in a more populous area? (I.e. If EC votes aren't directly proportional to.population, then denser states will have more people per vote, therefore a person has less say) Surely it is fairest to do what the majority of people want in such an election than what the largest amount of area wants? Why should the president represent more areas if those areas have less people than the ones (s)he does not represent?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version