Author Topic: [UPDATED] X/Y DEVELOPER ROUNDTABLE  (Read 4882 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
[UPDATED] X/Y DEVELOPER ROUNDTABLE
« on: May 24, 2013, 14:38 »
UPDATE: The roundtable is complete and loads of great info has been gathered/reported.

This information was a combination of Pokemon's Official twitter feed and an IGN correspondant called Rich who was also tweeting and did a really great job of giving us more than Pokemon's (predictably modest) updates so big thanks to him.

I didn't tweet everything that was mentioned but I did tweet all the new info, so if you want to look at some extra context and how the event played out check out both of the accounts on twitter:

https://twitter.com/RichIGN
https://twitter.com/Pokemon

Here's the info:

• Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will refine the core aspects of Pokémon games: collecting, battling, and trading.
  • There are over 800,000 Japanese characters in the game, which translates to 1.4 million words in English!
  • Players will be able to choose 1 of 7 languages to play the game (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, or Korean)
  • The new PSS (Player Search System) will allow players to search for others locally or globally (via Wi-Fi) to battle and trade.
  • PSS is on lower screen of 3DS, tracks Friends, Acquaintances, and Passersby.
  • Tracks two ways - local wireless and the Internet.
  • You can basically be connected with other players all around the world at all times.
  • Passersby - PSS recognizes other players playing XY. If you interact with one of anyone on that list, they become an Acquaintance.
  • Acquaintances can then become Friends. And you can log and access up to 100 Favorites of any of those three categories of interactions.
  • Various options for battles. There is a default set, but you can change things re: special Pokemon and other rules.
  • Skrelp is a Poison- and Water-type Pokémon. Clauncher is a Water-type Pokémon.
  • Just saw a main character grinding down a rail. Definitely character clothing customization options (though how many I'm not sure).
  • Camera placements move around. Split-screen views and more
  • Because a Passerby was battled, that Passer has now become an Acquaintance.
  • Just saw Save Screen showing a Pokedex count of 113 Pokemon and 8 Badges.
  • If you interact more than once, the game will ask if you want an Acquaintance to become a Friend. Pretty easy system.
  • Mr. Masuda just hinted that interacting with Pokémon in Pokémon-Amie will have an additional benefit in battle!
  • A new battle scenario has just been announced! Get ready for Horde Encounters!
  • 5-against-1 battles? That's gonna be tough!
  • Strong bond [From Pokemon Aime] will result in more critical hits or better dodging.
  • Time to talk about battles: introducing Horde Encounters. (Axnew, Tauros being shown as examples.)
  • But a Horde might include a variety of different Pokemon. Not just 1 type. Designed to make wild encounters more thrilling.
  • Dilemma: only introducing strong Pokemon in battles would ruin the balance, because you can capture. So - Hordes. Challenge but balanced.
  • Just like any typical RPG, you make 1 attack, and then all of the Horde will attack.
  • Now introducing Sky Battles.
  • Mr. Masuda is showing a video of a Gogoat encountering a horde of Houndour. Horde Encounters look intense!
  • Another new type of battle has been announced! Prepare for Sky Battles!
  • Only some Flying-type Pokémon (and a few others) can enter a Sky Battle. Mr. Masuda is demoing now!
  • Trainers will challenge you to Sky Battles. Limited set of Pokemon can participate - mostly Flying types.
  • If you don't have any Pokemon that can engage in a Sky Battle, you can't enter the challenge. Seeing a live demo now.
  • Talonflame, a new Fire- and Flying-type Pokémon, has just been revealed in a Sky Battle demo against Noctowl!
  • Very dynamic camera, taking a variety of positions through the air. Night time scene looks fantastic. Talonflame vs. Noctowl.
  • Haunter has a levitate ability so it can fight in a Sky Battle. Now fighting a Aerodactyl.
  • Talonflame has just been switched out for Haunter! But wait...Haunter isn't a Flying-type Pokémon...
  • That's all we're getting in terms of gameplay details. Q&A coming up now.
  • Q: Multiple save files? A: No. Just one.
  • Q: Importing Pokemon from previous games? A: They're working on it. DS/3DS comm. barrier is slightly tricky.
  • Q: Will there be DLC? A: Hoped that wouldn't be asked, but they are exploring the possibilities. No announcements.
  • Q: Explanation for Fairy type being discovered and applying to older Pokemon? A: Dragon type has had an advantage. Wanted balance.
  • Q: How many new Pokemon? A: No comment.
  • Q: Why base this location on France? A: France has a focus on a beauty and that was a focus for X&Y. Wanted to see how to express.
  • Q: Considered tweaking EV and IV to make being competitive easier? A: X&Y will make some of these ideas more visible and intuitive.
  • Q: Depth of customization? A: You can choose hair style, set appearance. PSS shows player icons so chose to allow for custom appearance.
  • Q: Player movement appears to be 8-way. Why not full analog? A: Keeping a grid-style bc of tracking Pokemon encounters. But freer movement.
  • Q: Didn't hear buuut A: Music will have different feel than past games bc it's less modified/compressed than in older games.
  • Q: How does Mewtwo change form? Do you want him in Smash? A: -long pause- Can't explain "Mewthree" Pokemon. Can't talk about other games. Sakurai just chimed in (joking) - "We're thinking about it."
  • Q: New or old villain team? Form of rival? A: "You can expect to see a Team 'Something'" There's a Rival, but maybe not just one.
  • Pokemon X&Y will read your registered friends list from the 3DS system, so the game will automatically have those people as your friends.
  • Some areas have different types of methods of getting around. (i.e. we've seen the grinding and so on). Depends on area.
  • Flow of battles - seeing opponent's team ahead of time - is the same as before. You can select the song for the battle though.
  • Q: Riding Pokemon - benefits? Diff from bike? A: Sounds like you can 'borrow' Pokemon to traverse to destinations. Can help open paths too.

And I think we're pretty much done.

Pokemon's official twitter said they'll post a recap video tomorrow which will probably show you the main features outlined above. I'll add this to the first post tomorrow as it comes, but right now it's nearly 4am and I'm tired as hell so I'm off to bed. Enjoy the info.

Here's the new footage outlining some of the features mentioned above: Gameplay Trailer 3

New Pokemon:

Talonflame

An evolved form of the recently announced Fletchling, Talonflame is a Fire- and Flying-type Pokémon that gains a whole new level of speed and firepower. It dives at foes, and then attacks with devastating kicks. When the battle heats up, flames will pour from its body as it zooms through the sky. Talonflame can learn Brave Bird, one of the strongest Flying-type moves. It also damages the user.

Type:    Fire/Flying
Height:    3' 11"
Weight:    54.0 lbs.

Clauncher

Clauncher is easily recognizable by the oversized claw on one of its arms. This useful claw can seize prey and shoot water at others as a projectile! Clauncher's enormous claw can also crack boulders when the Pokémon is at close range.

Type:    Water
Height:    1' 08"
Weight:    18.3 lbs.

Skrelp

Disguised by its shape, Skrelp pretends to be a piece of seaweed. When prey gets too close, Skrelp bathes it in poison to keep it from struggling. Skrelp can learn Sludge Bomb, which may leave the opposing Pokémon poisoned.

Type:    Poison/Water
Height:    1' 08"
Weight:    16.1 lbs.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 18:32 by Turner »

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 90 Minute Pokemon X/Y Event on E3 (June 11th)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 19:04 »
There's something new in that I reckon. Especially with the Nintendo Direct.

Well I hope so...
Slowly an old member..

Offline Silverwing Bloodsplash

• Hey bros, since when I was a
  • Rob Fan
  • Sexy Smooth Silver Swagger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 19:49 »
Make sure your bodies are ready when E3 comes 'round.
.-v-.

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:17 »
Boy, if none of that is leaked, then the rumors are gonna go WILD.....

Hope they give a downloadable trailer for our 3DSs too, like they've done during previous E3s.....

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

Offline Joe_Pokemon2015- MEGA RAYQUAZA!

• Gen. Giratina: Leader of the Pokemon International Movement. Ternyata semuanya lupa negera Korea...
  • Joeno Fan
  • Giratina: Giygogagohgwooh! to QC for this avatar
    • View Profile
    • Check out my deviantART page! It has Pokemon!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:31 »
But I heard Nintendo's not going to E3 this year. Am I wrong?

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 16:03 »
But I heard Nintendo's not going to E3 this year. Am I wrong?
Half wrong. They're not having an on stage presentation like last year, but they will be there for people to play their new games and whatnot. Also, there will be a Nintendo Direct instead of a presentation for all of us to reveal the new games and such, and BestBuy stores around America will have playable E3 Demo booths so you can try out those games now then wait months and months for their release. ;)

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 00:16 »
Far more excited than I should be for a live Twitter feed but man I'm excited. And running off no sleep from cheering at Sony last night xD only an hour and three quarters to go..!

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 00:47 »
Yesss get hype~

I'm probably going to post the announcements here as they come. The roundtable is closed to the public but a bunch of gaming press is allowed in, so I'll be looking at numerous sources too in case the Pokemon official twitter is a little stingy with the info or omits anything that could add fresh speculation.

-snip-

All the new information has been added to the first post. This is now a speculation/discussion thread!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:47 by Turner »

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
Re: [UPDATED] X/Y DEVELOPER ROUNDTABLE
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 13:05 »
Apparently when asked if Kalos was based on France, there was a long pause and he replied ".. how did you guess that?! *laugh*" as if we weren't meant to notice the shape of the region and the Eiffel Tower.. xD

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 13:25 »
This all sounds exciting, but I knew that's what they were going to do with the amie thing. It sounds like a luck factor, and as Tim and many others will tell you, I don't need opponents having extra luck when battling me But the rest sounds pretty great, looking forward to 4 months from now.

Edit: Also, thanks for posting all that stuff, Turner, realized it should probably be said.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 13:41 »
Does anyone else just get chills when they hear the strings of Pokemon X and Y's main theme?

I hear it and I'm like; "OMG WHEEEEEEE"

I'm loving the look of everything, at this point I don't care about anything else apart from being able to battle in 3D. I love the visuals with Sylveon biting the cake, it looks so DS-like. (Funny that)

Hoarde's is amazing. You can repeat the anime with Pikachu and the flock of Spearow.

I feel like the new Pokemon have been overshadowed this time. With the announcement of Fairy Type and Pokemon-Amie. The new Pokemon just look cool. I think people are all just like "WHOA" with all this new information at once.

Have a feeling Sylveon with be OU. Seeing it 1HKO Haxorus and Mence :L

BUT OMG LOOK AT LIKE XERNEAS AND YVELTAL IN LIKE 3D AND CHARIZARD. omg phwee.
Slowly an old member..

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 14:45 »
Importing Pokemon from previous games? A: They're working on it. DS/3DS comm. barrier is slightly tricky.

That's interesting.  Fair enough given there's about 4 months until release doesn't rule it out, but I thought this would be one of the first things they nail down.  Hm.

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 15:40 »
Four months until release, considering things (internationalization/translation, which would need to happen to this feature too), testing, manufacturing and shipping, does seem like they're not giving themselves much time.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 18:18 »
Well they can update the games now that it's on the 3DS. Seems like a pretty big feature to shoehorn in with an update though.

Given how many Pokemon are in the game plus the assumption that dream world will still be compatible I guess it doesn't matter too much if they can't.

I was talking to Rex about this but I wonder if the air battles will provide some kind of nullification against entry hazards. I think sadly though they'll be just another type of battle separate from the others which is a shame because I'd love it if you could initiate an air battle halfway through a normal match in the event that two flying Pokemon are sent out.

I assume there will be a lot of nerfing this time around though, I've read pretty much every interview I can get my hands on over the past few weeks and something I thought was really cool is that GameFreak staff themselves have been attending and closely watching the competitive battling scene via the tournaments in order to help balance the game and all that Satoshi Tajiri himself is one of the lead playtesters for all things competitive/battling mechanics.

I've added the video and the new Pokemon to the original post.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 18:33 by Turner »

Offline Alpha Fenrir

• The Dark Side of the Sun
  • Rob Fan
  • Anybody got some spare enthusiasm?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 21:17 »

Pistol Shrimp Pokemon! At last! Provided that it's evolution(s) look(s) good, Clauncher is on my team. Seems like it'll have pretty low sp.defense though (judging by the footage of the battle between it and Skrelp). Could be a problem. And I hope water is super-effective against faries  :dry:.

Talonflame, although very poorly named, is brilliant. I was kind of hoping for a third stage, but I think this is quite good compensation.

As for Skrelp... It reminds me quite a lot of the Octarocs in Ocarina of Time, actually. Not entirely sure what to think about it yet but they do have a couple of decent options for evolutions. Leafy Seadragon for one (google it).

The whole transfer issue is starting to worry me. I'll be really disappointed if you won't be able to, so I hope Ninty manages to solve the problem. Perhaps some sort of downloadable software which you can store pokemon from fifth gen games and then save them onto X/Y. I dunno, I'm certainly no expert in these matters.
Curse my memory... Formerly Avalanche Absol 137

...Something tells me no one will care about who I used to be. Or who I am now for that matter.