Author Topic: Name meaning  (Read 5533 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Name meaning
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 12:32 »
I just initially assumed it's to do with graphs and that we're to expect a third version called "Z". As in the X and Y axis, and the Z axis which allows us to represent shapes on a graph; third dimension.

My other thought initially was that it would be representative of chromosomes, but the colouring is wrong; surely the X would be red, XX is female, whilst the Y should be blue, XY is male. That could just be me being picky, though.. but even so, if it is to do with chromosomes, how would they implement that into Pokémon? I don't think it really.. has a place, unless I'm being a bit too closed-minded..?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:49 by Renzokuken »

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 18:07 »
Maybe they thought it sounded kind of cool and went with it.

Offline Lusewing

• Trinity Dragons
  • Mulholland Fan
  • Magicarp is so cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 10:11 »
I would love there to be more of an in depth breeding mechanic and that the X and Y are related to the chromosomes but I am not sure how they could do it really.

The other option I see is X and Y not just relating to a graph but also coordinates. Remember in the trailer we saw Pikachu on the Eiffel tower - a real world place - well what if you could track down rare or special moved Pokemon in special real world places? All that lightning looks cool but maybe it is him (the special french pikachu) being shared around the world?
Nintendo love encouraging people to trade and with this mechanic they would certainly do that. Plus they could advertise that they are encouraging kids to explore the real world around them.

Just a thought.

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 10:17 »
I would love there to be more of an in depth breeding mechanic and that the X and Y are related to the chromosomes but I am not sure how they could do it really.

Oh my gosh that would be awesome. Maybe some of the 6th gen pokemon might be hybirds between two pokemon in very specific mixes?

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

Offline .~:Sly Foxx:~.

• SO, SO MANY THANKS GO TO HAZY FOR THE SLY BANNER AND AVATAR <333333
  • Sentret Fan
  • .:~I'm cute. Don't deny it.~:.
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 14:16 »
Mixing might work with the hints we're getting towards a new Eevee...

Also building on the thoughts of the Pokemon being fused - maybe we're not talking past, but future. This might be a stretch and is probably wild speculation, but we saw in the very first generation that Pokemon cloning is possible, so is it such a stretch that these Pokemon could be manmade fusions?... Though I agree it's more likely that they're roots rather than combinations.

It might be a bit too much of a dangerous subject area for Pokemon to be treading arund, but previous generations have questioned - briefly - if there is any difference between male and female Pokemon. Researchers tend to have a theme, so maybe this generation's researcher will be studying male/female differences in particular? It might be too contraversial for a kid's game, but you never know...

Offline Joe_Pokemon2015- MEGA RAYQUAZA!

• Gen. Giratina: Leader of the Pokemon International Movement. Ternyata semuanya lupa negera Korea...
  • Joeno Fan
  • Giratina: Giygogagohgwooh! to QC for this avatar
    • View Profile
    • Check out my deviantART page! It has Pokemon!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 06:11 »
... I will agree. I found it very funny reading through the speculation thread every time someone mentioned the unknown variables as 'x'.

SPOILER ALERT: The game is an educational game to teach kids the basics of algebra. Pokemon are now captured by solving algebraic equations before you can throw a Pokeball.

Like this?

If so, then this will really put gamers off. On one Youtube comment they think the seventh generation will have a name of Pokemon Sine and Cosine, with the third being Tangent. And so on.

Offline a username

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 21:08 »
         *cough* x and y axis *cough*
I feed of the souls of the li-

SO I HERD U LIIEK MUDKIPZ