Author Topic: double posting on art threads?  (Read 6581 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
double posting on art threads?
« on: December 05, 2011, 13:53 »
hi
i know art threads are really dead most of the time
at least mine seem to be but i dunno???

but what's da scoop on double postin in art threads?

see i was gonna do this thing, it's called dedramo which is a new drawing for every day in december. i'm a bit late since i only figured this out like... today... but yeah...

if i were to post, would i need to wait until someone else posted on a dedramo threads, or could i be a chancer and say 'what if there wasn't a double posting rule on the art threads'?
i guess it's just me but i really like showing off things i've drawn and it's hard to do that when nobody really sees them to comment u_u

this is all just one big WWEH post it seems but
yeah

tl;dr: can you double post on an art thread to bump it, or even just update it with new art? or do you need to wait until someone has posted before you can post yourself?
better question is 'does anyone but me care'
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 13:56 by sylar »

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Legacy

• I know I'm in my own little world but it's ok, they know me here.
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: double posting on art threads?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 15:04 »
Personally I feel double posting on art threads should be allowed.

Art is something that is done upon pure inspiration and expression of self (unlike with RPing or other threads where you have to wait for a response before you can continue a story/debate/etc.) and waiting for someone to comment on it is generally irritating if you have more that you wish to post up.

By the Owner of the thread double posting (especially in the first few posts) they give themselves more room for links or thumbnails or even full pictures, as a way of, essentially, promoting their work and going 'Hey, look what I did, what do you think?' which is the very feel the Art Board should be going for.

Just my thoughts.
No man is ever truly good.
No man is ever truly evil.
I do the things you never could,
and we won't ever be equal

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 17:17 »
Edit it into the previous post, and if you don't have enough characters create another post.

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 17:29 »
Edit it into the previous post, and if you don't have enough characters create another post.

Still doesn't help with the issue Sylar is raising.
With multiple other forums (if you want to call this a comparison and complain about it then so be it), you can bump your own topic multiple times.

However I believe that the art forum here could use something slightly different, in the sense that perhaps only bump if you have a new piece of art, and the thread hasn't been responded to within x amount of time (no posts for say, 2/3 weeks)

As for Sylar's specific case, it could be classed as an art Project rather than a shop or gallery, and so could differ again.

If I'm honest the art board could to with a bit of a revamp in a sense, and this could well be a step forward, allowing more people to have projects such as this, while being able to keep better track.

Although on the flipside, posting a link with the date beside it could work just as well, and has been used in the past by people. But that still doesn't get past the point of double posting so that others can actually see your work and realise you've posted a new piece. As far as I know, edits only show up as new to those who have posted in the thread.

((My mind keeps going off on a tangent today -__- I don't like it.))

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 17:40 »
Removing or changing the double posting rule for art threads sort of defeats the purpose of there being a double posting rule for the rest of the forum. Sure, you want to show off your art and that's great but the same principal applies if I wanted to show off a particular post for example (lame example, but meh) - I couldn't just go around double posting. If people want to post, they will post. If they don't, they won't.

You could always notify your friends to put in a post?

In any case, I don't really mind. It would make sense, but it doesn't really affect me unless I start posting my drawings. Heh. :p

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 17:48 »
dropping hints to people to post in your thread seems a bit vain to me. wweh i'm a bit Self Concious and don't want to tell people to look at the art i'm hardly pleased with in the first place. in saying that, it's also kind of disheartening to have nobody post unless you need to ask them to.

i do not understand how it defeats the purpose though.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 18:25 »
Removing or changing the double posting rule for art threads sort of defeats the purpose of there being a double posting rule for the rest of the forum.
It would not.  Every single other forum I can think of is against double posting outside of art forums, and here is the reason; because you are updating your thread, you are *not* making a spam post.  Most of double posting is because of useless spam and people having absolutely no reason to double post otherwise, but an update and posting a new piece of art is the exact opposite.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 18:28 »
Just edit it in.

Your reasoning for double posting applies to other topics as well - why wouldn't you be allowed to double post to draw attention to your role play? Your debate? Your trade request?

In other words, if we did it in art, we'd have to do it everywhere else.

And then there's that point - if nobody else posts, then people aren't interested in the topic. If they are, a 'thank you' or 'well done' are simple to add (especially if you put in a single request for it).

And if people aren't interested in the topic, we don't really see the point of keeping it up on top - I'd rather have topics people care about, want to read and reply to at the top of the forum, instead of of the topics of the three people who keep bumping their topics whenever someone else replies.

tl;dr: If it's there for art, it should be there for the others. And in that case, if people don't reply, then why allow bumping to force it up? Just edit it.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 18:55 »
The problem being that some people ARE interested, but don't want to say 'Oh that's nice' to every piece of art that's posted.

And if people aren't interested in the topic, we don't really see the point of keeping it up on top - I'd rather have topics people care about, want to read and reply to at the top of the forum

I actually found this somewhat rude. At the end of the day art is expressive unlike roleplays or debates (or at least in a different way), and so is very very different from other boards. People post art here which could be viewed as personal, and to say no-one cares just because they haven't posted is rude. Some people just don't know how to respond to some pieces of art.

Saying 'look at my art' by double-posting IN THE THREAD, is better than going around to other boards and posting 'look at my art, oops this is a debate thread'. The latter is spamming. Double posting in your own thread is not. It's, in a sense, promoting yourself to the community.

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 18:59 »
I'm sorry, I don't see double posting to say 'Look at my art' any different from 'Read my debate', 'Read my thoughtful point on Pokemon', 'Look at my briliant team' or similar like that.

People post their posts here to be read, just as art is posted to be seen. I don't see it being different just because it's art.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 23:29 »
If you edit a post, the post appears "new" to those who have already read it.

IE: I post a picture in my art thread.

Joeno looks at the thread.

Later, I edit another picture in.

From Joeno's point of view, the post is flagged up as having new content, despite not having another post made in it.

^Doesn't that give the effect that you're after? Flagging up new content to users?

Offline Apprentice

• Grand Wizard
  • Sentret Fan
  • Remember to like, comment, subscribe,
    • View Profile
    • Vinesauce
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 03:24 »
The fact that they're raising is, John could update the topic by editing the topic all he wants, but eventually it'll fall into Page 2. Thus no one will notice or bother to look for it since it isn't on the front of the board.

My suggestion: Make a noticeable advertisement in your signature linking to the topic with a message like, "Updating daily this month."
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ s q u a d ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 03:44 »
i think if a double posting rule was to be made more flexible on the art boards, it should be only if your topic falls off of the first few pages. because i didn't realize it too much until now, but i never check the second page of the art board because i think i check the first page frequently enough. of course, some artist i love could be updating for ages and i'd never know because its on page 2 e.e

and if someone was posting a lot of images-- lets say a photographer -- wouldn't we run into a filesize issue? you can cram a lot of art posts into one post, yeah, but that could be a problem, if the page takes ages to load. like i've kind of wanted to upload some pictures i've taken in the past but i feel like i'm making people with slow computers lives difficult when i put more than 6 up. i mean there are definitely workarounds to this, but i think its worth mentioning.

but i can't say im for constantly posting over and over. thats just kind of obnoxious and i can see the front page of the art board being completely spammed, which would be really counterproductive.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 07:31 »
Your reasoning for double posting applies to other topics as well - why wouldn't you be allowed to double post to draw attention to your role play? Your debate? Your trade request?
Why shouldn't they apply to those as well?  The double posting rule was clearly in place to prevent spam posts; these are clearly not spam posts.  You are posting updates that are completely relevant to the thread at hand and add a considerable amount to the thread (and a piece of art/a long debate post in regards to a new sort of news/article relevant to the debate/you have a brand new trade request).

I'm not sure why people insist on enforcing the actual rule as opposed to relating it to the reason why the rule was put in place.  It's like saying you understand physics because you know the equation, not because of how it's derived or the concepts behind it if we want to bring up outside comparisons.

The easiest way to make all of this not matter is remove post count, put very little emphasis on post count, or remove post count from arts/Role Play/etc that you are allowed to double post in.  Or, better yet, re-implement the system where your double post merged with the previous post.

tl;dr: If it's there for art, it should be there for the others. And in that case, if people don't reply, then why allow bumping to force it up? Just edit it.
Because not everybody posts every single time they're interested in something?  I read plenty of posts that I am interested in but alas, I always save a response for later.  When it's bumped to page 2 I obviously forget.

^Doesn't that give the effect that you're after? Flagging up new content to users?
Not everyone scrolls down.  Sometimes seeing it on the "new posts" portion will actually bring users to the thread.

and if someone was posting a lot of images-- lets say a photographer -- wouldn't we run into a filesize issue?
So you...  post the link, write a couple sentences on it, and go from there.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:34 by Mercenary Raven »
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 09:28 »
The fact that they're raising is, John could update the topic by editing the topic all he wants, but eventually it'll fall into Page 2. Thus no one will notice or bother to look for it since it isn't on the front of the board.

i think if a double posting rule was to be made more flexible on the art boards, it should be only if your topic falls off of the first few pages.

Because not everybody posts every single time they're interested in something?  I read plenty of posts that I am interested in but alas, I always save a response for later.  When it's bumped to page 2 I obviously forget.
Not everyone scrolls down.  Sometimes seeing it on the "new posts" portion will actually bring users to the thread.

All of these arguments are invalidated by the option to "Show new replies to your posts" option beside your avatar at the top of the screen. If you're following a particular topic, and have posted in it, then when someone edits new content in, that topic will be back on the list of topics for you to check for your interest.

So rather than relying on your favourite artist to double post, check the new replies page and they'll be there.

I'm not sure why people insist on enforcing the actual rule as opposed to relating it to the reason why the rule was put in place.  It's like saying you understand physics because you know the equation, not because of how it's derived or the concepts behind it if we want to bring up outside comparisons.

The easiest way to make all of this not matter is remove post count, put very little emphasis on post count, or remove post count from arts/Role Play/etc that you are allowed to double post in.  Or, better yet, re-implement the system where your double post merged with the previous post.

^I'm very much in favour of this idea; but I have the feeling of "If it's not broken, don't fix it." Really, this topic is only here because people want to ensure their work is seen by their fans. And seeing as we have the "check new replies" option, or even the "check unread posts" option, if you're a silent-fan, then I don't think the double post rule needs to be ammended.