Author Topic: Mawilite is being Suspected.  (Read 1566 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Mawilite is being Suspected.
« on: August 06, 2014, 20:34 »
Granted, it isn't banned yet but whaaaaaa?

Okay this is getting a bit ridiculous. Aegislash just went through the roof, and BAM! Mega Mawile is being suspected.

Personally, I see absolutely no problem with Mega Mawile. It virtually cannot touch Heatran outside of Sucker Punch and the not-so-common-in-my-experience Focus Punch (and Sucker Punch is a free burn really). It's not impossible to stop even after Mega Evolution, and before it...those defensive stats are pathetic.

Though I haven't played OU in a bit but...seriously smogon? This mega, ahead of Mega-Pinsir?

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Mawilite is being Suspected.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 21:02 »
I didn't see this one coming for a wile tbh...

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 21:11 »
I didn't see this one coming for a wile tbh...
Shame on you.

I've always had much bigger problems with talonflame than either of those tbh. At least the other two require some level of prediction, "LOL CHOICE BAND BRAYV BURD EVERYTING" and annihilating half the pokemon in existence with crazy priority is something I would've looked into first. Yes it has counters, but needing such niche stuff to not get destroyed is a pain in the arse.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 21:14 »

I never thought Smogon was ban-happy. Until Gen VI came. Perhaps it's the new Pokémon and changes, perhaps it's their lack of imagination... or they are too powerful threats. But Game Freak did know about it. The number of megas was limited to one per team. Steel received a nerf so that Aegislash could have 4 weaknesses (Redundant. Fire and Ground cover Steel, while Ghost and Dark cover almost the same, Ghost in this case). And even added some +10 to some Pokémon (Azumarill is the worst one, getting +10 at Attack... Special Attack). Who knows if GF wanted us to play more defensively so that Mawile eats lard and rocks?

Ironically, they got a way to stop RNG abuse.

To sum it up?

Edit: I have realised most Pokémon (and moves) that have been banned offer 50/50 scenarios. SwagPlay? Remember that? Not to say King's Shield... and now SubSucker.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 21:17 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 21:24 »

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 21:38 »
I find this ban incredibly dumb because MegaCham has just 5 less attack and 50 more speed and to make up for the attack drop it has a 130 BP STAB which completely destroys nearly everything in OU. I don't mind it being suspected, it's just it really isn't the most relevant mega to be suspected, Pinsir, Medicham, Gardevoir, Alakazam and stuff are all worse by far.

On a side note, like half of UU hard counters M-Mawile, it's just OU that struggles xD
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 00:28 »
All I have to say is wtf Smogon, this before Talonflame, Mega pinsir, or latios for gods sake? smh
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 06:00 »
While I agree that other Megas should have come first, lets at least take the time to think about things. Game Freak dropped a ton of things on us this generation, and by their own admission, Mega Evolutions were supposed to have power equal to legendary Pokemon. It's not Smogon's fault they have to ban things, it's Game Freak's fault for upping the power creep without good enough walls to stop them.

That said, here's how I feel about MMaw.

My team is built in a way that accidentally deals fantastically with MMaw. Impish 248/252 Landorus-T can switch into anything standard MMaw can do, assuming full health, but with SR, even a -1 MMaw is dealing up to 45%. To one of the best physical walls in OU. At minus one.

Stall has no chance against MMaw at all. Their best hope is either Intimidate Arcanine, which is hilarious, or defensive Charizard-X, which mainly exists because MMaw exists in OU.

Heatran used to be one of the best counters to MMaw, before it started running SubPunch as commonly as it runs the standard SD set, and now I dare not switch Heatran in early in the game. Skarm switching into SD can be met with Fire Fang, immediately KOing even the most physically defensive Skarmory if Sturdy is broken, which means you'd better keep SR off the field.

Offense has to be very careful with MMaw. It doesn't need to run Speed so the strongest physical attacker in the game also gets to invest in HP, plus Intimidate before Mega evolving, allowing it to setup on many physical attackers that it wouldn't be able to without it. This is important for both SD and Sub sets.

Mawile's Sucker Punch is one of the key aspects about it that makes it so dangerous. Sure, Sucker Punch isn't STAB'd, but it's also stronger than Arceus's Silk Scarf ExtremeSpeed, so STAB isn't really a factor MMaw is concerned about. Sub allows Mawile to force attacks, which allows it to abuse Sucker Punch and Focus Punch.

Steel/Fairy is one of the best defensive typings in the game, giving it no priority move weaknesses, an important resistance to Stealth Rock, and a resistance to Pursuit, allowing it to easily escape from battle when threatened and come back in at an opportune time.

Bold 252/252 Mega Venusaur is 2HKO'd by Iron Head.

I agree, Mega Mawile is not the most pressing issue at hand, but it is a problem because nothing can switch into it, so you have to tech your team with things like Arcanine or have multiple counters to not lose to it, and that often causes you to lose to the majority of teams without MMaw.

The faster this gets out of OU, the faster we can rid ourselves of Medichamite, Gardevoirite and Pinsirite. Good riddance.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:04 by Richard and Blaziken »
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 02:37 »
80/97 people that earned the right to vote, voted to ban Mawilite, with only 59 needed for the ban. This speaks for itself. Bring on the Medichamite suspect test.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 17:07 »
Thing is, Mega-Mawile has intimidate and great defensive typing. Fighting/Psychic is all right but because of Mega-Venasaur, a lot of pokemon actually run Hidden Power Flying. Then there's also the omnipresent Talonflame.
Even though Ground type moves are common in the case of mawile, it still had intimidate that makes it seem a lot more bulky that it really is.
All the other banned pokemon, I've had problems with or caused problems with but I could never get my head around Mega-Medicham. Then again, I don't really see it enough for it to be a problem. Mega-Pinsir on the other hand...