Pokémon Games > Games General

The flavour behind Normal/X types?

(1/3) > >>

SaRo|Rapidash:
Things like Sawsbuck (Normal/Grass), Heliolisk (Electric/Normal) and Pyroar (Fire/Normal) are all dual-types with normal, but I always found this really strange because in being the second type they aren't 'normal'. I just wondered if anyone else has a way of mentally justifying this or even if anyone else sees it this way? I totally understand why it would mechanically be done - second STAB and different weaknesses etc, but just flavour-wise I feel like you can't be simultaneously elemental and normal.

Captain Jigglypuff:
I think it's similar to how Flying is almost always paired with another type. The exception being Tornadus of course. It also adds variety to the game and we do need a type that is neutral in terms of attack damage.

SaRo|Rapidash:
Yeah, but I guess to me the difference between it and Flying is that Flying doesn't imply exclusivity, whereas Normal sort of does? Like is a fire breathing lion 'normal'? Normal as a type on its own is fine, I agree a neutral(ish) type is cool, but when you pair it whether you look at normal as meaning ordinary or as meaning neutral, neither make sense to be paired?

Idk why Flying is always paired, though, especially when it's generally just with Normal, would have been a pretty cool way to differentiate one of the Pidgey clones haha.

The Hooded Trainer:
Well, flying being paired with normal makes some sense, since a flying pigeon would indeed be considered normal. I see your point with fire-breathing lions though...

MonsterMon64:
I get the gripe, but I guess until recently I've never thought about it all that much. Some cases it makes sense flavor-wise, like with Girafarig, who you can assume is a Normal giraffe with a Psychic butt. Others are a bit more of a stretch, but I think in most cases where it's a pure Normal that evolves into Normal/[something else], it retains its "normality" at its base but also gains another element, but not to the extent it becomes a Pure whatever-the-new-type is (see Bidoof to Bibarel, or Bunnelby to Diggersby). I guess this logic could be carried over to justify the retconning of things like the Jigglypuff line, or since you mentioned Sawsbuck, it's an otherwise Normal deer which just so happens to have plantstuff growing on it. Also, if you ask what I think of Drampa, it's that it's getting on in years and that's why it's part Normal as opposed to some other type.

...Shaky conjecture, I admit, but does any of this help?

The Litleo and Helioptile lines being part Normal (secondary, no less!) is weird, though. I've got no defense for the reasoning behind it, flavor-wise. Oh, and more pure Flying-types would be nice, but if we're not gonna get that then at least make more based off the wind end of Flying and less so the bird end. I could almost make an argument to split Flying into Wind and Bird... almost. Seems too far into the series for there to be a point to that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version