Author Topic: Rate my first GenVI Team  (Read 2210 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Danse Macabre ( 6,6)

• YGO & Pokemon Veteran
  • Joeno Fan
  • The Old Hand
    • View Profile
Rate my first GenVI Team
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:50 »
Hey guys,

I'm a bit behind with my X&Y team as I'm busy being an internet celebrity nowadays, here's the team list I'm building right now!

BTW, I know I need a sixth team member, was thinking Weavile or maybe a Rapid Spinner?

VintageBeef
Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Sticky Web

Etho
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

PauseUnPause
Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Evs:4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Shadow sneak
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Kings shield

Vangelous
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

Honeydew
Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / HP
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

I could really do with some help guys, I really want to properly get back into the community & can't just carry on stuffing my team with nothing but sweepers!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:12 by Danse Macabre ( 6,6) »
Internet celebrity in the making Danté Solablood! For all your Minecraft LP needs go to: http://www.youtube.com/user/KamenDev

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Re: Rate my first GenVI Team
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 23:33 »
They're all sweepers. Galvantula is RU, so considering Gengar is banned to OU, it's not a good idea.

On Pokemon Showdown, a Calm Mind abusing Sylveon works well as a special wall.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 23:42 »
maybe spikes/stealth rock skarmory could help?

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 23:51 »
^ Yes.

Skarmory should run spikes, whirlwind, brave bird and taunt while holding leftovers.

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35 »
The big issues I see with this team as it is are type matchups and redundant movesets.

Firstly, your team struggles with Fire, Dark and Ghost types. Garchomp is your only reliable switch-in to Fire type attacks, especially Physical Fire attacks, which are luckily few in number. Since Steel no longer resists Dark or Ghost, Aegislash is just as threatened by those types as Alakazam and Gengar. In fact, Aegislash has a lot to fear defensively, so your types need to accommodate for that.

Secondly, by using two Pokémon for similar roles, you take out any possible variety from your team. Your only Physical Pokémon both carry Swords Dance, and Alakazam and Gengar have almost identical movesets, which is redundant.

I'd suggest removing Gengar entirely, as you already have a Physical Ghost, and Alakazam carries almost all the moves that Gengar would be using. This eases your Dark and Ghost weakness a little, and almost every role that Gengar would play has been replaced.

This leaves you to find another Choice Scarf Pokémon to fill its gap, hopefully one that would aid your team typewise. And then a 6th member to pull your team together. (I agree that this team is a little sweeper heavy but my first instinct tends to be to use sweepers so I'm no better ^^;)

I'm not too great at suggesting specific Pokémon... I haven't played competitive properly since Platinum so I'm using Pokémon that I used sometime during that Gen. Hopefully others will be able to suggest specific fixes for you :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:37 by Webby »

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

Offline Volkner

• The Shining, Shocking Star
  • Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 07:37 »
Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Sticky Web

I'm only going to comment on Galvantula 'cause that's the only Pokemon I've used, lol. Even then I've only used it on Gen 5 RU.

Imho using the Focus Sash is hardly worth it. Galvantula can tank a lot of non-STAB attacks. That's all he needs, since you're using him as a sweeper. That covers against unexpected moves and HP.
I recommend using the Life Orb. It gives Galvantula that little bit extra power that it's missing.

Volt Switch really isn't worth it. Galvantula is fast enough, yeah, it's just not when you've got Thunder. What are you going to use it against, anyway? It's not going to do a whole lot to Fire-types or Rock-types, and it's useless against Ground-types.
I recommend Giga Drain. It heals off Life Orb damage and it's a good counter to Ground-types, especially Water/Grounds. It also covers Rock-type, too. And it's a nice move to use when you're opponent is going to switch out. If they switch to a Ground-type, you just got a free turn to do some big damage and heal.
"My relationship to Flint? There's no love lost, that's for sure."

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 11:31 »
This leaves you to find another Choice Scarf Pokémon to fill its gap, hopefully one that would aid your team typewise. And then a 6th member to pull your team together. (I agree that this team is a little sweeper heavy but my first instinct tends to be to use sweepers so I'm no better ^^

Well as for stopping fire types and the choice scarfer, I'd suggest running a trick set on  Wash Rotom.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:41 »
I'm only going to comment on Galvantula 'cause that's the only Pokemon I've used, lol. Even then I've only used it on Gen 5 RU.

Imho using the Focus Sash is hardly worth it. Galvantula can tank a lot of non-STAB attacks. That's all he needs, since you're using him as a sweeper. That covers against unexpected moves and HP.
I recommend using the Life Orb. It gives Galvantula that little bit extra power that it's missing.

This is incorrect thinking on your part, but I can see why you'd think that. In generation 6, Galvantula's only claim to fame is setting Sticky Web, and Focus Sash nearly ensures that it fulfills that goal regardless of what it's hit with. If it were purely a sweeper, I'd agree with you whole-heartedly, but that's not what Galvantula is used for.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Volkner

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 10:48 »
If you're aiming for a wall of sorts, you're better off with something like Ariados. Galvantula is fast and a good powerhouse, but imho it's a waste to try and use it as a set up for Sticky Web.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 10:52 »
Ariados can't do anything except Sticky Web in OU, though. It has no offensive output. His Galvantula isn't meant to wall, it's meant to ensure Sticky Web and be able to do some damage afterward before it dies. Focus Sash is the best way to go.

Offline Volkner

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 10:55 »
And that's why OU sucks, lol.

Though really, I don't see why you'd need to Focus Sash Galvantula. It's an alright lead, and you could probably get off a Sticky Web without taking much damage (if any) unless your opponent predicts you'll lead with it.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 11:41 »

Actually, OU is standard. Both spiders aren't banned or ranked in OU. So, basically, they're below the high standard found there.

Also, I just use the pokemon in the tier, not one below, can't help you with your arachnids.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 13:41 »

Though really, I don't see why you'd need to Focus Sash Galvantula. It's an alright lead, and you could probably get off a Sticky Web without taking much damage (if any) unless your opponent predicts you'll lead with it.

It's always used as a lead in OU, because anything else it can do besides Sticky Web, something else does it better. Focus Sash consistently allows setup of Sticky Web on turn 1, which can be hugely important.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 17:30 »
Mega Alakazam isn't really a good idea, in my opinion.

It's jump in speed only allows you to jump past:
Jolteon, Accelgor, Ninjask, Aerodactyl

I haven't included megas, because on the first turn the non-megas speed is used, so you'd outspeed first turn.

In addition, mega Alakazam is actually WEAKER than life orb Zam, (449 SpA at 252. Timid as opposed to 479.7 with LO Zam)

Also, Alakazam has an amazing ability already with magic guard, and there's few abilities that it can trace that are better. Sure, you'll get the occasional game where you trace speed boost or whatever, but all in all Magic Guard is slightly better.
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝