Author Topic: Nostalgia Thread  (Read 68082 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2013, 17:02 »
I think the biggest shame is that IRC has been dead for so long, I think it was the catalyst for a lot of great conversation on the forums. I still idle on IRC whenever I turn my computer on in the morning, just to bump up the numbers. Most people just seem to join for 5 minutes and then quit. I'd love to get IRC active again but I don't think it helps that we share a server with one of the biggest Pokemon IRC channels on the net.

Anyway...nostalgia..

The AS | Fad. It was in the height of emo stuff being popular and I'm pretty sure 95% of people just wanted something to inflict on themselves. It was pretty funny/ridiculous.

y r girls so hot? was hilarious really, I remember seeing the topic when it was first made along with a couple of other similar ones and everyone just had no idea how to respond for a while until it just became a huge site-wide joke.

I remember the spam forum on christmas, it was glorius. Someone eventually broke the rules and posted a picture of a middle finger and everyone was so horrified hahahaha

I miss Dan_Dan, Jesskoviggy, 16bit, Faf...so many other people I'm forgetting.

I have so many good times associated with this place, from meets to drama to trades. I love how the place had little subcultures within it, you had the gamers, the anime fans, the artists, RPers, RRers...it was great.

I think people associate this place with drama and don't want to come back because they feel like they've tarnished their name. Who was it who came back recently and was like 'whoops I guess I shouldn't have done this' because they brought up the past.

I think really, if you want to come back here; just do it - ignore the past, ignore your online rapsheet and if anyone wants to drag it up then it's their bad karma not yours.

As much as I want to bring PKMN.NET back to the old ways, I don't think that stepping back is the right way to go. We need to move forward and make a new culture out of that rather than just kinda trying to live off former glory. That's what will make the place enjoyable without feeling like it's just living in nostalgia.

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2013, 18:21 »
I think really, if you want to come back here; just do it - ignore the past, ignore your online rapsheet and if anyone wants to drag it up then it's their bad karma not yours.

Speaking of Karma. Do people remember the Karma system?
Slowly an old member..

Offline Sizacu

• Sentret Fan
  • hello everyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 18:41 »
I had +2 ;; I was so proud of my first one, I think I've got this message from Sentret still in my inbox haha.

Captivating Radiant Elegant Serene Seraphic Enchanting Lovely Immortal Adorable

Are you interested in spriting, or improving it?

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 19:07 »

i had +7 for calling milsap out on being pretentious about Music These Days and i cant remember i think i got one for a post that said 'haha wow okay whatever' then everyone got anally anguished because PEOPLE DIDNT DESERVE KARMA!!!!!! THE KARMA SYSTEM HAS BEEN TARNISHED!!!!!! PEOPLE ARE GETTING KARMA FOR ANYTHING THESE DAYS!!!!!!

i miss karma it made everything so much funnier

(ive typed karkat instead of karma like 6 times now)

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

MRxo

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 19:12 »
I wish Dan_Dan was still on the site tbh :/

I had 21 Karma I think but quite a few were for stupid reasons, bias always clouded the system I found (both positive and negative). I much preferred seeing someone earn it, thus making me give it out than receiving it.

I do remember getting my first for making a post about condom safety lol I didn't even realise I had one until people were PMing me how I got it. I had no idea initially you could set it so you'd get a PM notification.

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 19:17 »
Helenoftroy? Wasn't that the one who told Bluffy to spend her life lying on her back? Hahaha. she got creepy with me for a while too.

I am disappointed. Seemingly people in USA think the rest of the world is a reflection of them.
To OBS I say, good luck on your journey. To Bluffy I say, live your life but don't spread too often.
To echo & MR I say, the world does not begin and end within a few miles of the borders of the USA.
Echo, why just go half way? the boys are waiting.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 19:22 »
Wait, pardon my slowness, but when did Dan Dan leave? I was wondering why I hadn't seen a lot of him lately. I know he stepped down from being a mod (admin? ) at one point, but never would have guess he'd have up and left like that.

As much as I want to bring PKMN.NET back to the old ways, I don't think that stepping back is the right way to go. We need to move forward and make a new culture out of that rather than just kinda trying to live off former glory. That's what will make the place enjoyable without feeling like it's just living in nostalgia.
Agreed. We can't force it, either. It's gotta flow naturally. Flowwww

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2013, 19:24 »
ahaha i think i had about 5/6 karma
fun times
i got one for making Mike a sprite.......... :l
lemme see
Dear user. Your karma was changed.

The reason of changing was: For contributions to Spriting and the site.

The reason of changing was: TELL EM GURL
??????

The reason of changing was: On behalf of Metagame Spriters; good contributions

The reason of changing was: For providing the final image to complete The Metasprites.
yeah i can't find anymore
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 19:27 by Shaymin »

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2013, 19:26 »
I had 1 karma i believe webbz gave to me for some long post i had. it was good and bad, but i think karma was a better thing for people to strive for back then, as opposed to post count

everyone be all creating threads: "OMG 800 POSTS"

and i agree -- though it is fun to talk about the funny events of the past.

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2013, 19:45 »
Oh man how did I forget karma!! I think I somehow ended up with the most karma of any non-staff member, lol. Idk how but it made me feel important so bring it back plz

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2013, 21:17 »
I had 1 karma i believe webbz gave to me for some long post i had. it was good and bad, but i think karma was a better thing for people to strive for back then, as opposed to post count

everyone be all creating threads: "OMG 800 POSTS"

and i agree -- though it is fun to talk about the funny events of the past.

Yeah, and when someone got 1000 posts it was like 'Everyone gather around the old man, he's going to tell a story' and the post would always be a huge wall of text about the history of the poster and their trials and tribulations in the long 3 years they'd been on the site. It was brilliant, I probably did it myself too at somepoint.

MRxo

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2013, 23:42 »
lol I accumulated roughly 12k posts in a year and a half... I was so devoted to the site back then.

Those topics where everyone thanked their pals and stuff for post count achievement were brilliant though. Kinda wish they came back.

@ echo - Yeah I gave quite a few out for good discursive post(s); I even gave one to someone who disagreed with me but because the discussion was so good (imo) I thought it was deserving.

I also gave out one to pretty much everyone who helped out with Metagame Spriters. I felt like I was spreading joy the whole day. That actually makes me think; I wonder if I'm still a Metagame Spriters Leader. I still know the login stuff :o

If Karma does ever come back I want my old figure to be on there. Or a negative figure for kicks and giggles #ego

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 00:53 »
Over 10 years here and I still have under 4k posts. I probably should've been a bit more 'involved' with the community. Either I was a nob or just very forgettable, probably the former. In the bigger group things I tended to step back and watch rather than participate, even online I was a cowardly nerd.

It's weird to think I've grown up as a semi-regular visitor here though, and all these memories of IRC were actually years after my time on it with Kat, Branc, GM, DanDan, Phil and...err...the others. I feel old. I'm fairly sure I somehow managed to get 2 or 3 karma, it confused me greatly how that came about.

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2013, 03:06 »
I've never been massively involved with the community here but I've enjoyed lurking it for the last, I dunno, 8 or so years? Used to hang out in the IRC a bit but that was a looooong time ago.

Shout out to Sappy, he's my home boy (and I gave him that damn name).
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 05:15 »
err who were you?

Helenoftroy? Wasn't that the one who told Bluffy to spend her life lying on her back? Hahaha. she got creepy with me for a while too.

Dude that was helenoftroy?  Bluffy and laughed our asses off at that post.  Hahahaha i miss them

Also, my ninth year was like two weeks ago.  The big 10 should be my next long emotional "ive been here too long ;-;" post.  But I doubt any newbies will remember me and I doubt any of the older members here would stick to it, but I guess my memories here are more obscure and clouded in drama compared to others.

Dan left ages back.  I think he felt like he was getting too old for this place.  It's whatever.  I think he barely goes to smogon anymore either.  I don't blame him, we've lost a lot over the years due to people growing up and naturally setting off.  For reference, any posts by Afro-Disiak is Dan.

Also, I don't think anyone who remembers this even goes here anymore (anyone who I've been close with over the years more or less stopping coming here and got lives of their own, much like myself), but #pkmntournament was THE BEST.  #teambuilding was a cheap knock off, nothing will ever beat #pkmntournament.

But I'm talking, what, around 6-7 years ago?  Man oh man does time fly hahahahaha that was back when Barnaby was still active, to put this in perspective.

Turner - you're thinking of whiplashed/Chaos Angelus.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:32 by Lord Raven »
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!