Author Topic: Some more info on Pokemon-amie has been Gleaned..  (Read 3640 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Some more info on Pokemon-amie has been Gleaned..
« on: August 27, 2013, 19:00 »
..And a lot of it is similar to the ideas I had for balancing the game earlier in the year, surprised?

Now that the dust has settled from the Pokemon Game Show demo, some information about how Pokemon-Amie affects battles:

The unique feature with Pokémon Amie is that after you have utilised the feature, you will come to see various effects in battle. These features range from superficial to largely beneficial for the trainer which allows for greater strategy in battle. Most of them occur randomly, with the rate currently unclear. The effects known are as follows

Text: The introduction message, and various statements throughout battle change in context
Critical Hit Ratio: The ratio of Critical Hits is increased
Evasion: The Pokémon's evasion is increased

The following may be attributed to Pokémon Amie based on the visual representation, but it still isn't clear

Paralysis: The Pokémon has a chance of healing itself from paralysis
Survival: The Pokémon has a chance of enduring a hit which would have knocked it out

Thoughts on this? I wonder how much it will interfere with online play (if at all).

quack98

Re: Some more info on Pokemon-amie has been Gleaned..
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 19:08 »
I didn't think it would be anything like this, I'll be honest, I thought it'd be EV's...

But anyway, I think this certainly looks interesting, especially the idea of Super Luck, Razor Fang, Focus Energy & This boost Absol...

As for online play, I'm thinking if it allows curing of paralysis, this combined with shed skin could be interesting.

I think Evasion will have the biggest impact, making sure hit moves have a chance (it doesn't matter much how large) of missing. No longer would Hydreigon get a perfectly safe Flamethrower on Abomasnow or whatever (poor example, I know).

Offline Alpha Fenrir

• The Dark Side of the Sun
  • Rob Fan
  • Anybody got some spare enthusiasm?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 20:18 »
..And a lot of it is similar to the ideas I had for balancing the game earlier in the year, surprised?

Have we found our resident Game Freak/Nintendo representative?  :ph34r: SPY!  :ph34r:

Back to serious though... If this function isn't neutralised in competitive battling I can see some serious issues with this. Whilst I expect that there will be a low occurrence rate of these effects, there seems to be a reasonable chance that battles will become far too slow. However, if there is a sort of balancing of abilities (so an equal max. out of a boost in accuracy and evasion for example) it could be quite interesting.

I think it would be best if they did limits, like there is with EV's, on each of the boosts so that the boosts are spread out or focused. Not sure if I explained that very well...

Oh and ディック, Mega-Absol doesn't get Super Luck. And it's hold item slot will be taken up by the Mega-Stone.
Curse my memory... Formerly Avalanche Absol 137

...Something tells me no one will care about who I used to be. Or who I am now for that matter.

quack98

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 20:20 »
^I was referring to regular absol, more for lower tiers  ;)

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 21:37 »
If it effects multiplayer battles, gen 6 confirmed for worst metagame imo. Still think these are dumb additions, I don't really get it. I already have astronomically terrible luck, I don't need more luck playing into every battle.
Discord - richardblaziken

quack98

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 21:43 »
Survival + Focus Band may play out interestingly ingame, but I imagine competitively it'll still be an awful strategy.

Offline JSM

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 00:19 »
If it effects multiplayer battles, gen 6 confirmed for worst metagame imo. Still think these are dumb additions, I don't really get it. I already have astronomically terrible luck, I don't need more luck playing into every battle.
This. These changes are looking to be pretty bad to me. As I generally play primarily competitively, this looks like it'll add more luck into the mix which is never good. Hopefully once more light is shed on Pokemon-amie it won't be as annoying as it looks to be.

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 00:38 »

^Yes, so much so.

You'd think that, being a player that loves relying on luck as a strategy, I would welcome this. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I enjoy using luck based strategies in the current metagame because they're so much fun when they actually work. I love missing with Quick Claw Horn Drill three times, because when that fourth Horn Drill lands a hit, it feels /fantastic./

If /every single game/ is plagued with random effects such as evasion and random status heal...christ, it'll be awful.

I'd rather it be that Pokemon with high happiness got higher /accuracy./

Gosh, I don't know about this at all. x_x;

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 01:45 »
I have horrid luck, so from what you guys are saying, this metagame isn't looking too good to me.

Also, Enigma, the accuracy/friendship effect sounds like a good idea.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline .~:Sly Foxx:~.

• SO, SO MANY THANKS GO TO HAZY FOR THE SLY BANNER AND AVATAR <333333
  • Sentret Fan
  • .:~I'm cute. Don't deny it.~:.
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 13:37 »
Well, if it really kills the metagame so bad that it makes it less fun to play, it could always be banned/placed in a separate tier like double and single battles. As for ingame, it sounds a lot of fun... And like it would make some playstyles such as Nuzlocking even more dramatic.

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 14:06 »
i think it sounds really cute,,,
im not into competitive battling and i hope it doesnt ruin the game for those who are though
its just a cute idea, ive always liked the idea of bonding with my pokemon

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 15:05 »
The important thing to remember is that this info has been gleaned, not confirmed officially and there is a lot still unknown. It's a result of people playing the demo, using Pokemon-amie and then observing the differences it makes in battle. Given that Pokemon-amie is basically like a Tamagotchi-esque thing that kind of centres around maintenance of your Pokemon, it will probably only give a boost for a limited time rather than being permanent like EVs

Also re-iterating the quote here: "Most of these occur randomly". So there will likely be no explicit evasion boost, just a higher chance of an evasion boost. It may just be that every time you enter a battle, your Mon-amie'd Pokemon has something like a 1 in 5 chance of getting these boosts during the battle for as long as the effect of playing with it on Pokemon-amie remains.

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 19:00 »
This gen was starting off so well, now we have possibly mandatory nintendogs and that digivolve crap. Why you poo on our dreams, Satoshi?

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 06:24 »
To elaborate on my point earlier, I actually like the base idea of Pokemon Amie. I think it's something that's been a long time coming in Pokemon games, and I love the idea. I hate the idea of adding more luck into actual player-vs.-player matches, because it throws the metagame into a luck-based game, which it currently isn't completely. There will obviously be luck in matches from things like Critical Hits, Misses from moves with imperfect accuracy, Full Paralysis and so on, but to immediately grant Evasion upon entry based on luck opens up too many possibilities of just being unable to win at all. Evasion moves and abilities are banned in competitive play, but it will be much harder to ban something that happens randomly.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 18:34 »
I think Mon-amie is great and what people have wanted for years, maybe Mega evolutions too.

GameFreak are sensible though, they have never truly let me down. I don't think they will screw it up.

Also Tajiri hasn't really had a hand in Pokemon for a long time. Apparently he still works on the battle system, so you might be right there but the idea was passed over to Masuda after Gen II.