Author Topic: Getting Internet Advice  (Read 921 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Getting Internet Advice
« on: November 07, 2016, 19:35 »
Hey guys, just after a little bit of advice really since I'm pretty damn useless with this kind of thing

Now I'm looking at getting internet for my new place and I don't know what I actually need. I'd like it to be unlimited on the monthly usage but I don't know what I'd need in terms of speed or anything.

I'd really only use it for browsing, watching movies / Netflix and playing online with my console.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: Getting Internet Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 19:51 »
I'd probably go on uswitch or one of those comparison websites and see what the cheapest company is in your area first and go from there. Speaking from personal experience I'd avoid talk talk. I think if you're in the right area Virgin can be pretty good?
My friend managed to haggle with sky and is just paying for his line rental at £17.50 but is also getting unlimited broadband and sky tv on top of that! Just price a few companies up and then see how much you can haggle.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 20:02 »
Virgin do without line rental but it's not available in my area =[

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 15:20 »
for what it's worth my personal experience with Sky were that speeds were pretty horrible, if more than one person was ever using the connection at a time it became almost unusable.

at home I have the Virgin 200 whatever package which on my Ethernet adaptor gave me 100/10 (down/up) (out of what I assume was 200/20 total for the whole house) and I never had any issues with it because that's a borderline excessive speed for the average user, but I see you can't get Virgin which is super unlucky.

I think like around 20~40 down would be enough for you if you'd be the only person using the connection so see if you can get something cheapish around those speeds, but also do a lot of reading up about each ISPs service in your area. Nothing worse than paying for x speed and then finding out no one in your area gets even half of that.
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 17:42 »
for what it's worth my personal experience with Sky were that speeds were pretty horrible, if more than one person was ever using the connection at a time it became almost unusable.

at home I have the Virgin 200 whatever package which on my Ethernet adaptor gave me 100/10 (down/up) (out of what I assume was 200/20 total for the whole house) and I never had any issues with it because that's a borderline excessive speed for the average user, but I see you can't get Virgin which is super unlucky.

I think like around 20~40 down would be enough for you if you'd be the only person using the connection so see if you can get something cheapish around those speeds, but also do a lot of reading up about each ISPs service in your area. Nothing worse than paying for x speed and then finding out no one in your area gets even half of that.

yeah it's looking like I'll probably have to go with BT after checking some of the options; I can get fibre with BT so I should be able to get good speeds with them, it's just quite expensive, that's all haha. I've got to get my ethernet socket checked first any way since it has an out of order sticker which isn't exactly the best news.

I might even ring BT and see if there's other deals I can get with them ^^;

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:06 »
I'm with Utility Warehouse. My phone, internet and electric are all on one bill and it saves me a bit in the long run.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel