Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 105229 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Piccolami.

• Joeno Fan
  • cheers Rich for the Rocket Ampharos <3
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #240 on: April 30, 2009, 20:40 »
In school we have to read Cather In The Raye (or Rye I do not know xP) I like it a WHOLE lot better then that stupid Butterflies crap xP

I'm re-reading CITR at the moment, ready for my GCSEs. Less than 2 weeks to go now =S
human beings in a mob
what's a mob to a king
what's a king to a god
what's a god to a non believer
who don't believe in
anything

Offline Utack and Swampy

• "Generally, anything in the 31-28 range is fantastic, 27-24 is ok, 23-lower is no."
  • Fan Fan
  • Smooth as a Silcoon~
    • View Profile
    • My Art
« Reply #241 on: May 06, 2009, 05:08 »
Ahhh, Catcher in the Rye...Not sure if I ever really got the meaning of that book, but it wasn't that bad.

I've just finished Slaughterhouse 5. Gotta admit, I can't tell up from down in that book...We more or less end at the beginning, and find the ending halfway through, if we were to look at it Chronologically...But then again it's all about Time and such, so I guess it's structed that way on purpose...

Thank's to Blake... for the awesome sig!

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 07, 2009, 18:42 »
Was browsing charity shops for something new to read and I came across Postcards From No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers. I'm two chapters in so far. It has one of those awkward writing styles that takes a chapter or two to get into, has that typical "each chapter is narrated by a different character telling their own story" style, and the descriptions have a few gems (such as the waiters "fluttering in and out of canopied cafés like birds from a nesting box) but as soon as the narrator starts moving they get kinda hard to follow. I had to really concentrate to figure out what was going on.

Not to mention the alarming description of the girl playing bongoes in the plein.. -shudders- ;;

I think the odd words of Dutch thrown in are integrated quite well though, it's usually fairly obvious what they mean, without the author resorting to pasting dictionary definitions in the middle of the page like Markus Zusak does in The Book Thief xD

Still, it's alright. Quite enjoying it so far, it's just not grabbed me yet.

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Webby2

« Reply #243 on: May 07, 2009, 18:44 »
Now I'm on Pre 1914 Poems, and they aren't interesting, except for The Eagle, as it is short and sweet. Exam will be soon, so I'm going to go through my Anthology thoroughly.

Offline MarbleZone

• Die job death car?
  • Mulholland Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 07, 2009, 18:58 »
Georde R.R. Martin's "A Clash of Kings", from the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Purely epic. It's like... enjoyable Tolkien. Okay, I'm half-joking, I found the second book of LotR a colossal bore, but I know I'm part of a distinct minority, don't roast me. =P
"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Offline Piccolami.

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 07, 2009, 21:59 »
Pre-1914 poems for me now,  and stuff from Duffy and Armitage too. The Laboratory is rather awesome, and Kid is a great poem too =]
human beings in a mob
what's a mob to a king
what's a king to a god
who don't believe in
anything

Webby2

« Reply #246 on: May 07, 2009, 23:23 »
Pre-1914 poems for me now,  and stuff from Duffy and Armitage too. The Laboratory is rather awesome, and Kid is a great poem too =]

Ha ha, poor you, Duffy and Armitage aren't as good as Heaney and Clarke. They would so kick their ass in a tag team match, you wouldn't bet against them =P

Too many poems though for my liking, dare I say it... I want Of Mice And Men back! O_O

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 08, 2009, 00:17 »
Reading A Break With Charity. It's a book about a girl in the Salem Witch Trials. I have to read it with a group for LA.

Offline Piccolami.

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 08, 2009, 18:27 »
Ha ha, poor you, Duffy and Armitage aren't as good as Heaney and Clarke. They would so kick their ass in a tag team match, you wouldn't bet against them =P

Too many poems though for my liking, dare I say it... I want Of Mice And Men back! O_O

Ah, but Education for Leisure is an amazing poem! Shame it's been taken off the syllabus, really.

Back to CITR again. Gosh I'm bored of this book =[
human beings in a mob
what's a mob to a king
what's a king to a god
who don't believe in
anything

Offline Mulholland

• Senior Staff Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • Poyo?
    • View Profile
    • Before I Kick
« Reply #249 on: May 10, 2009, 00:10 »
Today I read about:

Obesity, Bulemia, Anorexia, Classical Conditioning, Operant Conditioning and Habituation. All this in various textbooks ^^

SomeoneStoleMyUsername!

« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2009, 11:58 »
Right now I'm being forced to read Under the Mountain for English. The last book I read because I wanted to was Promise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst.

Webby2

« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2009, 18:07 »
I'm reading Of Mice Of Men again sort of... great...
Only a little bit on it though, just to recap on it before the exam.

Offline Xagor

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2009, 00:04 »
Do my Quantum Mechanics notes and exam papers count?

I suppose I did finish the 1st Haruhi Light Novel earlier in the week...
3DS Friend Code:1676 3937 3524
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
http://tcgshiyo.wordpress.com/

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 15, 2009, 17:19 »
currently rereading "Hell to pay" by shaun hutson.. I thought I'd lost the book and then I found it yesterday, so.. celebration read o.o 
then I shall reread "Pig Island" by mo hayder.. again, thought it'd gone missing, but my mum had borrowed it, tsk :c 

I did buy a large batch of typical crime novels from tesco a couple of days ago, though :v ...there was a sale. 
so shall have a go at those when I've finished these. 

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2009, 21:59 »
Reread Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and now I'm reading Deathly Hallows again. I'd forgotten how Holocaust-esque some of the Ministry's actions are.. having the Muggleborn register, pure-bloods being the "superior race" and not breeding with "undesirables," telling the public that Muggleborns were trying to bring down the pure-bloods and that they had "stolen" their magic.. hmn.

DOBBY ;_;

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease