Author Topic: Competitive Mentor Signups! (Read inside please!)  (Read 1581 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Competitive Mentor Signups! (Read inside please!)
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:18 »
So you may or may not have seen my open discussion about a competitive mentorship program, and the hurdles that would come with that. It seems to have garnered enough interest to certainly be worth my time, but I know that this site has a handful of really great competitive battlers that could pass their knowledge onto those that have been intimidated by the years of a gap between competitive players and "casual" players. I aim to bridge that gap, alone if I must, but I implore you to join me!

So here's how this will work. Fill out this short form stating why you should be a competitive mentor. Keep in mind that just because you can battle competitively, doesn't mean you can teach it. So take a look at the questions below, and if you can respond positively to most of them and think you have the time to teach someone for an hour or so at least once a week, I urge you to sign up!

Name: (Site name or first name, whichever you'd prefer to be called)
Generation that you first begin battling competitively:
Years spent battling competitively:
Strong points when teaching:
Potential weak points when teaching: (Bear in mind that we can help each other along with these!)
Preferred battle style / team style: (Offensive, balanced, bulky offense, stall, etc.)
Time zone and availability: (Please use GMT for this)

I should be considered as a competitive mentor because: (Please keep these relatively brief)

With these questions answered, we will turn to the community to vote on who they would like, depending on how many applications we get. Don't be afraid to sign up!

That out of the way, I don't think I deserve a free pass, so I'll submit my own application as well:

Name: Richard
Generation that you first begin battling competitively: 3
Years spent battling competitively: 9
Strong points when teaching: Patient, able to keep pace with the student's learning needs, knowledgeable in a wide variety of subjects that all concern competitive battling, adamantly keep up with the current and past metagames.
Potential weak points when teaching: Time zone may make it difficult to setup times with some students, I may be overwhelming (I honestly don't know, but that's the impression I get), my battle style may not sync up with yours (a possibility for every teacher, I'd think), and I can't currently teach horde EV Training because I'm too lazy to learn it since Super Training holds my attention better.
Preferred battle style / team style: Bulky offense, but it shifts depending on the current metagame.
Time zone and availability: GMT-6 ; I'm available most days around 5AM-1PM GMT on days I have work, but most days that I don't have work I'm free almost all day.

I should be considered as a competitive mentor because: I am passionate about competitive battling. It's no secret that I'm probably this site's biggest advocate of competitive battling, and I am dedicated to teaching others the art of battle, as can be seen in my 5th Gen Guide to Competitive Battling, 5th gen and 6th gen Pokemon of the Week articles that aim to teach how to use a single Pokemon more effectively every week.

Though my past efforts have been aimed primarily at those that are already into the competitive scene, I sincerely hope that with this project, we can all set our ego aside and reach out to those that want to get into the competitive scene - regardless of whether they want to go all out and battle others, or just start small by learning how to effectively EV train their in-game Pokemon - and teach what it truly means to battle competitively!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:29 by Richard and Blaziken »
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Mentor Signups! (Read inside please!)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:07 »
Bump; if no applications are sent in I will still continue on with this, offering to mentor 2-3 people at a time, if there's still interest. I'll give it until the 22nd.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 11:10 »
Name: Delicious_Scout (will tell you my real name if you are nice)
Generation that you first begin battling competitively: 4, stopped and continued with 5, although in 3 I learnt to build sets.
Years spent battling competitively: 3~4
Strong points when teaching: Persuasive, including jokes and formulas to remember, involving research within my "pupils", you can call me "senpai" while in practice, I can borrow you some bizarre Pokémon to try; I answer quickly, patient, open-minded.
Potential weak points when teaching: Due to my bizarreness, you might think I am agressive or even scary, I have the impression I am not the best battler around, I might not explain something in case I am very busy or sad, I am likely to be banned if this community keeps thinking my humour is not to be taken lightly, I might become less available through time, since Econometrics is a hard subject (although very useful and interesting), not really into triples.
Preferred battle style / team style: (In order) Surprise factor, research, speedy & bulky.
Time zone and availability: GTM+1, available usually from 15:00 to whenever. Saturdays and Sundays: Variable, ask me for appointments.
I should be considered as a competitive mentor because: I defeated Gary Oak I have vast knowledge about prediction, type synergy, I am really motivated to have this chance to teach people how fun this world can be, I know a lot of English despite living in a degenerate country like Spain, I can reach other people motivations through efficient talking, I am available a lot of time. Although I have never competed in any tournament, I used to reach good numbers in Showdown, especially in Ubers with my Stalin stalling team. As well, I tend to use Pokémons from most tiers; from NU to Ubers, since most people might not be prepared for them.

Hope you consider me as one of your slaves partners, Richard.

Regards.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:54 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 16:27 »
Name: Blaze (or SB2K if you prefer)

Gen you started competitive battling: 5

Years of experience: .5

Strong points when teaching:I can break things down easily to some of the newer battlers. Down to Earth and will help any way I possibly can. I'm also, once I start a job for anything, I will not stop until it is done.

Weak points when teaching: My erratic, last minute schedule is sometimes a factor, but rarely. I can also be a bit headstrong and aggressive. Mostly, though, I can't teach horde battle ev'ing and I'm in about the same time zone as Richard, only ahead by an hour.

Preferred battle style: I play a mostly balanced team.

Time Zone and availability: GMT -5. I'm free most of the time 20:00 to 1:00 on weekdays. Although Thursdays until school ends are out of the question. Saturdays, I'm mostly free 17:00 to 1:00. And Sundays, 16:30 to 1:00.

Why should you be considered for the job: Look, let me be honest. I should be considered because this is something i'm extremely excited about. It would be learning experience for the both of us. I may not have not even a year under my belt, but I know to run a good balanced team. I can also surprise you with how much I know. Ask JSM about that. I'm very strategic and this is right up my alley. I can also be a lot of fun. So, that's why I offer my skillset to you, PKMN.NET. If I'm not chosen, it's fine, but if I am, students will learn a lot from me.

Richard, the decision is yours.

Thank you for your time.

Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 13:17 »
Just posting to say that I really hope people take advantage of this, if I still had any interest in competitive battling I know I would.

Really great idea.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:38 »
Although I am not the most indicated to say/write this, the deadline is in two days; therefore, I  hope you are that late because you are writing the best applications of your lifes. If not, that would be kind of... lonely. I am sure a lot of people plays at least Simulators to be the very best, like no one ever was; or to train them since it is their cause, equipped with the Helix Fosil.

Yes, I would like to see more people here, since Blazi is likely to kill me if we are alone many people in the previous thread did want to cooperate with this.

Regards.

PS: No Richard and No Shop make(s) Delicious go Nutsy
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 22:10 »
I think most of the people are waiting for mentors so they can learn how. Scout, Rich and I seemed to be the only ones who wanted to/could be (due to outside factors) mentors.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Dorchadas

• *Vaguely menacing gestation*
  • Rex Fan
  • Pkmn.net: Largest eyelash trade hub in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 20:07 »
Okay, this may be a semi-dead topic (Okay, reeeeeally dead), but I'd still like a mentor. I am okay with most things, such as EVs, IVs, and the like, but I would like help with judging pokemon's worth, team building, and learning to make better movesets. I will call you sempai if you want me to. So, any takers?
Click the fuzzy little dragons!

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 21:38 »
Okay, this may be a semi-dead topic (Okay, reeeeeally dead), but I'd still like a mentor. I am okay with most things, such as EVs, IVs, and the like, but I would like help with judging pokemon's worth, team building, and learning to make better movesets. I will call you sempai if you want me to. So, any takers?

Ok, this will be nothing to do with mentoring or anything, but I can help you in an unofficial capacity. Any questions, just send me a PM, or just make another topic in Team Building and I'll probably reply to it.

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella