Author Topic: Picking a game...  (Read 2896 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline DisturbedHaxorus

• Holder of all Knowledge
  • Psythor Fan
  • Stop pulling on my leash, you!
    • View Profile
Picking a game...
« on: May 09, 2014, 05:01 »
Hello,
Sort of a "new member post" here, so here goes. I haven't really played anything since generation III, and I recently decided to get back on the Poketrain; started to look into which gen 4 or 5 game to buy (I only want one right now). I need advice.
What I really want is HG or SS because I'm somewhat familiar with the mechanics/map/etc. and really love the Johto region, but those games can't get Haxorus :p
Should I go ahead and get one of them, or buy a five-gen game so I can get the awesome axe-dragon?
Basically, which of these two wants do people think is better? And no, I can't get X or Y. Don't have a 3DS.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

-"The name's Hax...DisHax."

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: Picking a game...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 05:14 »
HGSS were fantastic games, even coming from someone that didn't like GSC, so I'd highly recommend them. I'd personally suggest avoiding Diamond, Pearl and Platinum... I find them to be the worst games in the series. B/W/B2/W2 were good too though, so it really comes down to whether you want a new experience  or a familiar one with new things added.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 05:39 »
HGSS were fantastic games, even coming from someone that didn't like GSC, so I'd highly recommend them. I'd personally suggest avoiding Diamond, Pearl and Platinum... I find them to be the worst games in the series. B/W/B2/W2 were good too though, so it really comes down to whether you want a new experience  or a familiar one with new things added.

I beg to disagree with those. Fourth Generation is my personal favourite generation. If most of the users around hate it is because of Chimchar.

Both generations have already separation between physical and special hits no matter the type. If you are worried because of Giga Drain's poor power or due to the fact N will turn everyone into a hippie, go with White or White 2. Otherwise, I would still recommend HG or SS because of their features (also, LEGENDARIES EVERYWHERE), whereas Sinnoh ones are less... agile in that aspect, and the nostalgia effect plays a big role as well.
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 06:40 »
I hate DPPt for many more reasons than Chimchar, I'm not that shallow. I find them to be boring, awful games. I'm sure some agree, and others disagree, but Chimchar isn't the reason.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 07:37 »
Yeah I agree with Richard, 4th gen was probably my least favourite gen too. If you were to get a 4th gen game then get platinum. Everything is 'quicker' gameplay wise, there's more pokemon etc.
Hgss is amazing, probably my favourite game in the series actually!
The decision about b/w or b/w2 just comes down to if you want non 5th gen pokemon, a larger map and a better story. B/w are good games, they have that sense of newness so b/w2 just improves that.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 07:43 »
I'd suggest HGSS too, it's got the most in imo.

DPPt will make you want to kill yourself because most generations fill caves with Zubats, but this one has a mountain full of Bronzor/Bronzong which are actually bulky xD

BW is a little.... Lacking. Like after you finish the main story there's very little to do, and in the main story only gen V pokemon are available

BW2 is okay, but I wouldn't say it's better than HGSS, and it's probably a little more expensive for what it matters.

HGSS has 16 gyms instead of 8, 2 regions, Lance (....yes, that is a reason) & A pretty hard boss battle in Red, who has slightly overlevelled mon
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 15:42 »
Man why are you all hating so hard on DPPT, the plot (especially Platinum's plot) was excellent, the music in general was very good...and we all know how hard Cynthia was *glares at Garchomp*

I would most definitely say HGSS, they were very good, solid remakes of GSC. They retained the Suicune plot with Eusine and such, which was a nice touch. That, and post-E4, there is a load of things to do. It's still a very good choice to play, but do be wary that the Pokemon are poorly-levelled throughout Johto, which can make it tricky to start in Kanto and to train up for Red without E4 grinding. A Scizor will help loads against Red though :P

BW was a nice refresher, and the Team Plasma plot is a newer take on villains in Pokemon. BW2 makes them very much like Team Rocket though :/

Both BW/BW2 are very solid games to choose, but overall, HGSS is incredible.

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 20:04 »
whaaaat DPPt were incredible! Nice selection of new pokemon, good range of environments, non-linear map (im looking at you, Unova and Kalos). It actually had some solid post-game content as well, with the whole battle frontier and the Heatran mountain. Outside of battles, it still had a good contest mechanic and poffin making as well. Multiplayer-wise, the Underground and Secret Bases are all good stuff. 

DPPt will make you want to kill yourself because most generations fill caves with Zubats, but this one has a mountain full of Bronzor/Bronzong which are actually bulky xD
As if HGSS doesn't have a load of caves that are filled with zubats as well :P

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, even if you think that DPPt aren't the best games out of the main pokemon games, that by no means make them awful. Anyway, honestly if you've already played through GSC, then there's not a lot of "new" stuff. Sure, there's the updated graphics and nostalgia factor, but almost everything in BW is new and fresh. There's none of the old pokemon in the Unova region, so unless you desperately want to go catch and use the same pokemon that you would've used already, I would reccomend trying out something new. I'd get the original BW rather than BW2, because there's a lot of references to previous games, and there's not much different gameplay-wise to justify getting BW2 over BW.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 21:12 »
As if HGSS doesn't have a load of caves that are filled with zubats as well :P

That's what I'm saying xD I said every game has Zubats in caves, which is annoying, but Bronzors/zongs are equally annoying but actually take a while to kill xD
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 18:37 »
If you want to get back on the Poketrain really you should just play them all. I think each gen makes reference to previous gens in small ways that make no sense without the context of the gen before.

If you're struggling with the mechanics then maybe it's best to start with HG/SS but you should definitely play D/P/Pt too, followed by BW, BW2 and then X/Y. Gen IV was excellent and I personally don't believe we've had a region since that encouraged so much exploration, everything since Sinnoh has been at least a little bit too linear.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 20:00 »
Platinum was really good, if you want to go for a gen 4 game, play it as well as HG/SS. Really, it's good fun.

Offline Ya-Yah

• I'm told I'm a
  • Mulholland Fan
  • Apparently aka YY now ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 16:28 »
Aww I liked DPPt :( Especially Platinum, I thought Cyrus was one of the first really twisted villains but fair enough. :tongue2:

I've loved all of the games although to varying degrees. I do think HGSS is a good one to get back into the series though. My little brother used to watch me play Gen III games and played LG a few times but he didn't get his own until HGSS. And now he loves the series so I guess that would be a good starting point  ^.^

Offline DisturbedHaxorus

• Holder of all Knowledge
  • Psythor Fan
  • Stop pulling on my leash, you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 04:33 »
Well, turns out White 2 was the only game I could get on amazon under $25 (had to use a gift card), so I'll start enjoying that in 3-5 business days. Thanks for the advice everyone; when I next get the chance to buy these games, Platinum and/or Soul Silver will likely be my first choice. Unfortunately though, since I'll be getting my new game after the 20th, I won't be able to participate in wifi events until I can afford a 3DS. Damn, I was really looking forward to Porygon-Z...
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

-"The name's Hax...DisHax."

Offline OpalRhea

• PUK's unofficial psycho writing steampunked Charizard
  • Sentret Fan
  • Credit goes to meta spriters. Shiny Chary is smexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 12:18 »
Honestly, considering you won't be getting it until wi-fi servers are shut down, get a DS emulator and download the ones you want to try. You won't be able to use wi-fi, but that's already pretty much out of the picture

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 22:29 »
Pretty sure you're not allowed to suggest that on the forum, and it also means the can't eventually PokeTransfer and PokeBank his Pokemon to 6th gen.