General Category > PKMN.NET

So the forums have had less activity

<< < (2/17) > >>

Lord Raven:

--- Quote from: Joeno on August 14, 2012, 08:12 ---Some of us focus on our own things (I'm still working on coding things, updating the Pokedex for example) that we enjoy, but we can't really justify spending the time on writing articles - or really even taking the time out to completely HTMLify an article, source images and so on - especially when we also know other places got there faster and have better info.
--- End quote ---
I'm just curious as to why we can't link to these other places if that's the attitude that is going to be taken >_>

--- Quote ---Right now though, it's basically how life worked out, these things happen to forums and sites. B2W2 may improve things, but we're not suddenly going to get a lot more time (looking at what's coming, it'll rather be the opposite). I just hope we can get things moving on our other project soon, although right now that's not down to me.
--- End quote ---
I'm not going to try to sound like a dick or a douche- I'm just curious how you think the members of this forum can go forward and attract more members during the BW2 release date.  At this point we kinda know that content is not going to be updated, so how would you suggest we work past that to make this place more active?

I kind of made this thread so the community can throw ideas around, because as of now most of our activity may end up being down to the forums and I want to see how we can use the forums to bring more members in.  At this point, I will take the time to acknowledge that I know I've had friction with you (Joeno) in the past, and I'm not intending to start drama or criticize anyone or anything, I just want to bounce ideas around.  I do really care about this place because I've spent almost 40% of my life here, after all.

idk what kind of charm do you feel this place had?  I'm not sure what we can capitalize on- I'm sure there is some sort of quirkiness associated with it.  I was thinking we have a group of welcome wagon people who post in threads to newbies and let them know that if they've got questions, they've got someone to talk to and that they can make friends with you.  They can be funny and a little bit quirky in their posts, but they can sort out what kinds of things they can do to make this place seem easy to get along with and easy to figure out.

Rules can be daunting and so can my pinned thread (which I can have a talk with someone about trimming down- instead of saying "read this before posting" we can say something like "everything you need to know about these forums in a nutshell").  Maybe having a .png image floating around that condenses them heavily?  Have a list of references so like...  if you want help with this, this, and this then consult that person?  Something to that extent.

This may not be the thread, I also think 50 messages is too low an inbox limit.  I don't think there's enough activity that we can really justify having only 50 PMs anymore...

Kpyna:
i'm not suggesting we have people hawking over pokemon information and quickly punching in articles, i'm saying just put some kind of general information out there, so people click on it. i don't really like the idea of being totally out of the running as far as provided information goes. sure, you're more likely to have people on your page if you put things out there the fastest, but you'll still get more traffic putting up "late" information than putting up no information. when i joined, i wasn't looking on cutting edge information for how to catch feebas. like most people, i just wanted to catch a feebas so i shot a google search, clicked a link, and here i am 7 years later. if typhlosion, gravy, whoever actually wrote that up, decided people could just find the info somewhere else and didn't bother, i would have never come here. a lot of people wind up coming here because of site content and decide to check out the forums.

i liked this site because it was campy and not too intimidating. even the staff and members weren't intimidating. i'm not saying "everyone be nice now", don't put on a fake personality because people aren't stupid and it just seems weird. im just saying don't be complete jerks to newbies, even if they are kind of acting weird.

--- Quote from: "I been uot with Nichola Parsons" on August 14, 2012, 08:54 ---i had this happen with a forum i went to in the past they tried to cater for the newbies and there was this awful "NO CUSSING! BE NICE!" kind of smileocracy that just ruined any sense of community cos you couldn't ever argue or be sarcastic about things newbie users seemed to refuse to understand cos the mods would get in a huff and mod you if you were like "holy crap did you even read the rules" cos you weren't Being Nice To The New User

--- End quote ---

i don't want pkmn.net to be like this, but i think it would be most welcoming if it was like, a blend of what we have now and that this forum tried to do. i remember when calling a new guy a noob was super offensive here... i want to say one time i said noob in a kind of joking sense (probably mixed in with a lot of afro and policeman smilies, those things are beast) and i wound up getting reprimanded for mentioning it.

and joeno im going to lightly throw it out there, if you need submitted information to have some html in it, i'd be willing to see if i couldn't help out with that a bit so its a matter of just copy and pasting for you. i've done classes on html coding before so if its something thats a matter of popping in a bunch of tedious <br />s and <h#>s, sticking some images in there, i can do that to take a load off unfinished stuff off the site. even if i decide i kind of really hate doing it too and i don't do code much, at least some stuff got done. whatever works for you. i don't want to just say a bunch of stuff that should get done and not offer a hand.

Clairefable:

--- Quote from: еcho on August 14, 2012, 10:50 --- and joeno im going to lightly throw it out there, if you need submitted information to have some html in it, i'd be willing to see if i couldn't help out with that a bit so its a matter of just copy and pasting for you. i've done classes on html coding before so if its something thats a matter of popping in a bunch of tedious <br />s and <h#>s, sticking some images in there, i can do that to take a load off unfinished stuff off the site. even if i decide i kind of really hate doing it too and i don't do code much, at least some stuff got done. whatever works for you. i don't want to just say a bunch of stuff that should get done and not offer a hand.

--- End quote ---

Good idea, if tedious but necessary stuff like this is getting in the way of implementing ~other fun things~ then perhaps these tasks can be delegated to willing volunteers?

Specstile:
I'm not as active because i don't want to spoil anything from black and white2, i already know who the champion is and that is jsut too much xD

Sean and Gliscor:
I think to be honest, this site was very active on the teambuilding section during Gen IV. People would join IRC because of it to ask for advice, and create topics with teams and lots would give advice. It had a competitive spirit... however, since Gen V I feel all that has gone downhill, partially due to the fact that Gen V just isn't as good as Gen IV competitively. Also, i think this site attracts a particular age group and we've all now fallen out of that age group - so yes we do need to attract more members perhaps. I think we all need to realise that its not the site's content as such that has made the forums like this, it's just there's not much adversity of this site. Like I remember finding this site by accident and i didnt sign up - and i remember for weeks i was trying to find the site again but i couldnt find it anywhere. We need more advertisement, and I would be up for taking on that challenge.

Also, Joeno, you say the moderators and admins are busy - why not simply add some more that are more active? No, I'm not asking to be one. But I am offering my help with coding, since I am studying Computer Science at University very soon so I will be able to help with that, and advertising I think I'm ok at. We are a tight-knit community and we can all come together to improve the activity on the forums and make this site like it once was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version