Author Topic: What's this, more RMT activity?  (Read 2101 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
What's this, more RMT activity?
« on: March 02, 2014, 14:41 »
So I'm looking at maybe doing this tournament thing in the UK, so I'm getting a team together. Before I start breeding I want to know if I'm wasting my time. Here's the idea:

Starmie@Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SpA / 224 Spe
Nature: Timid [+Spd, -Atk]
-Rapid spin
-Recover
-Scald
-Protect

I don't know how prevalent entry hazards are in doubles, but I really cannot risk rocks being on the field when Charizard gets out there. I've chosen the bulkier build because I just like a bit of durability in a spinner in case the game lasts a while, hence recover. I've never tried doubles but if protect's used as much as I've heard the burn on scald could be a lot of fun, and I don't want to put in toxic cos possible tauntbait is no fun.

Crustle@Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
Nature: Impish [+Def, -SpA]
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Wide Guard/Protect

I figure I will be seeing a lot of Talonflames and Charizards, so I thought I'd get up some rocks of my own, hence the choice of sturdy. I'd put in Wide Guard, but it's a breeding chain of about 4 different species, so if I can't be bothered I might go just protect. Edgequake is just nice in doubles.

Charizard@Charizardite-Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Nature: Timid [+Spd, -Atk]
-Flamethrower/Heat Wave
-Protect
-Solarbeam
-Focus Blast

This is the thing that does the killing. I like fire types, and so Y-Zard is a lot of fun to use even if I prefer Squirtle as a Kanto starter. I'm a little torn between heat wave to hit everybody but at the risk of getting wide guarded. Protect is there for partner switches. Sunnybeam is sunnybeam. Focus Blast is there almost entirely for Tyranitar. That will be a problem if it comes up, and if Talonflame and Charizard are as common as I expect them to be, T-tar is likely to be a common counter to them.

Hitmonlee@Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
Nature: Adamant [+Atk, -SpA]
-Wide Guard
-Protect
-Rock Slide
-High Jump Kick

I've got Hitmonlee in to try to keep Charizard alive, through both defensive and offensive means. Wide guard stops surf and rock slide, Rock slide makes things die, and is there as an alternative to Crustle's stone edge for multi-hit potential. HJK is provides tons of STAB damage to the aforementioned Tyranitar. I may change something in the set to Unburden Normal Gem Fake Out to deal with Megadactyl.

I threw this together fairly quickly, so I figure I've missed quite a bit. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 17:04 by Awkward Squirtle »

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Re: What's this, more RMT activity?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 15:04 »
All I have to say is with Rotom-W's STAB attacks, only one of your pokemon is neutral to both.

Charizard - Weak to both
Crustle - Resists Electric, weak to water
Starmie - Weak to Electric, resists water
Hitmonlee - Neutral to both.

Assault vest conk is fun, or so i've heard. *cough cough* Richard uses it *cough*

If you use assault conk, replace hitmonlee.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 15:23 »
Freaking Washing Machines. I hate washing machines.

Hmm. Don't really like the idea of using Conkelderp. Zard's sun does eliminate the water weakness and can then sunnybeam it, but the electricity is an issue. Ugh, why doesn't rhydon get wide guard?

I wonder if bastiodon would work?

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 15:26 »
Entry hazards are not very prevalent at all. If this is VGC format, then its simply too fast to try and set up hazards when its only going to hit like two pokemon. If this is a proper 6v6 double battle, then that changes slightly but I don't think many tournaments use that format these days. Also, even though its 4v4, you're allowed to bring 6 pokemon and select four from that for a battle, so you might want to consider some other situational picks.

With that, you probably don't want rapid spin on starmie, so I would get ice beam since you have a pretty big garchomp-phobia at the moment (as well as dragons in general). Alternatively, get rid of your own stealth rock from crustle and use a defogger. That way, you can get rid of relfect/light screen as well as any entry hazards.

Reckless doesn't work with life orb. Since your hitmonlee looks like its more focused on utility rather than trying to hit stuff, you could run a sitrus berry or lefties on it. Might be worth replacing High Jump Kick with something like brick break to get rid of those dual screens. Most fighting type moves will probably be able to one shot Tyranitar anyway.

Although you're not inherently weak to it, you don't have much to stop many of the big mega threats running around. Sure, mega lucario probably gets beaten by charizard, that still leaves mega-kangaskhan, mega-gengar and the previously mentioned garchomp. Rotom-W's will-o-wisp is fairly nice to shut down those physical attackers, but other prankster users like meowstic and klefki are also solid choices with T-Wave and dual screen support. I would want some way to stop trick room teams from setting up on my team as well, so something like taunt or whirlwind could work.

Aside from charizard, your team doesn't benefit too much from the drought ability, which is a shame. Chlorophyll users like Eggsecutor or Venasaur could be nice, as well. Although, on second thoughts, its not totally essential since the sun will make your opponent think twice with just charizard on its own. I would go with heat wave on him, btw.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 15:48 »
If mega blaziken hasn't been banned from doubles, watch for that.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 16:07 »
Amoonguss would resist both of Rotom-W STABs and handles Mega Kangaskhan nicely, so that may br worth considering.

As for what you have, I'd say Heat Wave on Y-Zard, as its a nicely powerful spred move when he's your main sweeper.

Fake Out on Hitmon would also deal wih Talonflame, so thats a good ixea imo
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 16:34 »
Entry hazards are not very prevalent at all. If this is VGC format, then its simply too fast to try and set up hazards when its only going to hit like two pokemon. If this is a proper 6v6 double battle, then that changes slightly but I don't think many tournaments use that format these days. Also, even though its 4v4, you're allowed to bring 6 pokemon and select four from that for a battle, so you might want to consider some other situational picks.

Yeah, this is official tourney rules, for VGC '14, which isn't yet announced helpfully. I didn't know you had 6, that's interesting, and I'll think about that.
I thought hazards were rare, but it's also a lottery entry open to anyone, so there's no guarantee my competition understand typical doubles. Rocks will 100% wreck anything my team wants to do as it stands.

With that, you probably don't want rapid spin on starmie, so I would get ice beam since you have a pretty big garchomp-phobia at the moment (as well as dragons in general). Alternatively, get rid of your own stealth rock from crustle and use a defogger. That way, you can get rid of reflect/light screen as well as any entry hazards.

Defog's a good shout actually, I'll think about that.

Reckless doesn't work with life orb. Since your hitmonlee looks like its more focused on utility rather than trying to hit stuff, you could run a sitrus berry or lefties on it. Might be worth replacing High Jump Kick with something like brick break to get rid of those dual screens. Most fighting type moves will probably be able to one shot Tyranitar anyway.

When you say doesn't work do you mean it just doesn't get the boost or completely loses function? LO's just my go to. Sitrus is a good idea, leftovers I'm less inclined towards cos getting more is a nightmare. Brick Break could be fun but I think he'll really miss the loss in power against anything not called Tyranitar.

Although you're not inherently weak to it, you don't have much to stop many of the big mega threats running around. Sure, mega lucario probably gets beaten by charizard, that still leaves mega-kangaskhan, mega-gengar and the previously mentioned garchomp. Rotom-W's will-o-wisp is fairly nice to shut down those physical attackers, but other prankster users like meowstic and klefki are also solid choices with T-Wave and dual screen support. I would want some way to stop trick room teams from setting up on my team as well, so something like taunt or whirlwind could work.

Meowstic is an interesting suggestion I've not considered . I refuse to use a washing machine because they're evil.

Aside from charizard, your team doesn't benefit too much from the drought ability, which is a shame. Chlorophyll users like Eggsecutor or Venasaur could be nice, as well. Although, on second thoughts, its not totally essential since the sun will make your opponent think twice with just charizard on its own. I would go with heat wave on him, btw.
Heat Wave sounds good. I'll look at something with chlorophyll as an alternative.

If mega blaziken hasn't been banned from doubles, watch for that.
Excellent point. Srsly nintendo, get tiers already.
Amoonguss would resist both of Rotom-W STABs and handles Mega Kangaskhan nicely, so that may be worth considering.

As for what you have, I'd say Heat Wave on Y-Zard, as its a nicely powerful spred move when he's your main sweeper.

Fake Out on Hitmon would also deal wih Talonflame, so thats a good idea imo
OK, heat wave it is. Amoonguss sounds interesting, I'll look at adding him in.

After a little research, I've got a few options to consider.

-Kill Megas
-Get pokés 5 and 6
-Fakeburden may be useful, or maybe sitrus
-Look at Meowstic and Amoonguss

I will think about things, and update.

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 16:41 »
Ah, I meant as in he doesn't get the reckless boost. He'll still take recoil and get the damage bonus from Life Orb.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 16:47 »
I have been thinking a bit, and since Normal Gem is released (x1.3 though), you could run Unburden over Reckless if you have good support if you use Fake Out; it neuters incoming Trick Rooms, it allows you to run Adamant without any problem and you can still deal damage properly.

I agree with you; those Washing Machines are evurl.

Starmie is too frail even with investment in that tournament and does not do any good with Zard-Y, as many have pointed out; you might use Mandibuzz (no with rock slide) or Empoleon as defogers, if you really think you will be trapped like that. Empoleon is a strange case, since it will not be able to function well under sun, but can be rather supportative and powerful if some defiant boosts are accumulated. Anyway, you'd rather use other Pokémon who have priority, for example; in this case, Muk (lol) or anything with Vacuum Wave (more lol).

Crustle is a strange Pokémon to use out of Trick Room, but it might be a surprise for many; although it can be a failure if you don't give it full support; it has too many flaws for this game, such as being weak to Rock Slide.

An interesting strategy would be having a Ground Type (Krokowhatever with Intimidate, who gained a defensive buff) with a Pokémon with Discharge for the lulz.
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 16:50 »
^ Empoleon can't defog, because its gen IV TM and all VGC mon must be Kalos bred iirc =/
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 16:52 »
^Don't you mean HM?

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 16:59 »
I have been thinking a bit, and since Normal Gem is released (x1.3 though), you could run Unburden over Reckless if you have good support if you use Fake Out; it neuters incoming Trick Rooms, it allows you to run Adamant without any problem and you can still deal damage properly.

I was already looking at, I thought I said that. I just noticed I forgot about his EV spread and nature. I'll fix that now.

I agree with you; those Washing Machines are evurl.

Yes, yes they are.

Starmie is too frail even with investment in that tournament and does not do any good with Zard-Y, as many have pointed out; you might use Mandibuzz (no with rock slide) or Empoleon as defogers, if you really think you will be trapped like that. Empoleon is a strange case, since it will not be able to function well under sun, but can be rather supportative and powerful if some defiant boosts are accumulated. Anyway, you'd rather use other Pokémon who have priority, for example; in this case, Muk (lol) or anything with Vacuum Wave (more lol).

I might consider Mandibuzz, seems to be my best bet for defog. I might use him in place of Starmie, so looks like some sort of water type might be in order.

Crustle is a strange Pokémon to use out of Trick Room, but it might be a surprise for many; although it can be a failure if you don't give it full support; it has too many flaws for this game, such as being weak to Rock Slide.

It's just grown on me after I got a shiny one. It's mostly there for rocks, but sounds like I might be dropping those, so I might have to axe it.

An interesting strategy would be having a Ground Type (Krokowhatever with Intimidate, who gained a defensive buff) with a Pokémon with Discharge for the lulz.
I'll think about it. It probably wouldn't fit in with anything else there though :/]

EDIT:
Latest additions will be
Amoonguss@Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
-Spore
-Giga Drain
-Stun Spore
-Clear Smog

This helps with my washing machine problem, as well as being able to spread lots of status around. Giga Drain gives additional recovery, and Clear smog is nice to stop things from setting up.

Mandibuzz@Leftovers (ugh)
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Nature: Bold
-Roost
-Taunt
-Defog
-Foul Play

This is probably replacing Starmie as hazard removal. Taunt shuts down anything that wants to put in trick room. Foul play is sort of my only offensive option due to the lack of an offensive stat on this thing. I'd like to have Knock off, but it's a previous gen move :/
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 17:22 by Awkward Squirtle »

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 20:33 »
*bumps cos updates don't count as notifications

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 20:37 »
Is amoonguss looming tk wall Kanga? If so Rocky Helmet is a very nice item, chopping 1/3 of Kangas health off. Also Rage Powder > Clear Smog is good - set up sweepers are rare in doubles, so Rage Powder has a little more utility IMO.

...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝