Author Topic: Could we have a separate forum for Nuzlocke and other challenge threads?  (Read 2173 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
Well I'm seeing these topics pop up in forums for all the different game generations, could they not be grouped together in their own forum or sub forum? Plus there could be a sticky on how the different challenge threads work, along with possible extra rules and ideas for making your own challenges.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:52 by Raphetty »

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
I don't think if this were to be implemented it should be Nuzlocke Exclusive; if anything it should be more about PKMN.NET collaboratively (or solo) doing play-throughs of Pokémon games and posting about them; a sticky about Nuzlocke and rules would work but I dunno, I think due to how we are as a community we can highlight a playing together aspect.

I mean, I suggested this in the ideas thread too (not as a board though) but a "PKMN.NET Plays" board could be fantastic. I mean, I've got my Nuzlocke on Emerald being posted up now but I'm considering replaying Red so I'd be happy to post about it in there too (if it became a real board, ofc there's an argument that it's not needed but it'd be really nice to see).

Offline Raphetty

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
Also, as someone who really hates Nuzlockes (don't like the idea of Pokémon dying all the time, not saying they don't die but shouldn't be a common occurrence), it would be nice not to see these threads everywhere I look.  :dry:

I do like other types of challenge such as Scramble where you start a game and each person who posts in the topic can give you a different Pokémon to use, perhaps with extra restrictions on when you are allowed to evolve it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 14:36 by Raphetty »

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Also, as someone who really hates Nuzlockes (don't like the idea of Pokémon dying all the time, not saying they don't die but shouldn't be a common occurrence), it would be nice not to see these threads everywhere I look.  :dry:

Tbf if you do it well they won't die all the time =P

Offline Raphetty

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
Tbf if you do it well they won't die all the time =P

But if they do die it would be as a result of simply losing a battle. And what about all those trainers you are defeating in the game, shouldn't their Pokémon die too? If so, it would be like committing mass murder.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
I think this is a good idea tbh, I've seen it on most other pokemon forums. We could just have a general challenges board. Believe it or not there's more than just nuzlockes, and it'd be good to open up other types of challenges!
As long as there are certain requirements in how you post your thread (almost like the rp tag system?) and what kind of run you're doing. We could have a hall of fame for completed runs etc.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
But if they do die it would be as a result of simply losing a battle. And what about all those trainers you are defeating in the game, shouldn't their Pokémon die too? If so, it would be like committing mass murder.

hmm, I've never actually thought about it like this. This makes it so much darker D:

We could have a hall of fame for completed runs etc.

this would be a fantastic idea, I'm all for it

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
As an argument against this, I feel like the Nuzlocke runs and stuff are the only things being posted in the old game boards. If we move all the Nuzlockes and stuff out, will the boards die again?

I like the idea of a challenge or a PKMN.NET Plays board though, having it all centralized would be really nice for people who like to read them. So yeah, despite the argument against it I like the idea, would be cool.
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile

Nuzlocke, as I view it, is a curse. It is not an epidemic, it is a burden that the player character bears, and the curse is lifted once something has been accomplished (defeating the Elite Four, usually), and that's why I find it so appealing. That, and I very much enjoy doing Nuzlockes alongside someone else and crafting a story out of it. My B/W Nuzlocke with Tim and my X/Y Nuzlocke with Dick have been some of my favorite experiences.

That said, I dunno if it needs its own board, but I kind of understand why you'd want this. I don't think there are really enough to justify it atm, since there are like 2 actively going Nuzlockes that I'm aware of.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile

I do like other types of challenge such as Scramble where you start a game and each person who posts in the topic can give you a different Pokémon to use, perhaps with extra restrictions on when you are allowed to evolve it.

You know it's not real right?
Slowly an old member..

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
My nuzlocke would be ongoing here, but I realized my writing wasn't very good so I stopped posting on the thread.

Nonetheless, I'm kinda on the fence here. The old boards could die out again, plus there aren't enough challenges going on to justify it that way. However, it would be easier to find and read them. Plus we could use the rp tag system (as suggested) and give tips to newcomers.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
Are these threads really that common that it warrants another forum though?
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
Are these threads really that common that it warrants another forum though?
the latest post from about 4-5 of the game forums are about nuzlockes. i mean, it's not like there's much other discussions in those other forums but i personally think there's a decent amount for a nuzlocke forum.

of course, there's also a case about whether or not nuzlocke-ing is something that pkmn.net is necessarily interested in encouraging in the first place.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
I don't think staff really cares about encouraging or discouraging it, but 5 threads in a forum where only like 6 threads are posted in isn't excessive.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
Three active threads in the past month (I just counted).

Not worth it.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!