Author Topic: [UPDATED] X/Y DEVELOPER ROUNDTABLE  (Read 4891 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: [UPDATED] X/Y DEVELOPER ROUNDTABLE
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 00:01 »
When it comes to the transfer issue I know they've transferred from the 3DS to DS cartridge before (The Pokemon Dream Radar), but obviously this is the other way around it may be a lot more difficult.

It also may not be the connection that's the issue. Maybe the way Pokemon are raised via Pokemon-Amie plays such an important part that simply importing the IV and EV data values isn't possible.

It's obvious a lot of effort is being put into this game. A lot more than Gen 4 to Gen 5, IMO.

They're cramming an awful lot into this game. They want this to be the best Pokemon games ever.
Slowly an old member..

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 00:16 »
I agree, I think the problem may well be down to some kind of game mechanic. I've used my DS phat to trade Pokemon from Gen IV to my Black 2 cart on my 3DS, so either it's difficult transferring Pokemon from a DS cart to a 3DS cart, which shouldn't really be an issue as you say with Dream Radar so I do wonder if it has something to do with the values of the Pokemon themselves.

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 08:30 »
Gen IV to Gen V uses DS download play (so you're downloading a DS 'game', even if it's on a 3DS). 3DS download play would presumably get you to download 3DS software, so a normal DS can't run it.

Based on the phrasing of the answer, it could well be that you can transfer from one gen to another, but that you need two 3DSes to do it - one with a gen 5 game, one with a gen 6 game. The communication barrier (due to the above) would then be linking a DS and a 3DS.

Game mechanics can be updated, and if that was such an issue they wouldn't be looking at it at all - it would have been a yes or no design decision that they would've made a lot earlier (I can't imagine it being "We forgot to put a transfer mechanism in! What do we do?" - they would have thought about it). Even if the Pokemon-Amie changes things, they could just make up something about the new mechanism wiping your Pokemon's memory so it is as if it has not gained any EVs at all, or some other excuse.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 15:54 »
It could just be a very roundabout way of saying 'We're not going to include this but we don't want to break the news until we've revealed more of the game'.

I'd honestly be surprised if transferring Pokemon was possible. With WFC downloads as well as Dream World and Spotpass it shouldn't be impossible for any Pokemon to be available to download. I can also see them doing version exclusive downloads to encourage more trading. For example Palkia and Dialga downloads being exclusive for X and Y respectively (Or vice-versa, doesn't matter) so people are encouraged to trade even with the downloads.

With the amount of old Pokemon we've seen so far it seems almost pointless to trade old Pokemon to the new game anyway. I wouldn't really be too sad if it wasn't possible.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 16:29 »
Nintendogs, Pokemon style? Yes please.

Interesting to see how they've stated that they are nerfing dragon types with the fairy type. Horde encounters look awesome too!

Also, when Masuda sends over Gogoat as a demo of the trading, haven't you all noticed that the Gogoat has different colours and has sparkles floating around it for a few seconds? Shiny pokemon may still be around for this gen, thankfully...

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 18:51 »
Wouldnt see any reason for them getting rid of Shinies. If they did, what would happen when you transfer your 5th Gen ones over? Would Ash's Noctowl just vanish when he next goes over to Oak's? XD

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 23:31 »
Game mechanics can be updated, and if that was such an issue they wouldn't be looking at it at all - it would have been a yes or no design decision that they would've made a lot earlier (I can't imagine it being "We forgot to put a transfer mechanism in! What do we do?" - they would have thought about it). Even if the Pokemon-Amie changes things, they could just make up something about the new mechanism wiping your Pokemon's memory so it is as if it has not gained any EVs at all, or some other excuse.

It could just be a very roundabout way of saying 'We're not going to include this but we don't want to break the news until we've revealed more of the game'.

I'd honestly be surprised if transferring Pokemon was possible. With WFC downloads as well as Dream World and Spotpass it shouldn't be impossible for any Pokemon to be available to download. I can also see them doing version exclusive downloads to encourage more trading. For example Palkia and Dialga downloads being exclusive for X and Y respectively (Or vice-versa, doesn't matter) so people are encouraged to trade even with the downloads.

With the amount of old Pokemon we've seen so far it seems almost pointless to trade old Pokemon to the new game anyway. I wouldn't really be too sad if it wasn't possible.

The biggest issue I can see isn't down to connectivity, as I'm sure Nintendo will have some format to allow such, but the implications of the Pokémon-Amie and the Fairy typing. I do not doubt for a single second that they would have taken that into account when they were deciding on whether or not to introduce an eighteenth type, the connectivity to previous generations as it's something a lot of people appreciate and treasure. Of course, simple things would now be affected. Hidden Power is the first one I thought of, that they're now perhaps faced with either making the Fairy type elusive much like the Normal Hidden Power (i.e. you can't have a Normal Hidden Power) or changing the way Hidden Power is calculated. Maybe they could include a flag that would say "if Pokémon is migrated, then all is calculated by method 1" and if there isn't a flag, all is calculated by method 2.

Of course, we just don't know what the means of the Pokémon-Amie and it's features are. They've suggested it raises the chances of dodging moves, of your Pokémon actually using your moves.. so could this be a new system and the extent of this new system?

In a neutral stance, whilst there are a lot of competitive battlers who would hate to have their work so far eradicated, a lot of people who don't have any take beyond battling with their friends who have connections to their Pokémon would hate for those chains to be ended. I know I've got Pokémon from Gen III (such as Blaziken) from the first time I played Sapphire which I've transferred all the way through to Gen V for when I complete the Elite Four after the main game is completed. I'd be disappointed if that was removed.

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Offline Joe_Pokemon2015- MEGA RAYQUAZA!

• Gen. Giratina: Leader of the Pokemon International Movement. Ternyata semuanya lupa negera Korea...
  • Joeno Fan
  • Giratina: Giygogagohgwooh! to QC for this avatar
    • View Profile
    • Check out my deviantART page! It has Pokemon!
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 08:55 »
Maybe Pokémon-Amie is just another way to do EV training, perhaps?

And maybe if it makes the Pokémon friendlier, will it be a new avenue to evolving Pokémon which requires high friendship levels? (aside from walking, battling, etc.)